Zip Tie Madness! (w/pictures)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jakemug

Zip Tie Madness! (w/pictures)

Post by Jakemug »

It's in the photos forum, but I decided to do a zip tie wave on my new Tasman Salt after receiving it in the mail today. Saw some review online that gave me the idea. Well, it worked so well I spent the last half hour on several of my other Spydies. I know it's not a secret and plenty of folks have done it, but can't get over how well it works on every single one! I've tried them all multiple times and haven't had one fail to open quick and solid yet.

I even broke out the ole' stainless Delica II and moved the clip for tip-down carry so I could tie mod her also.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Weak hand carry and deployment for primary weapon retention(wow! sounds pompus even to me) :p

[url=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OndEVzgo9mI?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OndEVzgo9mI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OndEVzgo9mI?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OndEVzgo9mI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/url]
polkhigh

Post by polkhigh »

Jakemug wrote:It's in the photos forum, but I decided to do a zip tie wave on my new Tasman Salt after receiving it in the mail today. Saw some review online that gave me the idea. Well, it worked so well I spent the last half hour on several of my other Spydies. I know it's not a secret and plenty of folks have done it, but can't get over how well it works on every single one! I've tried them all multiple times and haven't had one fail to open quick and solid yet.

I even broke out the ole' stainless Delica II and moved the clip for tip-down carry so I could tie mod her also.

I see you are over on this forum as well :) ...Glad you got the knife. Looks great with your collection.

I have zip ties on my Stretch and Cat and they work great.
Jakemug

Post by Jakemug »

polkhigh wrote:I see you are over on this forum as well :) ...Glad you got the knife. Looks great with your collection.

I have zip ties on my Stretch and Cat and they work great.
Ha! What a small internet! Yep, after a slight Paypal malfunction I got it fast. Thanks again.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Jake just wait till you get the waved Endura...you'll start carving all your spydies to make them waves after you get over the zip-tie madness...Enjoy!....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Jakemug

Post by Jakemug »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ay Jake just wait till you get the waved Endura...you'll start carving all your spydies to make them waves after you get over the zip-tie madness...Enjoy!....Doc :D
The Dremel is warming up as we speak... :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I came real close to dremeling my last Delica but after comparing the two blades i realized that it's not quite that simple...there's more blade at the top of the waved version. You can probably still make it work but i didn't wanna risk it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Evil D wrote:I came real close to dremeling my last Delica but after comparing the two blades i realized that it's not quite that simple...there's more blade at the top of the waved version. You can probably still make it work but i didn't wanna risk it.
Be aware I once (IIRC) Sal saying if you dremel a wave into the Delica or Endura I might weaken the strength of the blade a bit....best to get the models already factory waved....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah i decided to just zip tie it...much easier and less permanent ;)
~David
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

I tried it and didn't care for it because it would catch and partly open even if I didn't want it to.

On the other hand, I put some zip ties on the subpar oval openers of a Buck Vantage and AG Russell to act as a thumbstud and that worked great.
Jakemug

Post by Jakemug »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Be aware I once (IIRC) Sal saying if you dremel a wave into the Delica or Endura I might weaken the strength of the blade a bit....best to get the models already factory waved....Doc :D
Ok, Dremel is cooling down now...
gb12549

Post by gb12549 »

Has anyone tried a metal alternative to a zip tie? I love the the quick deploy, but haven't found a more aesthetic version of a zip tie mod ( without the cutting) yet
delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

I too have suffered from a little zip tie madness! check it out. the endura is my dads.
Image :spyder: love
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

With the wave feature, wouldn't it prematurely wear out the lock bar/stop pin?
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Frapiscide wrote:With the wave feature, wouldn't it prematurely wear out the lock bar/stop pin?
Depends on how hard you're snapping it out of your pocket, same as how hard you snap it open with your thumb or other method of opening.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There are few knives that don't work well with the zip-tie.

I find that the easier a knife is to get out of your pocket (FRN/Steel, etc) the more successful the improvised wave is. Heavier blades also aid the process.
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

I think we all go through a zip-tie wave phase :) I found that for EDC use, it worked great. Pressure draw in stress defensive scenarios, no one could get it to work reliably, so we abandoned it on those knives.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

A waved ladybug? How did that work out for ya?

delicafreak wrote:I too have suffered from a little zip tie madness! check it out. the endura is my dads.
Image :spyder: love
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I did a mod on my delica a ways back and posted it on here. It doesn't weaken the blade unless you really go to town on that bad boy and don't seem to care about thickness or heat. If you keep it close to the waved versions in width of the shinogi-ji (flat spot above the grind) you should be fine as long as you don't wreck the heat treatment.

If the thickness of the shinogi really causes that much weakness, then FFG blades would all suck, and the whole Szabo series would be weak. Being that the Szabofly is ridiculously awesome, I doubt that you will really destroy the integrity by doing the mod.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

gb12549 wrote:Has anyone tried a metal alternative to a zip tie? I love the the quick deploy, but haven't found a more aesthetic version of a zip tie mod ( without the cutting) yet
i remember someone posting on here with a metal alternative to the zip-tie. he bent it around the hole and it looked cleaner than the zip-tie. do a search and you might find it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D