Pocket Bowie

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

tanrichguy wrote:Hey Doc,

Dagon (a forum member) has a review of the Pocket Bowie on YouTube. His YT name is MrDagon007 I think. It looks like a very cool little knife-little being the operative word. Krein has several colabs with Böker. I would very much like to see a colab with Spyderco sometime in the future.

Cheers!
Thanks TR Guy....I'll check it out...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Blades

Post by Blades »

--Jason--
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I know Blades...I want the Vox...For sure for sure...Doc :D
and add the new Pry Mate by Vox to the mix...an amazing 7mm of spine on a 3 3/8" blade....I'm sold....Doc

"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I got one of the Boker Krein Pocket Bowies. The knife itself is a really good value for money. I had to put a new edge on it, it came uneven out of the box, but I'm not complaining for $30. The sheath is subpar. I would gladly pay ten bucks more for a decent sheath. The sheath is too tight and overall production quality is horrible. The sheath on the Boker Krein Grasshopper is just fine btw. I like the design, but it's not what I wanted it to be; i.e. a neck knife. It's simply too heavy for me in that role. It makes for a stout little belt knife or -yes- a pocket bowie.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

I believe Sal and Tom have had several conversations regarding a collaboration. Hoping for one some day.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Got my pocket bowie in today and, well, it's already back in the box to be returned to AG Russell. :(

I'm with Wouter 100% on the sheath. The one that came with my knife was terrible, quite frankly. The fit was just all over the place and the only level of finish I can say it has would be from whoever made it tossing it in a bin and thinking "That one's finished." Retention was secure once in place but ingress and egress were much too hard.

The blade itself was fine and that had been my biggest concern going in to this. Handle was good except for one glaring spot. The scales/liners at the ricasso end were 1/8" longer on one side than the other. Doesn't sound like a lot but on a knife that's only about 6" overall it really sticks out.

I thought about maybe getting the handle issue addressed and picking up an aftermarket sheath but that work would likely cost 1.5 to 2 times as much as the knife did in the first place. I decided it wasn't worth it.

It's a real disappointment for me when I think about how good all of the other Boker Plus knives I've had in the past have been. Maybe my anticipations set me up for a bit of a fall based on that. I wonder what it would have been like if Boker did these knives in Solingen like their Begg collabs. Three or four times more expensive for sure, but I tend to think it would feel much more worth it.

The order wasn't a total loss though because the AGR 3.0 titanium lockback folder I got is very nice. :)
~ Nate
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

I know Boker has had problems with the sheaths on some of their collaborations, I think they have or are trying to solve the solution now.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Yeah I'd heard the same on the sheaths. I'm sure they're doing their best to fix the issues but the sheaths out there like the one I got aren't going to leave a good taste in the mouth of the buyer.
~ Nate
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

The tight sheath was a pretty easy fix. I played with mine for a day, and beveled the opening of the sheath, and it works perfectly now.
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

I have the pocket bowie for some time now and like it very much.
Great little knife.
Very good ergonomics and a very good 3 finger grip.
Nice high hollow grind but good cutting abilities.
The steel is maybe not the longest edge holding type but for the money you can't complain.
I had mine for about 37 euros but they are for sale in Usa for about 25-30 dollar. It's a steal.

Ok the sheath is garbage and just does not fit.
But if you heat it up a little en reshape it it fits.
Ok not 100 procent because mine has got a lot of kydex scratches on the blade because of the stiff fit.
But for a user and for the money i think it's reasonable.

Boker is solving the problems right now so the newer batches would be better.

I would really recommend this nice looking knife.
A nice edc or nice back up blade.

So enough talk and time for some pics.

Post by 224477 »

Thats a lovely knife, hopefully they will still make them until I scratch some dirt.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Blades

Post by Blades »

TooSharp wrote:I believe Sal and Tom have had several conversations regarding a collaboration. Hoping for one some day.
:eek:
:spyder:
:D
--Jason--
DrSpeed

Post by DrSpeed »

I have the Boker Grasshopper which is also a Tom Krein collab. Even smaller!
Endura VG-10 Delica ZDP-189 Paramilitary all black Military CPM S30V camo Perrin Street Bowie Tenacious Kiwi 3 Ladybug serrated Byrd Cara Cara G10 Byrd Cara Cara Rescue Byrd Meadowlark Caly 3.5 UKPK Pacific Salt UKPK Rescue
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

DrSpeed wrote:I have the Boker Grasshopper which is also a Tom Krein collab. Even smaller!

And the fit and finish on the sheath of my Grasshopper was perfect, so it can be done! ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the thread, I like Tom's knives very much and I'm glad Boker is organizing this collaboration. Seems like a neat little knife, looks good and handy.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

For the money, these look pretty decent.
I also like some of the other small fixed blades pictured in this thread.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

So does it come with a tek lock or is it just the sheath? Nice little blade. Might have to pick one of those up.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

No Teklok or any kind of belt mounting hardware is included.
~ Nate
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey guys,
i just picked up a pocket bowie.
i've been eyeballing this one for a while, and i'm pretty impressed so far.
the fit and finish on my knife is great. none of the issues reported above are evident on this example.
i also noticed that my sheath is different than the ones posted above. fit and finish on this sheath is also great. the foldover design seems much smaller than the older examples.
i plan on carrying this one in my pocket, but was wondering how others would carry in this fashion. would you use a lanyard to attach the sheath to a belt loop, or just let it ride free in the pocket?
any suggestions?
thanks!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I like mine a lot too...and the f&f is good. Not perfect, but pretty good. Especially since it is a $25 knife.

My sheath is like yours, and I often will just slip it in my pocket. I can reach in, use my thumbto push the sheath off as I pull the knife out.

I have found that I can also tuck it in behind 1 belt loop and the extra of my belt and it is well secured and is easily pulled out and even replaced with no issues. The flap on the belt covers the entire knife and is snug enough that it doesn't at all move. I wore it there and drive for about 40min, then got out and wandered around for a good couple hours and other than once didn't even shift.
On the hunt for...