Szabofly Review

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
DaBird

Szabofly Review

Post by DaBird »

Hi All ----- I wrote this review about a month ago and just cut and pasted it here for those that never seen it;

I've had my Szabofly around a week and it was time to post MY thoughts on this Bali --- to each their own.

It was designed by Laci Szabo , who makes/designes some of the most wicked fighting blades on the planet. He was in the French SFs and is a well known Martial Artist as well.

While the Szabofly is at first look , kinda goofy looking , it is a TRUE Fighting Bali.

In pic 1 --- you will see a large "hump" on the tang , with the bali closed , this protrusion is very usefull for "prying" or impacting bone or close to the surface nerves etc.

In pic 2 , you can see it is a very slim bali compared to a BM -- this makes it easy to carry in your pocket and keeps the weight down which makes it fast in the hand.

In pic 3 , you see how it looks in the "foil or sabre" grip --- Mr. Szabo has made the grip shape where it really "locks" into your hand while gripped this way. IMHO , when held like this -- it would be VERY hard to have the knife dislodged and almost impossable for your hand to slide down onto the blade during a hard thrust or slash.

In pic 4 , you can see the knife held in the "dagger/ice pick" grip -- it is as secure and comfortable as almost any knife I've ever used in Pikal/ Arnis / Eskrima and again , with a hard slash or power thrust -- your hand will stay on the grip and should not slip off.

In pic 5 , you can see the usefullness of the "goofy" large curve on the back of the blade --- in the pic , I am "trapping" the arm and you can see that a quick thrust to the chest would follow next. The "curve" is also usefull for a "pass" where you redirect a incomeing arm/hand or weapon.

By now , you should be able to tell --- I LIKE THIS BALI as a pure fighter It is thin , fast , balanced , great point , sharp as **** and usefull closed as well.

What don't I like about it ?? Well , AT FIRST -- it feels "assbackwards" as far as how you hold it to open --- it DOES NOT lock with the latch when opened -- and it is a bit harder to do a "dagger drop" {my #1 fast deployment method } .

As some may know -- I've carried a Bali for EDC for over 20 years , BUT in reality , I DON'T consider myself as a "flipper" like Loosey , Zoid , and some of these other Young Guns.

BUT , I DO KNOW a good FIGHTING bali when I see/handle one and this is A FIGHTER !! Do a search on youtube , you will see some IMPRESSIVE demos of the Szabofly being "flipped".

In closeing --- this bali is a KEEPER !!!!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

not that I know anything about this bali, but that is a really good review for some very key reasons.

It sure would make a good impact weapon when closed due to the design.

Also, I don't think the latch drop is what it was designed for. How good are you at quick draws? The different weighting of the handles makes latch drops seem like they would be difficult while it may aid in the quick draw.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy