No more H1 fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

has anybody thought of the fact that grinding H-1 work hardens it, and that the hardening in a FFG blade may cause the blade to become more brittle than is safe or allowable for Spyderco company standards?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SolidState wrote:has anybody thought of the fact that grinding H-1 work hardens it, and that the hardening in a FFG blade may cause the blade to become more brittle than is safe or allowable for Spyderco company standards?
Yep and good point to bring up.

Sadly that's just a "myth" as you forget. Like gravity, cholesterol, and the round Earth belief. ;)
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Blerv wrote:Holy text wall of death :eek:
:D

SolidState wrote:has anybody thought of the fact that grinding H-1 work hardens it, and that the hardening in a FFG blade may cause the blade to become more brittle than is safe or allowable for Spyderco company standards?
I think I recall hearing someone from Spyderco mentioning that it work hardens without becoming brittle, but I don't know if that's an absolute rule of the steel, and I might just be making that up....
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Heh, nicely put. Though it interests me, I partially wanted it to be available as potential input to the designers too, so I'll leave you alone on that. Thanks though.
I very much appreciate your understanding on this matter. Upon reflection I also realize though that a design I could contribute to might well also save someone's life some day. If you create a pertinent thread I will contribute my design ideas. If you choose to please draw my attention to it though as I am not constantly watching the spydie forum. I do have one thing in particular I would like to see done, which I think might make a difference, although it is not in regard to blade shape.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Blerv wrote:Yep and good point to bring up.

Sadly that's just a "myth" as you forget. Like gravity, cholesterol, and the round Earth belief. ;)
Touche my friend, touche....

The flying spaghetti monster must have gotten into my forum account.

As a solid-state chemist I am unaware of any crystal system where a buildup of dislocations does not cause brittleness. In fact, most amorphous metals (no net crystal system, aka all dislocations and defects) are incredibly hard and brittle. :cool:
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Bushminer

Post by Bushminer »

SolidState wrote: As a solid-state chemist I am unaware of any crystal system where a buildup of dislocations does not cause brittleness. In fact, most amorphous metals (no net crystal system, aka all dislocations and defects) are incredibly hard and brittle. :cool:
The question is how deep does the buildup of dislocations go,how deep is the interface and how do cracks behave in the interface?