What clipped models do you carry, sans clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fishwatcher

What clipped models do you carry, sans clip?

Post by fishwatcher »

For me, I recently re-discovered my black almite co-pilot. The clip on the knife makes about 1/3 of the knife handle stick up out of my pocket. Seems very odd, for such a small knife.

I've removed the clip (again.. as I did this a year or more ago.. then for some reason added it back) and am carrying it as a super small and slim knife in my jeans coin pocket.

Does anybody else do this?

What model of clipped Spyderco do you carry, without a clip?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Delica.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

My carbon fiber Michael Walker.

Great knife but the clip... heh... Feels like the knife is going to fall out of the pocket when clipped.
imhawley

Clipless

Post by imhawley »

My preferred method of carry for Spyderco's lately is clipless at the bottom of my back left pocket. I'm sitting on a Para 1 right now but do the same with Stretch FRN and CF, Salt 1, Delica, Sage and, depending on the width of the pocket, Chokwe. Thin without thumbstuds works great for this type of carry IMO.
fishwatcher

Post by fishwatcher »

cosmo7809 wrote:My carbon fiber Michael Walker.

Great knife but the clip... heh... Feels like the knife is going to fall out of the pocket when clipped.
One of my favorite knives, except for the clip was the blue almite Walker.

In fact, the pic in my signature is how I'd like the clip to be modified, to not show so much of the handle. I never got that mod done unfortunately.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My 75 mm Persian doesn't have clip at all, when scales were replaced I didn't want to have clip or lanyard hole.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I usually carry clipless. Right now, my old Zowada with micarta handles and my BobT.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only one I ever carry with a clip on it is my Lava, because I use it as a money clip. Aside from that, and my Kiwis which never had clips, everything else - C83 and C105 Persians, Stretch and Stretch II, Caly 3 and 3.5, Native, Calypso Jr, and R2 - all have had their clips removed and ride loose in my pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I use the clips on everything I carry. The only clips I remove are on original Byrds, because they're just way too strong.
:bug-red-white
JustChuck

(Tim) Wegner Jr., (PE) clipless is my EDC.

Post by JustChuck »

I've carried a (Tim) Wegner Jr., (PE) clipless for at least 8-10 years now... It was the bigest knife I could put the in the pocket of a business suit... and when I got it out, no civilian really became scared. Yet it is big enough and strong enough to do some honest work. The ATS-34 would hold a good edge... and I always soften the edges on the backs of the blades and around the Spydie-Hole.

I am about to change to a Micheal Walker CF PE (clipless) but I have to soften all the sharp edges (except the blade of course). Before the Wegner Jr., I carried an original Michael Walker from which I ground off the plastic clip.

Love Spydercos... can't do clips unless I am on the farm or in the woods...

Wish I had the guts to carry my new VG-10 Damascus Delica... but its a little heavy for EDC... and I would stuggle to abuse a $300 knife as an EDC. But it is so very pretty and so very sharp.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I have removed the clips from all 3 of my Kopas - (Deacon: I don't have a machinist at my disposal, but I've found that a piece of properly trimmed HVAC aluminum tape looks almost as good to fill the attachment "pad"), the Kopas carry much slimmer that way. Removed clip from my Native as well, and she is a very slim back pocket carry now ... starting to re-assess all my clipped knives ... finding that dedicating a back pocket or change pocket to a knife may be preferred over clipping ...
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
bdj357

Post by bdj357 »

My Co-pilot sits in my pocket. Usually used as a money clip. Sometimes just by itself!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I've never carried without the clip. :eek:

There are a few that I carry loose inside a pocket without using the clip for attachment -- Leafstorm, Jess Horn Sprint, Apple Coral Kopa, UKPK DP. I eventually go back to using the clip, so I've never removed any of them.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I have a Lava and Cricket that I carry without clips, great small folders that are smooth enough for clipless pocket carry.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I carry the Lava without clip. It's a nice little "dress" knife, flat and smooth in the pocket, albeit a tad heavy.
Ritt

Post by Ritt »

Balance. Don't know why they clipped this one, would be nice without the holes.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

my jess horn......i found it in a pawn shop, no clip. ordered one from spyderco and got the wrong one. so still no clip, but rides in my pocket.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I don't use wire clips. In my case that would be my Sage II and my dragonfly. They get carried loosely in my front right pocket.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I like my small "gentleman's" knifes thin and light for suit pockets. I carry a ladybug H1 and a baby Goddard frequently for this reason. I've just received a new Chicago CF, which I removed the clip on - it is a great little carrier.

I've got a balance coming as well - and I agree with Ritt, I don't know why they bothered clipping that knife...

Cheers!
TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

When I was in the corporate world, I carried a Baby Goddard every day for years...What a great little knife!