Will we ever see the C54 Calypso again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HotSoup

Will we ever see the C54 Calypso again?

Post by HotSoup »

It seems that being young, and not knowing Spyderco before a couple years ago has doomed me to never lay my eyes or hands on a C54 Calypso and I'm so sad!

I JUST discovered this knife now and I'm in tears (not really :p ) over it!

That beautiful smooth, shiny jet black Micarta...

FFG long sexy leaf blade.

I envy all of you who own them :(

Its been 12 years...I wish for a Sprint Run, but I can see nothing on the knife I'd want changed, at all!

Picture stolen from an older thread:
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

Here here!!
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Oh man those are gorgeous! I'm a big fan of the micarta. I'd be all for a sprint run but I don't think my handle couldn't take it...
The General

Post by The General »

I hunted for a plain edge on for years!
My real name is Wayne :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Sal once told me he made that knife for himself....Will we ever see it again...only if I post pics of mine LOL....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Post by 224477 »

Yes pls.!

Silver or white carbon fiber!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Sal once told me he made that knife for himself....
Haha. Such excellent taste!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

C54 is the beautiful knife. I love micarta and shape of the blade. I believe, Sal commented once that there will be no more micarta handles without liners on the knives with clip.
I used to have matching set #115 PE and SE. Both blades were worped. On PE blade was touching scale. Never was crazy about swedge and tip down carry, so for me Caly3.5 was great replacement. Will be very happy to see Caly3.5 in micarta or wood, bolsters would make me even happier.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Anything is possible. Not sure whether this will happen or not, but this is not the first time someone has asked for it. Given Sal's level of response to our other requests, I'd say there's at least an outside chance we may someday see a C54 Sprint Run.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

The Calypso is the grail of my small collection. I love this knife for its simplicity and beauty. To me the lines are perfect. Since something has to change to make a sprint, I like Burgundy Micarta. White would be my second choice. I wouldn't mind the added weight of a liner to screw the clip into. Even dual liners for right/ left handed tip down carry.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
dwong

Post by dwong »

PE please
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
Jester

Post by Jester »

Add bolsters. I love bolsters.
Jester

Persian, Kris, Mini Persian, EMT Snap-It, SS Delica, Jester BMP, FRN Cricket
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For a Sprint Run, the most feasible option would be no changes other than handle color and/or steel. Next would be added jimping, with or without those changes. Anything else means new tooling which is generally impractical for a Sprint.
Paul

Post by 224477 »

Ambidextrous clip would be nice :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Blades

Post by Blades »

The Deacon wrote:For a Sprint Run, the most feasible option would be no changes other than handle color and/or steel. Next would be added jimping, with or without those changes. Anything else means new tooling which is generally impractical for a Sprint.

So the handle has to stay micarta? Lets make it G10 like the JD Smith run, and keep it VG-10, or S30v so it can be made in the US.
--Jason--
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would love to see it. What an amazing looking knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blades wrote:So the handle has to stay micarta? Lets make it G10 like the JD Smith run, and keep it VG-10, or S30v so it can be made in the US.
No, it doesn't "have to", but a run in a different color micarta produced by the original maker in Japan would be the simplest for Spyderco to produce. Using G-10 instead, with no other changes might not add to the complexity of the project but would change the complexion of the knife. One of the attractions of the C54 is its light weight. Liners, or even just a single liner, would add considerably to that. G-10 like that on the Sprint Persian would look fine, but textured G-10 would turn it from something elegant into just another tactical folder.
Paul
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I have an idea. I got it while looking at Al Mar knives, and I think Deacon might even like this. Sal said he would not make another Micarta handle that did not have a liner. This is because the threads for the clip strip too easily. So don't put a clip on the knife. Leave the paper Micarta handles smooth. Instead have a leather sheath for the knife. Something similar to what Al Mar uses for the Eagle. The leather sheath could have a clip on it. I know a leather sheath would add cost. But at least this way people would have access to another run of a beautiful knife, and very little has to change in the overall design. Just trying to think of ways for everyone to be happy.

DM

ETA: Burgundy please
Smile, it can always get worse
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

DMgangl wrote:I have an idea. I got it while looking at Al Mar knives, and I think Deacon might even like this. Sal said he would not make another Micarta handle that did not have a liner. This is because the threads for the clip strip too easily. So don't put a clip on the knife. Leave the paper Micarta handles smooth. Instead have a leather sheath for the knife. Something similar to what Al Mar uses for the Eagle. The leather sheath could have a clip on it. I know a leather sheath would add cost. But at least this way people would have access to another run of a beautiful knife, and very little has to change in the overall design. Just trying to think of ways for everyone to be happy.

DM

ETA: Burgundy please
I would LOVE to have a really thin black sheath for the knife, with a steel belt clip, instead of a belt loop.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I'd be down for a sprint run. I am loving the Calypso design and am now the proud owner of a Caly 3 and Caly 3.5. A C54 would be a great addition.