IWB knife carry for self defense?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Erminio

IWB knife carry for self defense?

Post by Erminio »

Gentlemen,
I'm polling some knife forums with the following question: IMO, clipping a knife into your pants pocket gives you easy access to it but gives away (to the bad guy) that you have a knife; just dropping it into your pocket conceals it but can leave it in a position difficult to access - so, would it be IWB carry a good compromise? The knife is clipped but to your waistband and I take the clip is mostly covered by your belt, so mostly concealed...what do you think?

Thanks!
shu

Post by shu »

I will often carry IWB if I have my shirt tucked in and I don't want to be obvious. A paramilitary works great for this as there is a lot of knife sticking up past the clip--easy to grab yet it is almost invisible.

Honestly though, I don't worry too much about 'bad guys' seeing my knife; just scaring the sheeple.
Talum15

Post by Talum15 »

Being up front sometimes work on your favor, IMO. So if the environment calls for such, having the knife clipped in the pocket works well for easy access. In the same token I try to be discreet when with sheeple and other work related functions. Proper approach is always the key for me. :cool:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

That's how I carry mine if I have a shirt tucked in, it works fine.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There was a thread here on this a couple of months ago (see link).
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I know nothing about SD, but if the bad guy knows you have a knife wouldn't that at least give some (however small) amount of deterrence?
thehunt

Post by thehunt »

I guess it will, but at first, the bugger hat so realize, that there is a knife in the pants.

And my assumption is, they will not see it.

My coworkers dont, my friends dont, why should an entirely stranger see it?

I carry my blades as I see fit, thats it.
If I´m in sheeple-environment, I still carry (we´re not talking carrying a gun)...
Si vis pacem parabellum
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My brother was just showing me his zip-tied Spyderco Karambit yesterday set up for IWB carry.

It comes out quick and secure with the ring. It's a great option for him because it's slim and comfortable. Doesn't hurt that he has years of kbit training as well :) .
THG

Post by THG »

I carry IWB because it's out of the way, but I don't know anything about SD.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I carry IWB, both fixed and folder because I like to feel where my knife is at all times...that digging into my waist lets me know it's there...For SD purposes it is easier to retain if it's close to the body...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
cr123

i would if i could

Post by cr123 »

my pants are too snug. :0(

but i would if i could. :0)
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Erminio,

IWB is where I carry my Matriarch. My cell phone clipped to my belt covers it complete.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
Samwise

Post by Samwise »

Sounds like a good thing to do with a Street Beat or another smallish fixed blade.
Spydie Count: :spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:

Vics: Super Tinker, Farmer
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

I carry a clip knife in my RH pocket so that all you can see is the clip. Honestly I have had the sad distinction of being faced with a situation wherein I was confronted by the bad guys and in such a way as to allow no escape. I was within a hairsbreadth of actually using my knife on a couple of tough guys in that instance and I'll tell you I never had one of them even notice I was carrying, much less that at some point I had actually reached in and palmed the knife (a folder with a 3 inch blade). Fortunately for me, my verbal judo skills got me out of the situation in short order and I didn't have to visit my worst nightmare but it is the utmost extreme example of my point. Most people don't look well enough to notice a knife unless it's LARGE and carried openly. To prevent as much as possible I have a folder that has a black clip and a black blade so that all that shiny silver doesn't give it away. Once in such a situation most people aren't aware enough to be shaking you down with their eyes to see if you're carrying and if they are, you're in a whole heap of trouble because that means they're trained or at least experienced. I gues the bottom line is carry what's appropriate for the situation in a way that's the most comfortable for you.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: If yer carryin' IWB ya'd best be trainin' the Hackathorn rip as a reg'lar part of yer program. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Erminio wrote:so, would it be IWB carry a good compromise?
Only if you want to go to jail for carrying a concealed weapon. When it's in your pocket or in a sheath on your belt, you're at least arguably carrying a tool, once you put it IWB, (or put a zip tie through spyder hole) it's a lot harder to argue that what you are carrying is a tool, and not a weapon. Even jurisdictions that allow one to carry larger knives generally forbid carrying of concealed weapons--and the same knife could be both a tool and a weapon depending on the intent of the carrier. In my opinion, IWB carry is asking for trouble.
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

I don't think you can make this kind of broad generalization - knife laws are very state/location dependent. Here in CA, getting a concealed carry permit is impossible for most people but it's completely legal to carry a folding knife concealed - in some jurisdictions it's actually required to be concealed.
2cha wrote:Only if you want to go to jail for carrying a concealed weapon. When it's in your pocket or in a sheath on your belt, you're at least arguably carrying a tool, once you put it IWB, (or put a zip tie through spyder hole) it's a lot harder to argue that what you are carrying is a tool, and not a weapon. Even jurisdictions that allow one to carry larger knives generally forbid carrying of concealed weapons--and the same knife could be both a tool and a weapon depending on the intent of the carrier. In my opinion, IWB carry is asking for trouble.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

TD22057 wrote:I don't think you can make this kind of broad generalization - knife laws are very state/location dependent. Here in CA, getting a concealed carry permit is impossible for most people but it's completely legal to carry a folding knife concealed - in some jurisdictions it's actually required to be concealed.
I'm still pretty willing to stick by my generalization that IWB carry is a bad idea. I believe that there is a difference between concealed--out of public view--and concealed--intentionally hidden. A person defending him or herself with a tool is a sympathetic character while a person whipping a weapon from a concealed sheath in his or her waistband begins to sound more like Bernie Getz. Just because the letter of the law in CA says that folding knives should be "concealed" doesn't mean that the way the law is interpreted by police officers, prosecutors or judges means "concealed by any means."

I'm probably overly cautious. I still wouldn't recommend IWB carry to anyone other than concealed carry permit holders in states where the permits encompass edged weapons as well as firearms or the even fewer states that don't have restrictions at all.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

2cha wrote:Only if you want to go to jail for carrying a concealed weapon. When it's in your pocket or in a sheath on your belt, you're at least arguably carrying a tool, once you put it IWB, (or put a zip tie through spyder hole) it's a lot harder to argue that what you are carrying is a tool, and not a weapon. Even jurisdictions that allow one to carry larger knives generally forbid carrying of concealed weapons--and the same knife could be both a tool and a weapon depending on the intent of the carrier. In my opinion, IWB carry is asking for trouble.
I also think you over-generalizing and at the same time trying to split hairs. Enforcement of various knife and weapon laws is highly subjective and situational. If you have the wrong LEO and/or the wrong time/place, it won't matter if it's a SAK Classic or a Spyderco Warrior, and it won't matter whether it's in your pocket, on your waistband or strapped to your forearm under your sleeve. Knife laws, in particular, are among the most vague and geographically dependent laws around. If someone thinks they are carrying a knife for self defense, they need to be doing serious homework and getting and maintaining training. Tarring IWB with such a broad brush really doesn't help anyone figure out what they should be doing or thinking about in their specific situation(s).