We had an Earthquake Here on Long Island This Morning

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

We had an Earthquake Here on Long Island This Morning

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yep...3.9 magnitude....at 10:45 am.... I was about 100 miles from the epicenter....darn thing woke me up too...at first I thought it was thundering outside..I looked no Rain hmmmm...then I thought People where moving furniture on the floor above me in the apt. I live in....nope....Earthquake...I didn't even know what it was so I went back to sleep....Oh well.....yawn....Doc :eek:
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I hate earthquakes. They always startle me and put me in a temporary fight mode because I'm usually by myself when things start shaking. (I just assume there's someone in the house)

Glad you're alright though. I need to restock on food since most of my emergency food is close to expiring! This is a good reminder for me since I live in earthquake country.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

property damaged?

be safe
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Yep...3.9 magnitude....at 10:45 am.... I was about 100 miles from the epicenter....darn thing woke me up too...at first I thought it was thundering outside..I looked no Rain hmmmm...then I thought People where moving furniture on the floor above me in the apt. I live in....nope....Earthquake...I didn't even know what it was so I went back to sleep....Oh well.....yawn....Doc :eek:
Aren't you on the wrong side of the country for something like that? :)

Jack
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

we had one outside of Chicago last year. i was at the firehouse and slept right through it :D , the earthwake didn't have anything on the snorers in the bunkroom :p . glad to hear nobody got hurt or anything damaged for you Doc.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

We've had 2 earthquakes in the last couple of months in Norman, OK. I signed up for tornados, not earthquakes!!! Maybe its 2012 starting up :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :p
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

No damage or anything like that...yeah I always thought we were too far away from the other side of the country for stuff like this. There seems to be a fault line running across the Island here from South to North and IIRC there's another someplace upstate NY. This one happened off the east coast...but other then some strange noises, like the earth had indigestion...there wasn't anything more Thank God...Thanks for the concerns...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Glad to hear you're fine, Doc.

I went through a big earthquake in the Philippines back in 1990. I believe it was 7.7 on the Richter scale at the epicenter. We were rocking at around 5.6 at Clark AB. Seems I recall seeing the concrete walls in my room flexing as things were shaking.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Glad you are ok there Doc! Take care and God Bless! ;)
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Earthquakes are amazing. Just think about the amount of energy involved in shaking hundreds of millions of tons of solid rock!!!!! Just awe inspiring
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

TexSierra wrote:Earthquakes are amazing. Just think about the amount of energy involved in shaking hundreds of millions of tons of solid rock!!!!! Just awe inspiring
I have honestly never thought about it like that! Fascinating indeed!
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

jackknifeh wrote:Aren't you on the wrong side of the country for something like that? :)

Jack
Charleston, SC Earthquake, Aug-Sept 1886

New Madrid earthquake of 1811

No one is safe!! At 8.1 - 8.2, the New Madrid Quake is often called the most powerful earthquake to hit the US mainland. The San Francisco quake of 1908 was a 7.8 in comparison.

Here's the last weeks rock-n-roll hits...

j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder: