New Bladeforums dedicated Spyderco for sale sub forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Darkfin

New Bladeforums dedicated Spyderco for sale sub forum

Post by Darkfin »

Greetings,

Spark put up a thread in the feedback forum asking for ideas for new sub forums, and a dedicated Spyderco for sale forum was suggested and is getting some traction. The idea would be similar to the Buck or Busse dedicated for sale forums, the reason being that Spyderco is a dominant player in the general forum, with many folks only looking for Spyderco brand knives (you know who you are :p ).

Anyway, if you like the idea, why not mosey on over and do your democratic +1 duty?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ?p=8935322

Happy Holidays!
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MCM

Post by MCM »

Great idea!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
bh49

Spyderco 4 sale subforum on BF

Post by bh49 »

I love it
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I think it's a great idea. I'm shamelessly one of "those" that are usually looking for Spyderco's :p
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
AJF

Post by AJF »

Great! I went there and cast my vote. :spyder: :)

Andrew
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I think this would be great. Sometimes it can get a little tiresome having to sift through every single post looking only for the Spyderco ones.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm for that.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

One issue that comes to mind is that if you give Spyderco it's own sub forum, what about all the other hundreds of brands of knives? Are they somehow less deserving of their own sub forums as well? I guess what I am asking is what makes Spyderco so exceptional and exclusive that it deserves it's own special forum?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Jay_Ev wrote:One issue that comes to mind is that if you give Spyderco it's own sub forum, what about all the other hundreds of brands of knives? Are they somehow less deserving of their own sub forums as well? I guess what I am asking is what makes Spyderco so exceptional and exclusive that it deserves it's own special forum?
You are here and you have to ask???? This is for people who want to buy "those ugly knives with the big hole in the blade." If that's not special, I don't know what is!
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I put in my vote on it.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jay_Ev wrote:One issue that comes to mind is that if you give Spyderco it's own sub forum, what about all the other hundreds of brands of knives? Are they somehow less deserving of their own sub forums as well? I guess what I am asking is what makes Spyderco so exceptional and exclusive that it deserves it's own special forum?
Just like the Buck and Busse sale areas, it actually does the other brands a favor. It keeps the general sales area from being flooded with posts for one brand. That might be more important than ever given the new way the sales forums are being managed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

To be honest, I prefer the knife-bst.com board for Spyderco buying/selling... Bladeforums is bigger, but bigger isn't always better.

There are quite a few Spyderco sales through the existing forum, and although it woul be nice to make sorting through them easier, it works just fine. If anything, sub-forum sales will attract less attention from the rest of the forum (i.e. those who aren't looking *specifically* for Spydies) and might devalue them, or lose the interest of sellers who have large lots containing multiple brands.
—Daniel Jackson
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

JacksonKnives wrote:To be honest, I prefer the knife-bst.com board for Spyderco buying/selling... Bladeforums is bigger, but bigger isn't always better.

There are quite a few Spyderco sales through the existing forum, and although it woul be nice to make sorting through them easier, it works just fine. If anything, sub-forum sales will attract less attention from the rest of the forum (i.e. those who aren't looking *specifically* for Spydies) and might devalue them, or lose the interest of sellers who have large lots containing multiple brands.
Bigger means more offerings. As far as Spyderco getting less attention, that is doubtful based on the popularity of the Busse forum since it split off a couple of years back.

If you are selling multiple brands including a Spyderco, you should still list in the main forum.

A Spyderco sub forum isn't a reward for a deserving company, it is simply a traffic management tool. For those who don't want Spydies (I hear rumors they do exist), this gets the holey knives outta their way. (At present, nine of the first 25 threads making up page one are Spyderco threads.*) For those who do want Spydies, it gets the non-holey knives outta the way. Win-win.

*By comparison, there are 5 BM, 3 EESE/kin, 2 Casexx, 2 Bradley, and 1 each of Strider, Boker, Fehrman & Enzo
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Put in my vote yesterday. I am Liveitoud over there.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

+1
i never and i mean not even once bought anything other than a spydie. i do the same thing you all do and browse till i see sals namesake. :D
i hate when people just write "a bunch for sale" or " knives fs or t" and i have to go digging.

this way, just like kbst is mostly spy, we can all shop a little easier and get only what we want.
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I contributed. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, if you had some whatevertheheck brand that never comes up for sale, a dedicated forum for just that knife wouldn't get much if any hits and would go to waste.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Darkfin wrote:Bigger means more offerings. As far as Spyderco getting less attention, that is doubtful based on the popularity of the Busse forum since it split off a couple of years back.

If you are selling multiple brands including a Spyderco, you should still list in the main forum.
That's the problem, though...

The Busse forum is for "hogs"; they know what they want (anything with INFI will sell...) and they know the re-sell market is there if they want to take advantage of it.

Spyderco users are, for the most part, general knife enthusiasts. Certainly there is a population of us who only buy/collect Spydies, but that's not the case for the majority. he sub-forum would not be bigger, it would be smaller. Where an EDC spydie might get 50 pageviews on the general FS forum, it might only get 10 on a sub-forum. So long as it's the right knife at the right price you won't have any trouble selling to the Spyderco community, but you're weeding out the newbs and generalists who might buy a knife they know little/nothing about.

The multi-brand threads are what makes this a bad idea, IMHO. You're splitting up sales of similar knives, and making it more difficult for sellers to keep track of what they've listed. For Busse, that makes sense (Hogs only want INFI anyway); for Buck collectors, that makes sense (they're looking to buy and to sell collectibles); for me as a Spyderco user, the collectibility is second to EDC practicality--I like looking at multi-brand sale threads, even though I'll more consistently buy Spydercos.

I'll continue to use the forums either way, I'm just sayin' it's not the most logical distinction to make (even if you can't stand Spyderco, you'll still see the knives in multi-brand sale threads.)
—Daniel Jackson
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Darkfin wrote:If you are selling multiple brands including a Spyderco, you should still list in the main forum.
OK so now a buyer has to check TWO forums: The main forum and the Spyderco specific sub-forum. This doesn't make it easier or more convenient; quite the opposite. Checking multiple forums is time consuming. Plus, if that ultra-rare highly collectible Spydie is listed in the main forum in a post with multiple brands, a collector could miss out on it.
(At present, nine of the first 25 threads making up page one are Spyderco threads.*)
In the interest of fairness, there have been plenty of times where ZERO threads on page one are Spyderco threads.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Done. :spyder: