Knives with Emerson opener

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Knives with Emerson opener

Post by jackknifeh »

I've been considering a knife with the Emerson opener but have been concerned about pulling it out of my pocket and opening it when I didn't want it to open. How easy is it to get it out without opening the blade until I want to? Any advice or info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

I have found , to get the knife out without deploying the blade, I turn the knife a little to one side so as to position hook away from the pocket edge. Try this a few times and you will see how it works.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Thanks Redhawk.

To Spyderco,
The Spyderco USN Endura4 ~ C10PSGRWBK shows as sold out. Will it be available in the future? If so, will it only be available is CE or will other choices be available. My preference is PE. Was that blade ever on this knife in case I could find one to be sold?

Thanks,
Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is why in the end, i chose to not get a waved knife and instead use a zip tie when i feel like having it open on the draw. IMO the ziptie works better anyways. The down side of course is it gets in the way when slicing and sharpening, but zip ties are cheap and easy to replace when you don't want it there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

With any waved knife the solution is simple...just place a finger over the spine side of the blade, apply a little pressure with that finger and pull it out...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

They're hard enough to deploy with the wave. So I guess it's easier to pull out without deploying. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I forgot to mention...when mine is zip tied and i don't want it open, i just slide it out from the corner of my pocket a little before i pull up. I generally wear jeans so it's sort of a, left then up movement, as opposed to that pushing to the side and pulling up motion you do when you want it to open and deploy. It's like the opposite movement.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I've never had a problem with the waved delica. The peg on the P'kal, perhaps because it is so narrow, does seem to get caught up with the pocket fabric even when I don't want it to.

The USN endura was a specialty run and will probably never be made again in that configuration. They come up time to time in the secondary market and command a premium.

If you want a waved knife, get one sooner rather than later. It is possible, IMHO, that at some time in the future, some powerful person will decide that wave openers are illegal, and production for the civilian market will cease. This opinion is completely speculative.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I have a waved Endua and Delica and thy work great. I love the profile of the waved blades and is very simple to use.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

2cha wrote:I've never had a problem with the waved delica. The peg on the P'kal, perhaps because it is so narrow, does seem to get caught up with the pocket fabric even when I don't want it to.

The USN endura was a specialty run and will probably never be made again in that configuration. They come up time to time in the secondary market and command a premium.

If you want a waved knife, get one sooner rather than later. It is possible, IMHO, that at some time in the future, some powerful person will decide that wave openers are illegal, and production for the civilian market will cease. This opinion is completely speculative.
I just learned about this zip-tie trick on the hole in the blade. I tried it and decided not to get an emerson opener because with the zip tie it got hung on my pocket when I didn't want it to and opened half way. I'm sure the emerson works more reliably and with very little practice I may like it a lot. I hadn't thought about it but you may be right about the illegal issue. I don't see the trend reversing the direction it seems to be going in.

I have a grandson now who is 10 months old. I've become very safety oriented about knives laying around. Even when I use them. I have a couple of assisted openers and I don't like them because of accidental opening. Of course I'll not let my grandson carry an Endura with an emerson opener until he is at least 4 years old. :)

Jack
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

Never had an Emerson deploy on me when I didn't want it to. Its all just practice and the other poster who mentioned holding your finger on the blade spine - that works really well also.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Armalite Native wrote:Never had an Emerson deploy on me when I didn't want it to. Its all just practice and the other poster who mentioned holding your finger on the blade spine - that works really well also.

Ayyy...you talking bout me?.....LOL....Doc :p
Let it be known that my new name is "The Other Poster" formally known as Dr. Snubnose.....
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Seanski

Post by Seanski »

The problem for me is forgetting I'm carrying a waved knife and pulling it out and sometimes having it partially deployed.
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:[/B]

Ayyy...you talking bout me?.....LOL....Doc :p
Let it be known that my new name is "The Other Poster" formally known as Dr. Snubnose.....
Sorry Doc I meant no disrespect to a veteran poster. I agree very much with many of your posts. :)
LDB

Post by LDB »

I have one Emerson opener from a different company. I don't remember if I swapped the clip or not but when carried the hook is toward my zipper. It slides in and out of my pocket without ever attempting to open. When I want it to open I twist the knife about 45 degrees toward the front and it catches as it comes out of my pocket. I guess a lot of guys have the hook toward their side which I think would make it more likely to open each time. I'm thinking about an Emerson Endura as my next purchase.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

LDB wrote:I have one Emerson opener from a different company. I don't remember if I swapped the clip or not but when carried the hook is toward my zipper. It slides in and out of my pocket without ever attempting to open. When I want it to open I twist the knife about 45 degrees toward the front and it catches as it comes out of my pocket. I guess a lot of guys have the hook toward their side which I think would make it more likely to open each time. I'm thinking about an Emerson Endura as my next purchase.
So the knife comes out in a reverse grip?
LDB

Post by LDB »

It comes out reverse grip with the blade spine toward my wrist. It's easy enough to reverse if I just want to use it to cut something and presumably looks more dangerous if in a confrontation, something I haven't and hope never to find out.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I carry my knives in the corner of my pocket and I worried about this, too.

When I mentioned it, people said to carry it further forward in the pocket. When you carry it further forward, you have to purposely turn the knife to catch the wave on the edge of your pocket.

Even if you carry it in the corner of your pocket, and you purposely take it out of your pocket, it only opens part of the way (~30%). It doesn't open as easy as you think or as easy as people make it seem. My two Wave models require a little swinging to get to open fully on the draw. Without turning my hand outward, they open about 90% of the way. If you pay attention while watching a video of a wave model, you see the extended draw.

It really isn't too bad.

Doc, can we shorten that to TOPF KADS? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

LDB wrote:It comes out reverse grip with the blade spine toward my wrist. It's easy enough to reverse if I just want to use it to cut something and presumably looks more dangerous if in a confrontation, something I haven't and hope never to find out.
I see, thanks. Just confirming because that's mostly how I do it on my weak hand ghetto waved manix 2. I do have a lanyard on it because I've thrown the knife several times while practicing. The lanyard seems to solve the problem.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Donut wrote:I carry my knives in the corner of my pocket and I worried about this, too.

When I mentioned it, people said to carry it further forward in the pocket. When you carry it further forward, you have to purposely turn the knife to catch the wave on the edge of your pocket.

Even if you carry it in the corner of your pocket, and you purposely take it out of your pocket, it only opens part of the way (~30%). It doesn't open as easy as you think or as easy as people make it seem. My two Wave models require a little swinging to get to open fully on the draw. Without turning my hand outward, they open about 90% of the way. If you pay attention while watching a video of a wave model, you see the extended draw.

It really isn't too bad.

Doc, can we shorten that to TOPF KADS? :)

Or just maybe TOPS for really short....LOL...Doc :D :cool: