LEO Blade

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

LEO Blade

Post by Lostification »

No, I'm not talking about horoscopes. :D

First, the good news. After a ten month hiring process with roughly 4000 other applicants out of my way, I have been selected to attend police academy. However, there is still a 25% dropout rate I have to deal with. :( Anyway, this is something I've wanted my entire life as my father was a police officer for 30 some years. Now it is finally happening :)

Anyway, I'm sure there are a few LEO's on these forums and I was wondering, for one, if any of you have any tips. :D Secondly, I'm looking for recommendations for a duty-knife. It doesn't have to be a Spydie. In fact, what do any of you carry on duty?
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Congrats Lostification!

I'm not a LEO but went through basic training in the Army. The first few weeks will be the toughest as the training instructors start the breakdown process and you get acclimated to your new life in law enforcement. Don't make any rash decisions early on and give yourself plenty of time to make the necessary adjustments and get a good feel for the job.

One more point, don't let the 25% dropout rate be a discouragement to you. Everyone isn't cut out for the job. People have a picture in their mind what the job is about and after some time in the academy and/or on the street figure out it's not what they want to do. There is no shame in that and taking the plunge to find out it's not for you is better then wondering all your life IF you should have gone for it but now it's too late because you're now too old or have invested too much in another career, got married, have kids with financial responsibilities and you can't make a change.

I know guys on the job that absolutely love it. I know others that hate it but have put so much time in they won't leave. Hopefully you'll discover it's your calling.

All the best to you.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

I'm not an LEO, but I recommend checking out the "Die Less Often" series of DVDs from Dog Brothers. It's good stuff to be aware of.
KaliGman

LEO knife

Post by KaliGman »

I am a LEO (18 years in and counting--with years in both municipal level and federal law enforcement), and have run a federal task force for the last several years. For your duty gear, I suggest a quality multi-tool (you will use the screwdrivers and pliers a lot in various situations--removing stolen license plates from impounded vehicles, etc.), a stout utility oriented fixed blade for the "car gear" (or attached to your armor if you get onto a tactical team in a few years), and a Spyderco clipped in your pocket for general cutting chores and maybe double duty as "last ditch weapon."

I will tell you that I bought Boker COP Tools and Wilson COP Tools (great pryers and scrapers and OK cutters) as issue utility fixed blades for my task force officers last year and Spyderco Manix 2 folders (excellent cutters) for issue to them this year. Enduras are a very popular choice among police as well.

I would suggest training in how to use a knife in combat if you are planning on incorporating the blade into your personal defense plan. I will also say that, at this point, concentrate on your academy studies and worry about everything else later. Pass your courses with high marks, graduate with honors, listen to your field training officer when you hit the streets, and, after listening to some experienced officers on your force and gaining some of your own experience, pick the training and workout routine that fits you and law enforcement tasks in your area the best.

Take care and good luck. This career can be fun, exciting, and depressing as ****, but then, so can life. I enjoy what I do and would not trade my experiences for the world. Welcome to the party young man :D ....keep your seat in the upright position and enjoy the ride. It goes by fast. ;)
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Ditto the above remarks. I have 13 years in Law Enforcement. I am one of the FTD guys(that kalig spoke of) for my division. Keep things in perspective! Pass the academy first. Your choice of knife will probably change....especially if you begin to look at what is truly important to you. This post is more so to welcome you to a career that is truly special......that only those that are within really understand the true essence of this field! Take care of yourself!
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

KaliGman wrote:I am a LEO (18 years in and counting--with years in both municipal level and federal law enforcement), and have run a federal task force for the last several years. For your duty gear, I suggest a quality multi-tool (you will use the screwdrivers and pliers a lot in various situations--removing stolen license plates from impounded vehicles, etc.), a stout utility oriented fixed blade for the "car gear" (or attached to your armor if you get onto a tactical team in a few years), and a Spyderco clipped in your pocket for general cutting chores and maybe double duty as "last ditch weapon."

I will tell you that I bought Boker COP Tools and Wilson COP Tools (great pryers and scrapers and OK cutters) as issue utility fixed blades for my task force officers last year and Spyderco Manix 2 folders (excellent cutters) for issue to them this year. Enduras are a very popular choice among police as well.

I would suggest training in how to use a knife in combat if you are planning on incorporating the blade into your personal defense plan. I will also say that, at this point, concentrate on your academy studies and worry about everything else later. Pass your courses with high marks, graduate with honors, listen to your field training officer when you hit the streets, and, after listening to some experienced officers on your force and gaining some of your own experience, pick the training and workout routine that fits you and law enforcement tasks in your area the best.

Take care and good luck. This career can be fun, exciting, and depressing as ****, but then, so can life. I enjoy what I do and would not trade my experiences for the world. Welcome to the party young man :D ....keep your seat in the upright position and enjoy the ride. It goes by fast. ;)
Thanks! After speaking to my dad in regards to preparing for the police academy, he said to only get in shape. Up til today I've been reading the local penal code but he told me that I should wait because they have their own way of teaching the law from a different perspective. So I guess the only thing I can do for now is just get into shape. Less than 20 days!

As far as a multi-tool, I'm looking at the Leatherman Charge TTi. Not completely firm on the model but that's definitely a nice one. It has a seat belt cutter and I can't believe they use S30V in multi-tool knives now. Anyway, Leatherman is really the only good brand that I know of.

To be honest, I never even considered carrying a fixed blade until now. That is definitely something I will want to look into. I was looking at benchmade folders shortly after posting and didn't really see anything that looked serious.

After checking out a few online knife retailers I came across our very own Spydies and I was just looking through them for kicks. I have owned a black para military plain edge for almost 5 years but never had I considered the full sized military because of the size for carry. Now I'm looking at this fully serrated military and I don't think I could possibly find anything else that could fit the bill better :D

I know the military series are heavy duty knives but I'm just not sure about a liner lock.. My para military has a compression lock which I am very comfortable. I could bet my life on it. Can anyone attest to the military liner lock? I'm also not incredibly fond of the weak tip.

Can anyone think of any other blades at least similar to the military, perhaps from other brands too?

Thanks to all who are replying. :)
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ditto what KaliGman and Stonyman, had to say....Congrats.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Congratulations! Not an LEO, but have many friends who are LEO and SpecOps.

Also have a few that are multi generation LEOs.

I have worked in fields that require life on the line, and I will offer you these:

Listen to the "old guys" - they got to be the old guys for a reason.

Listen to your teachers as though it could save your life, because it can.

Your Dad is likely the most trustworthy sage you have.

Enjoy the Brotherhood, and best of luck!
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Lostification, Welcome to the Brotherhood ;) . 15 year LEO here ...still going.

Can't add much to what Kali G and stonyman already stated. If anything ...get into the best shape you can and take it one step at a time. When I say get in the best shape you can ... I also mean get your mind in shape. There will be a lot that you'll have to absorb and some at during a short period of time. The best source you have for information is your father. Nothing like learning things from "old school" officers. There are so many things that can be picked up from a veteran officer that some newer guys WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND :rolleyes: .

Be open minded will go a long way. Some point in time you'll come across a guy that has been there done that, and knows everything there is to know about being an LEO and can do it better :rolleyes: . Keep your cool and listen there may be somethings you can pick up from those types that you can add to your arsenal of tools. Sometimes ... What Not To Do or Say :p .

You'll learn something from everyone you work with and You Eventually will develop your own way of doing things.

As for edged tools. Like already mentioned ... have a multi-tool (I use a LM Wave). I carry a fixed blade in my backpack while on patrol, and I have a folder clipped in the cargo pocket.

Bits of Advice:

Learning NEVER ends ;) . There will always be something that you'll come across that will leave you scratching your head. It's happened to Kali G, stonyman and myself :p .

The Badge and Uniform. This will be what you do ... Not Who You Are. It doesn't define you. You make the uniform and Badge ... It doesn't make YOU ;) .

Work and Cases. Don't take it HOME with you ... leave it at work. There will be things you see and experience that will be hard to shake. Don't let it eat at you or let it linger. Time and place for that ...Don't Let Work Hamper or crossover into Your Personal Life ...Ever.

Welcome Brother, Take Very Good Care, and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Lostification

Post by Lostification »

raven wrote:Hey Lostification, Welcome to the Brotherhood ;) . 15 year LEO here ...still going.

Can't add much to what Kali G and stonyman already stated. If anything ...get into the best shape you can and take it one step at a time. When I say get in the best shape you can ... I also mean get your mind in shape. There will be a lot that you'll have to absorb and some at during a short period of time. The best source you have for information is your father. Nothing like learning things from "old school" officers. There are so many things that can be picked up from a veteran officer that some newer guys WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND :rolleyes: .

Be open minded will go a long way. Some point in time you'll come across a guy that has been there done that, and knows everything there is to know about being an LEO and can do it better :rolleyes: . Keep your cool and listen there may be somethings you can pick up from those types that you can add to your arsenal of tools. Sometimes ... What Not To Do or Say :p .

You'll learn something from everyone you work with and You Eventually will develop your own way of doing things.

As for edged tools. Like already mentioned ... have a multi-tool (I use a LM Wave). I carry a fixed blade in my backpack while on patrol, and I have a folder clipped in the cargo pocket.

Bits of Advice:

Learning NEVER ends ;) . There will always be something that you'll come across that will leave you scratching your head. It's happened to Kali G, stonyman and myself :p .

The Badge and Uniform. This will be what you do ... Not Who You Are. It doesn't define you. You make the uniform and Badge ... It doesn't make YOU ;) .

Work and Cases. Don't take it HOME with you ... leave it at work. There will be things you see and experience that will be hard to shake. Don't let it eat at you or let it linger. Time and place for that ...Don't Let Work Hamper or crossover into Your Personal Life ...Ever.

Welcome Brother, Take Very Good Care, and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Yes, I am trying to get in the best possible shape I can BEFORE I get into the academy. This way, the physical demand will be less of an issue and I can focus on the academics. It shouldn't be too bad as I have always had excellent grades even in college.

Also, the word is now that it is going to be a class of 40. 4,000 applicants down to 40 starting the academy. That is 1%. :rolleyes:

And thanks, Raven! :)
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Good luck in your training and career!

If you're thinking of a fixed blade knife for duty, a good one to check out is the Benchmade Nimravus Cub (it's not obtrusively large) and also their H2O. I have the H2O affixed to my PFD for kayaking. It has an H1 blade, so there's no worry about corrosion from exposure (that, to me, is a major plus).

Neither knife is so expensive that you'd be hesitant to use it.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have never wanted to be in law enforcement because they are not allowed to play by the same rules as the law breakers. Cops need to prove they did the right thing and bad guys aren't doing the right thing to begin with. Then you have to prove they did a wrong thing. I chose not to play a game where opponents are playing by different rules. Then when a cop makes a mistake he is condemned beyond belief. The problem with a job like that is a small mistake can have huge results. I consider the fact that I chose not to play that game a flaw in my character. But if I have that flaw the worst possible place to be is in a LEO uniform. I appreciate and support your work more than other types of work. Just like I want our military people to come home, I hope you go home after every shift.

The reason I replied is only to suggest SOG as a multi-tool choice. I've used Leatherman and Gerber which are both good. The thing I like best about the SOG PowerLock (which I have) is the ability to change the individual items in the multi-tool to suit your needs better than someone deciding the items only to be more generic and marketable. I worked in communications equipment all my life and the items I needed for work involved wiring work. I've never had to cut a seat belt. I have tried a few seat belt cutters for fun and never found one that worked better than a knife blade with a blunt tip like rescue knives have.

Best of luck in your career and in life.

Jack
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Well, looky who's back! Hi there, Lostie, glad you made it into the police academy! :eek: :) ;) :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

congrats!!!!!! listen to the experts here as far as what knife (knives) to carry, i was only a cop for a few weeks before i switched to the fire side :D so i wont make a suggestion. Get in shape, i bet alot of the 25% dropout rate is because of drugs and not cutting the physical part (but they would probably work with you on that to a point). You have to remember that they have already spent alot of money on you to get you this far, they don't want to lose you. one thing i will advise is to keep a journal of all the crazy/funny stuff you will see when you get on. you will forget alot of it so write it down.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D