Police 3 vs. Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FissionMailed

Police 3 vs. Military?

Post by FissionMailed »

I've been looking into getting a larger folder and I've narrowed it down to the Police 3 and the Left Handed Military Model. What do you guys think I should go for? Thanks in advance.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

Both are nice but the Military gets my vote. Lighter weight, thicker blade, tons of blade and handle, S30V is very tough, flow through construction (easier cleaning), great ergos.
R@y

Post by R@y »

Handwrecker wrote:Both are nice but the Military gets my vote. Lighter weight, thicker blade, tons of blade and handle, S30V is very tough, flow through construction (easier cleaning), great ergos.
+1. I prefer the LH Military over the Police3 but when it comes to handle to blade ratio the Police gets my vote for comfort in the pocket. Good luck with your choice, both are excellent blades ;)
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i dont have a millie yet, my police is in my pocket now,, only know it when i feel for it. yep, still there. yea the millie has the thicker blade, s30v. the police has vg-10 and 3/8" more reach. i think the police might have a more effective handle if used for striking in a non lethal defensive move. just an opinion not based on experience, but there is the mass of steel in the Police 3 handle vs the millies all g10 handle.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I have/had both at one point or another, police is more slender and fits better in pocket, especially slacks which have smaller pockets than jeans, plus it can carry left/right, tip up/down. That said I prefer the blade shape of military, police blade is too stabby for me as general use EDC, and narrow handle is not as comfortable as the wide military handle when cutting with force.
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

No one has mentioned blade shape so far. I do not have the police - but it seems to have less of a sweep to the belly than the Military (which I do have). For cutting or food prep I would take the blade with the deeper belly. Moreover the Military is a light blade - its even lighter than the smaller Tenacious.

Yes the Millie is a liner lock - but its solid - easy to clean and lets face it...its one of Spyderco's most sold big folder. So many customers can't be wrong eh? If I had the choice over again I would still have made the same purchase.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

These two knives are similar enough that I would recommend the Police 3 to anyone who wants a lock back Military. The P3 is a little more slender, and while the blade and handle shapes are different, the ergonomic style is extremely familiar when in hand.

If you are a lefty it would be a crime to not get a left handed Military.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
Manix Guy 2

As A Lefty

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

As a lefty , I have 3 Police LH and the LH Military , all I can say is if you want a a lockback go Police if not you will be very happy with the LH Military . Regards MG2
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

Honestly, it's 6's. You'll probably get both. I'd say, get the one you can get the most screaming deal on.

I started with the Police and it is a rock solid blade/lock. No matter what I've done to it, zero blade play.

The Military is iconic here. It won't fail you. Both have endured the test of time. Both have served on the streets and in the sand box. For you, that means win-win. You can't loose. Let us know which you pick up. Then use it and report back.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Military.
Better blade shape, better steel, deploys faster, more comfortable, lighter, comes in more variations.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FissionMailed

Post by FissionMailed »

So the military blade is stronger? Like less prone to breaking?
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I'd say so.
The PIIII has a much thinner and narrower tip
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

To be fair, I have to say that the military outruns the millie in terms of looks by a mile....the millie is really more of an edc knife to me, and the p3 is more of a duty knife for mainly sd and some edc tasks. It's almost like the difference between the Matriarch and the Tasman Salt to me- Matriarch is really only for SD and Salt is a great edc tasker
FissionMailed

Post by FissionMailed »

Which has the stronger lock though?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

FissionMailed wrote:Which has the stronger lock though?
It's not going to matter unless you have surgically replaced your hands with a breaker bar and steel vice. :)
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

Lockbacks are always stronger than liners. I do like how you can close the liner (military) one handed. Lockbacks are more difficult to close one-handed, and sometimes you risk cutting your finger using inertia to close.
DM11

Post by DM11 »

I prefer the Military. :)
Hold Fast

David
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

SnowCrash wrote:Lockbacks are always stronger than liners. I do like how you can close the liner (military) one handed. Lockbacks are more difficult to close one-handed, and sometimes you risk cutting your finger using inertia to close.
Not if you choke up your index finger so it hits the tang/choil when blade comes down.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SnowCrash wrote:Lockbacks are always stronger than liners. I do like how you can close the liner (military) one handed. Lockbacks are more difficult to close one-handed, and sometimes you risk cutting your finger using inertia to close.
I think that it would depend on the specs of a particular knife. A well executed liner lock will also be stronger than a poorly executed lockback.