Spyides Guys....*Please Read*

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Think the "shiny footprints" principle was meant to apply primarily to bashing competitors. There's an entire sub-forum here for posting fakes and frauds, and complaints about dealer service have been posted here before. The fact that some folks have had positive experiences with Spydieguys does not change the fact that a number of others have had negative ones and that Jess has, on more than one occasion, replied to legitimate complaints in a less than businesslike manner. The theory that, after making a major show of leaving eBay, he returned almost immediately under another name, appears to have been borne out by that seller quickly bailing once folks started connecting the dots. I think making the folks here aware of that duplicity falls into the same category as postings about "replicas and fakes".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks Cosmo. Most of the times ebay is my only choice when I wanna buy a knife.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

The Deacon wrote:Think the "shiny footprints" principle was meant to apply primarily to bashing competitors. There's an entire sub-forum here for posting fakes and frauds, and complaints about dealer service have been posted here before. The fact that some folks have had positive experiences with Spydieguys does not change the fact that a number of others have had negative ones and that Jess has, on more than one occasion, replied to legitimate complaints in a less than businesslike manner. The theory that, after making a major show of leaving eBay, he returned almost immediately under another name, appears to have been borne out by that seller quickly bailing once folks started connecting the dots. I think making the folks here aware of that duplicity falls into the same category as postings about "replicas and fakes".
Telling untruths or half-truths about the guy is not OK. I'd also suggest that shiny-footprints covers a dealer who probably sells (or sold,...) as many as 10,0000 spydercos a year. Most of the complaints I've heard about him were about listing knives for sale that he didn't yet have in hand--not generally expected on ebay bust not uncommon with other e-tailers. There were no complaints I'm aware of where spydieguys was accused of selling fakes, frauds or frankenspyders. I've ended up being an apologist for this guy, which I don't want to be. I just believe that he's gotten a rough shake and don't like character assassinations generally, and those which deal in untruths specifically.
cosmo7809 wrote:Image
As for this cartoon--I watched the 2 videos titled "Bye Bye Ebay" Pts. 1 and 2 and didn't see this video. Now I have. Here's my apology. Sorry I missed that. Spydieguys' use of a common if not ubiquitous car window sticker is still not the same in my mind as "the ebay name being urinated on."
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

That calvin right?
Frank Castle is Dead. I am the Punisher.

Spyder Counter: :spyder::spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

2cha wrote:Telling untruths or half-truths about the guy is not OK. I'd also suggest that shiny-footprints covers a dealer who probably sells (or sold,...) as many as 10,0000 spydercos a year. Most of the complaints I've heard about him were about listing knives for sale that he didn't yet have in hand--not generally expected on ebay bust not uncommon with other e-tailers. There were no complaints I'm aware of where spydieguys was accused of selling fakes, frauds or frankenspyders. I've ended up being an apologist for this guy, which I don't want to be. I just believe that he's gotten a rough shake and don't like character assassinations generally, and those which deal in untruths specifically.

As for this cartoon--I watched the 2 videos titled "Bye Bye Ebay" Pts. 1 and 2 and didn't see this video. Now I have. Here's my apology. Sorry I missed that. Spydieguys' use of a common if not ubiquitous car window sticker is still not the same in my mind as "the ebay name being urinated on."
Didn't say he sold fakes or frankenspyders, although he often made questionable representations as to the rarity of knives which at least some would classify as fraudulent. As for the complaints, guess we read different ones. I've seen complaints for them shipping the wrong item, then being impossible to communicate with, for billing for items and not shipping them, and for some incredibly rude responses to legitimate inquiries.

You don't see that cartoon as "the ebay name being urinated on", I do. You would only consider him calling eBay "every name in the book" if it included profanity, I'd disagree with you there as well.

Perhaps the OP could have been a bit more tactful, but the fact is, a dealer who had been deceptive in the past was once again being deceptive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

2cha, as you have noted one sentence in my original post was inaccurate. It has been edited out.

Also, like Deacon I see the cartoon depicting just what its doing.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

cosmo7809 wrote:Ok, first I want to say I know Sal and the crew are not fans of alot of trash talking about other people on the forum. I completely understand that. I hope we can all act like grownups here and have a adult conversation. Please guys, no name calling, no cursing, nothing that will make Sal upset as this is his home.

The facts:
Ok, so... As we all know Jess from spydieguy's is not the greatest of people.
He has a past negative history here at the forums that I will not bring up. As most know he had a very large ebay store. Selling products of spyderco, Phiten, surefire, etc. About a month a month ago he made an announcement(on youtube and his website) that "spydieguys" will stop selling on ebay for a number of reasons. You can see why in his youtube videos. He has a picture of the ebay name being urinated on. So fast foward to about a week ago. As usual I am searching ebay for spyderco's when I come across a seller named habadash2010 whose pictures look a little too familiar. Then I see seller location is Texas. And finally all of his products being sold are spydercos and Phitens... Ummm....
You know Sal isn't a fan but you did it anyway, your post is trashing someone. Your 'facts' are like the 'evidence' that UFOs exist. Reading a post on the internet does make the content fact. Repeating something over and over does not make it a fact.

I wouldn't bother responding to 'another internet post' but I have personally purchased many Spyderco knives from Spydieguys on eBay and one from habadash2010. I too think it is either the same person or someone close, but I don't care, they had/have good auctions, they quickly ship exactly what I bid on and pack it very well. Perhaps someone did have a bad experience with them, let it go, some people, unbelievably, claim to have had a bad experience with Spyderco. :spyder: :eek: You just can't please everyone all of the time.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Your one of the guys who like him... I do not.

Just because YOU never had a problem with him doesn't mean that others have not or will not have a problem.

Seems as though most of the people posting here agree, so at least I know I am not alone.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

dont worry cosmo his rep speaks for himself.

pinetree,
i think the post was not to trash jess. like i said we all know how bad he is. the post was to not be fooled by him twice. if i saw a knife i wanted from this seller i would have bought it without thinking. but had i known it was jess i wouldnt have based on previous bad transactions with him. i think it was more of a heads up for those who dislike jess and his business practices and dont want to use him. he made a huge deal about leaving ebay. so cosmo just wanted to give people a heads up it could be jess back again under a new name...
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Is it really any of our business if Jess decides he wants to sell on ebay again? Yes I watched his youtube channel, in fact I'm a subscriber to it. I know Jess has wronged some people here and there are bad feelings about that. However if you have never had a bad experience and are spouting off because you HEARD Jess was a horrible guy, please stop. Personally I've purchased probably 5 knives from Jess, all of them I got for a very good price and Jess has very reasonable shipping rates. I recieved everyone of them within 10 business days of my payment, which is unheard of here. They were all in perfect shape and each time I left Jess positive feedback. That was my experience with him, if you haven't had a bad experience with him, then please refraim from tarring and feathering him based on second and third hand experiances from the internet.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

FLYBYU44, if spyderco decided to stop doing business with one of your favorite online retailers then about a month later went back with them wouldn't you like to know why?

Sure, its none of our "business" but I think we all have some sort of vested interest. If my hard earned money is going somewhere I'd like to know where its going.

"spouting off because you HEARD Jess was a horrible guy"

I did not hear anything, I witnessed it first hand.

I did not refer to anything I "heard" in the first post. Sure I said he has problems on the forums in the past. Was it true? Yes. Did I say he left ebay? Yes. Did I say he went back to ebay and it was true? Yes. Not once do I speak on actions about spydiesguys from another persons experience.
Where I linked to bladeforums you see I say read FROM post #96. I do not mention anything that happened in the thread before that post.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

SmoothOne25 wrote:dont worry cosmo his rep speaks for himself.

pinetree,
i think the post was not to trash jess. like i said we all know how bad he is. the post was to not be fooled by him twice. if i saw a knife i wanted from this seller i would have bought it without thinking. but had i known it was jess i wouldnt have based on previous bad transactions with him. i think it was more of a heads up for those who dislike jess and his business practices and dont want to use him. he made a huge deal about leaving ebay. so cosmo just wanted to give people a heads up it could be jess back again under a new name...
Yes, like virus warning chain emails. :)

Seriously, the buyer is in the drivers seat on eBay so I am not worried about going there regardless of the seller. I have added many rare Spyderco knives to my collection from eBay. At the same time I have purchased Spyderco products from Spyderco directly, two local suppliers, most all of the online sellers listed in various posts here and from individuals on BF.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

cosmo7809 wrote:FLYBYU44, if spyderco decided to stop doing business with one of your favorite online retailers then about a month later went back with them wouldn't you like to know why?

Sure, its none of our "business" but I think we all have some sort of vested interest. If my hard earned money is going somewhere I'd like to know where its going.

"spouting off because you HEARD Jess was a horrible guy"

I did not hear anything, I witnessed it first hand.

I did not refer to anything I "heard" in the first post. Sure I said he has problems on the forums in the past. Was it true? Yes. Did I say he left ebay? Yes. Did I say he went back to ebay and it was true? Yes. Not once do I speak on actions about spydiesguys from another persons experience.
Where I linked to bladeforums you see I say read FROM post #96. I do not mention anything that happened in the thread before that post.
I wasn't entirely referring to you specifically, there are alot of other people here now and on the other past threads on this subject who like to stoke the fires with second hand experiences. The point I was trying to make is that if you haven't directly had a bad experience with Jess, then maybe you shouldn't talk about what a horrible guy he is, I've heard all the bad experiences regarding Jess too, but since I have never experienced them then I won't tarnish his name based on other people's experiences.

And it is no concern of mine if Spyderco decides to drop dealers and then at a later date start dealing with them again, that is their own business decision.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 139&page=5
5.56 wrote:I've always suspected them of shill bidding too. It's impossible to track now with eBays new policy on hiding the bidder's identity. But here's a small snapshot of what looks like shill bidding to me. This buyer ddtcity won over 30 auctions in a two week period. And I watched this happen with this same buyer for months, he has won hundreds of Spydieguys auctions. Note the private feedback too. With this guy bidding on almost every Spydieguys auction, you can forget about sniping a low price.

And this is only two weeks :eek:

Or I may be wrong and this ddtcity guy has a knife addiction problem that rivals anyone on this forum. :o If that's the case, my apologies.

Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:29
Spyderco .. BUG KNIFE, Spyderco's smallest folder (#230446012047) US $6.50
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:28
Spyderco .. SuperHawk w/ Peel-Ply Carbon Fiber Scales (#230447658082) US $112.50
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:28
Spyderco .. Delica 4 w/ GREEN frn scales, LIMITED #114 (#230447831464) US $67.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:27
Spyderco .. Delica 4 w/ GRAY frn scales, LIMITED #114 (#230447831847) US $70.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:27
Spyderco .. Michael Walker in Carbon Fiber, SPRINT RUN (#260564169661) US $105.50
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:26
Spyderco .. AQUA SALT Fixed-Blade w/ H1 Steel, PE YL (#230447942329) US $62.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:26
Spyderco .. Endura 4 w/ BROWN frn scales, LIMITED #114 (#260566549753) US $76.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:25
Spyderco .. Endura 4 w/ BLUE frn scales, LIMITED #114 (#260566553012) US $76.10
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:25
Spyderco .. LADYBUG 3 in BK FRN, spyder-edge (#280476454368) US $21.49
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:24
Spyderco .. Endura 4 w/ GRAY frn scales, LIMITED #114 (#280476641084) US $68.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:24
Spyderco .. Dragonfly in black FRN, plain edge, NEW (#280476769898) US $26.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:23
Spyderco .. LADYBUG 3 in Foliage Green, Spyderedge (#280476781216) US $20.50
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-01-10 14:22
HUSKY TORX Driver with 8 bit sizes for Spyderco CLIPS (#280476783817) US $6.50
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:20
Bill's Cases 6" Zebra folder case for your Spyderco 's (#230448962145) US $5.88
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:19
Spyderco .. BUG KNIFE, Spyderco's smallest folder (#230450082017) US $4.31
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:17
Spyderco .. LADYBUG 3 in BK FRN, spyder-edge (#260568158314) US $16.50
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:16
Spyderco .. SuperHawk w/ Peel-Ply Carbon Fiber Scales (#260569378208) US $119.99
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:14
Spyderco .. HoneyBee Big Bro' to the BUG, SS, plainedge (#260569722369) US $7.02
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:13
Spyderco .. TATOO Dragonfly SS, Chromatic etching (#280478147111) US $43.07
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:12
eGEAR .. PICO LIGHT (zip puller) attachable LED light (#260567357104) US $3.75
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:10
Spyderco .. Endura 4 w/ GREEN frn scales, LIMITED (#230448437797) US $48.51
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:09
Spyderco .. ENDURA 4, Foliage Green, Digital Camo, NIB (#230448679066) US $36.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:08
Spyderco .. Michael Walker in Carbon Fiber, SPRINT RUN (#260567356608) US $116.11
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:07
Spyderco .. ENDURA 4 in beautiful stainless steel, CE (#260567705004) US $51.88
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:06
Spyderco .. NATIVE made in USA, plain edge, clip-it (#260567732406) US $46.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:05
Bill's Cases 6" Zebra folder case for your Spyderco 's (#280477363153) US $4.25
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:02
Spyderco .. LUM Chinese BLACK BLADE Foliage Green (#280477363528) US $86.14
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:01
Spyderco .. Gayle Bradley Folder, M4 Steel, Twill CF (#280477623070) US $116.99
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:00
Spyderco .. BUG Knife Necklace w/ 24" chain steel chain (#280477632289) US $4.00
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 10:00
Spyderco .. TASMAN SALT, plain edge, H1 Steel, NIB (#280477640849) US $38.01
Member id ddtcity (private) Apr-12-10 09:58
Spyderco .. SAGE II Ti Edition, just released. CPM S30V (#280477662317) US $143.50

the most interesting post and something that I have been keeping an eye out for the past year.
In omnia paratus
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

Does this ddtcity guy ever bid on any other sellers' auctions? If not, then I would probably say your right.
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

redyps04 wrote:Does this ddtcity guy ever bid on any other sellers' auctions? If not, then I would probably say your right.
ddtcity bought 29 Surefire flashlights and Spyderco knives from an ebay seller named "tacticaltool" between Nov 8, 2008 and Dec 13, 2008. There may be more, however I did not look any further back as tacticaltool had over 1100 seller feedbacks before he stopped selling in December '09.
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pinetreebbs

Time Out

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Time out please.

I really like posting here. Not just because I am a huge Spyderco fan. I really like Sal's posted philosophy of shinning footprints.

When I read things like, 'I do not like him', 'I've always suspected them', and 'we all know how bad he is', taken as fact I have to call a time out, suspicions are not facts. Just because someone has a suspicion does not make it a fact. It is especially bothersome when I have personal experience that contradicts these suspicions. Spydieguys had a lot of auctions, some ended on odd days/times so the price was often very low. If they had shill bidders they sure didn't do a very good job. I liked to win those auctions and get a bargain, it's what auctions are all about. If there is another seller that follows that path I will buy from them too, even if it the same or similar seller. It may be another family member or former employees that started a similar business, without facts we can only assume it to be the same person.

[CENTER]
“Don't be too annoying and don't be too easily annoyed.”
[/CENTER]
Donut

Post by Donut »

One way to see if someone is falsely winning auctions is to see if the items that have been won come back up in another auction. Maybe a rare or collector's edition model would be a sure find.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

On a positive note...if you are going to use eBay to buy Spydies check out "Poor_Fish"

FAST shipping, Cheap prices and crazy Buy-it-now's. I trust that seller more than brick and mortar stores.

I have nothing against Spydieguys but have never bought from them.

Edit: Might as well be friendly to the other sellers I know of as a consumer...

* Knife Center has some of the best "deals" on the planet
* CutleryShoppe is terrific and has great prices as well.

I have never waited longer than 2 days to get an intelligent response from any of those folks. I hear great things about New Graham as well.

The point is, there are many people out there selling great knives at silly prices. If you are concerned at all just move on to another seller. Risk vs Reward is the name of the game.

If you get personally attached to a knife and feel like you are taking a risk to save $5 it might be worth considering eating a Subway $5 special instead of a $10 burger.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I used to be a big fan of poor_fish.

But after a couple of auctions that I paid for and then they emailed me to tell me that the items were "out of stock" or that the stock was "damaged" and then, I left them neutral feedback. So, because of the neutral feedback, they banned me from their auctions.

I felt that they were using those excuses to avoid selling the items at the bid price, so I would not recommend them, either.

I had one issue with spydieguys, so I will not use them or habadash2010, either. The Arlington, TX borderline is right across the street from Mansfield in many locations, so I am 99.9% certain that this is the same seller. He is already racking up negative feedback, too.

I prefer to use sellers that deliver on service, in-stock, and fair pricing.