smallfFly

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

The Deacon wrote:Only the MIM version was on the "retirement list" last November. Am guessing some folks are interpreting the lower prices on the G-10 trainer and live blade versions as a sign they're being dropped as well. However, based on a few other models that have been put on special, I'm not at all sure their assumption is correct.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks Deacon!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
MCM

Post by MCM »

I decided to pass.
I flip a 42 & a Tachyon.
After trying the Red White and Blue Bailyo
I know I like 'em a bit larger.
The Tachyon is not huge, but flips great and is as small as I care to go.
Just me........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
tanrichguy

Couldn't help myself...

Post by tanrichguy »

Just ordered a Smallfly from knifeworks. The sickness is so bad I had them ship next day so I could have it in my hands for the weekend.
This will be my first Balisong-probably a collector piece but we'll see. Last I checked, balisongs are LEGAL to carry in NY State. If anyone can clarify that would be great.
I can see it being fun to flip around but a little worried about keeping my fingers intact. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Spyderco C60P Massad Ayoob avatar courtesy of Dialex.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

tanrichguy wrote:Just ordered a Smallfly from knifeworks. The sickness is so bad I had them ship next day so I could have it in my hands for the weekend.
This will be my first Balisong-probably a collector piece but we'll see. Last I checked, balisongs are LEGAL to carry in NY State. If anyone can clarify that would be great.
I can see it being fun to flip around but a little worried about keeping my fingers intact. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Actually they are illegal to carry and OWN. Plus with the recent commotion in NY, it's possible it'll be confiscated.
Sorry mate. :(
http://knife-expert.com/ny.txt
http://www.autoknifeworks.com/statelaws.aspx
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Creepo wrote:Actually they are illegal to carry and OWN. Plus with the recent commotion in NY, it's possible it'll be confiscated.
Sorry mate. :(
http://knife-expert.com/ny.txt
http://www.autoknifeworks.com/statelaws.aspx
Sorry but you are 99% wrong. Under New York State law balisongs are not considered to be switchblades or gravity knives and are legal both to own and to carry. The only part of the state where that would not be true is New York City, which, in terms of area represents a mere 1% of the total state.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

The Deacon wrote:Sorry but you are 99% wrong. Under New York State law balisongs are not considered to be switchblades or gravity knives and are legal both to own and to carry. The only part of the state where that would not be true is New York City, which, in terms of area represents a mere 1% of the total state.
Another required feature for it to be considered an illegal "gravity" knife is that the blade can be locked in the open position. I don't own a Smallfly but based on the pictures I don't think you can lock the blade in the open position.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

2edgesword wrote:Another required feature for it to be considered an illegal "gravity" knife is that the blade can be locked in the open position. I don't own a Smallfly but based on the pictures I don't think you can lock the blade in the open position.
You are correct, they do not lock so, at least outside NYC, that should help as well. OTOH, I wouldn't put anything past Vance. ;)

FWIW, the actual NYS court decision declaring balisongs not to be gravity knives was based on the compound motion needed to open one. The court held that to be considered a gravity knife, a knife has to open "with a simple flick of the wrist".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

The Deacon wrote:Sorry but you are 99% wrong. Under New York State law balisongs are not considered to be switchblades or gravity knives and are legal both to own and to carry. The only part of the state where that would not be true is New York City, which, in terms of area represents a mere 1% of the total state.
Ah ok, I stand corrected.
The term gravity knife seems to often include balisongs in law texts, so I just made an assumption and it seemed to fit the image.
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the quick responses.
Thanks also to Deacon for reinforcing my thought about the legality of balisongs in NY. I recall seeing an article somewhere about the specific case that looked at the whole "gravity knife" thing.
I live outside of New York City so no worries there.
My normal carry is Para 2 anyway. Just wanted to make sure I could carry the smallfly if I chose to mix it up a bit.
Can't wait till tomorrow!
tanrichguy

Received Smallfly today...

Post by tanrichguy »

Its a really cool little blade. I'm really enjoying it so far but...

...guess I'm going to need some more practice. ;)