Massad Ayoob redux?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mako109

Massad Ayoob redux?

Post by Mako109 »

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but anyone know if the Massad Ayoob will make a reappearance as a sprint run? I would love to see the Massad Ayoob produced again.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

There is a 9+ page thread over on BF discussing this very thing. In that thread, TazKristi, sal and even Massad Ayoob himself all responded and are aware and listening.

Spyderco Massad Ayoob
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Thanks Jay! Yup looks like that thread has been there for quite a while and recently bumped. As the recent poster stated "...lets keep the dream alive".

I love his FFG version.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I'd buy two if it ever came back. I'm surprised there's not more interest in this knife. I hadn't heard of this knife until a couple of years ago and it was short run that many on this forum may not have heard of it. Maybe people need pictures and some knife info to get interested.

Sal, please bring this knife back (even if only for a sprint run :D )! It is an awesome specimen. G-10 would be a nice touch too.
Originally Posted by Massad Ayoob <a href="http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ewpost.gif[/img]</a>
Tizwin, the rationale was to get the blade directly in line with the radius bone of the forearm when the average human wrist was in the "locked" position, which puts the middle knuckle of the hand directly in line with the axis of the forearm.

This is what gives the C60 its superior stabbing accuracy that posters in this thread have mentioned, and it also gives tremendously more penetration, because it aligns the skeleto-muscular support structure of the arm with the point (number one), and therefore with anyone who knows how to put his weight behind a punch, gets the entire body's force going directly behind the point (number two).

As other posters have also noted, the handle-to-blade angle puts much more force behind a slash as well as a stab. Instead of the blade "skimming" over the target as it hits hard resistance such as bone, the 90 degree angle of the blade when held in reverse grip (and KEPT there by a handle shape that allows the thumb to lock it at that angle) the C60 is more likely to shear directly through whatever resistance it encounters. Because of the design features, something very similar happens with a slash from the conventional saber or pekal grasp.

As to the tip-down carry: I'm one of those early Spyderco fans whom Sal calls "Clipiteers," [:-)] who started their Spyderco experience with the original Police model, learned to open it with a pinch-snap, and discovered we could win bets beating guys with bali-songs and even "automatic knives" in opening speed. The pinch snap uses the gross motor movement of the closed hand instead of the more fine-motor skill of using the thumb to open the blade via the original design intent of the "Spyder-hole."

As has also been noted (you guys n' gals are sharp, no pun intended) the C60 had ambi holes drilled so the clip could be moved for southpaws. I did not consider tip-up carry in the design parameters, and would have to go back and play with the concept a lot more to see how well it would work in that fashion. I realize that a lot of folks are as habituated to tip-up carry as I am to tip-down.

And needless to say, I'll give a +1 to the sprint run suggestion...:-)

*-Images belong to Mark greenman
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I'd be interested...definitely love the look of the Ayoob...still haven't seen or heard alot about it.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
araneae

Post by araneae »

A g-10 version would be interesting.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

What is truly interesting about the Ayoob is your preconceptions vs. reality. Prior to ownership, I read the articles and formed an opinion of the form and function of this unusual design. Similar to Keating's Chinook; the Ayoob design embodies MBC and utilitarian functions. The reality of ownership is an entirely different experience. This is a knife that surpasses all expectations. The more you use it, you find yourself saying; "oh, that makes sense". Let's review some things: slim carry, slashes, penetrates, esthetically pleasing (IMHO), intelligent design, and intimidating. Ceteris Paribus, it is the perfect MBC/EDC design. It is the knife I want if the world turns upside down. Thanks Sal and Mas for making this knife a reality.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Make it and I'll buy it.

Would love to see a G-10 run, keeping the same blade grind, with an S30V blade perhaps?
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

I own a PE ayoob-my most prized knife. I would love to see a return in a sprint run. G-10, new steel, old steel doesn't really matter. At least that way I could carry it and not worry about it getting hurt.

Oh, I have a crappy phone pic in the image forum under "my favorites"
Spyderco C60P Massad Ayoob avatar courtesy of Dialex.
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

The Ayoob is one of the old models that really makes me wish I got into Spydies earlier. I love it, and would buy one or two if there was a sprint run.
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

They can still be had. If anyone wants to know where (not from me) PM me.
Spyderco C60P Massad Ayoob avatar courtesy of Dialex.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'm a big fan of the C60 :D

MCM

Post by MCM »

I would like to see a new one in G-10. Same everything else......... :)

Maybe a sprint of 600 P/E & 600 SE?

I have a NIB P/E I cant bring my self to carry, as I know the black alum scales would get banged up in no time.

So this would really work out for me! :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
chambers

Post by chambers »

Another BIG reason I had to come back to this forum. I really, really want to get behind the Ayoob coming back. I have one of the originals in PE and I would LOVE to see a sprint run in G-10 with a wave. I'm down for 2. :D
:spyder: Spyder bit. :spyder: Still no super powers though...
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Franciscomv wrote:The Ayoob is one of the old models that really makes me wish I got into Spydies earlier. I love it, and would buy one or two if there was a sprint run.
+1 for that. I would love one of those knives!

I've read some other threads where Ayoob talks about the "Pinch Snap" opening. I was wondering if this technique is just another name for a "Spyder drop" or something completely different?
markg

Post by markg »

I am in for at least one. I was around when the originals were made but just never pull the trigger on one and now regret it.
chambers

Post by chambers »

I have one of the originals and I still want to see a sprint run.

Hey Sal if you want to know what to get me for Christmas... :D
:spyder: Spyder bit. :spyder: Still no super powers though...
LDB

Post by LDB »

I would like to have one if it would fit into the budget. I suspect selling out a production run of them would be about as difficult as giving away courtside tickets for the NBA playoffs.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Bump. Keeping the dream alive...

Ethnic models like the Persian and Shabaria have been resurrected with recent sprint runs, so lets keep it going with the Massad Ayoob! FFG + CF would be very nice.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

+1 on the sprint!

The Ayoob brings so much unique capability to the table it really needs another run. And considering #'s C58 and C59 have been released as sprints, its the C60's turn! :D