Who packs a Wharncliffe Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

araneae wrote:I like a Wharnie for many reasons. They cut so well. I find them visually appealing. They also happen to be the easiest blade shape to sharpen IMO.
+1 on all counts.

I have only a handful of Spydercos as yet, a Spin, a couple Kopas, a couple kiwis, a Centofante 4 (and a Native on the way! ... :D ) ...

Note that 3 of the 5 models I own are Warnies. This was not a conscious decision as I collected them, but I realized that I am drawn to this blade type, intially for aesthetics, but sfter using them, for all the reasons stated by araneae ...

One note: I bought the Centofante 4 mostly because it was a good deal and it has turned out to be one of my favorite knives. Ergos are excellent, it is well-balanced, lightweight, and capable. Use one a few times, and I'm guessing you will carry it. A lot.

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

You know? With all of this Wharncliffe talk, it will be quite interesting to see how this new Spyderco Yo 2 pans out!??? :rolleyes: :D .......... just saying.
laplaga

Post by laplaga »

I carry my ppt that my lady got me and I love that thing other than my hands are massive and it slow to deploy because of the pocket clip. I would love to see a military big warnie :eek:
Talum15

Post by Talum15 »

I have always loved wharncliffe blades a lot. My Yojimbo manages to tag along most of the time when SD & restriction limits are an issue!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They're great for anything but use on a cutting board, and even that's not too much more difficult. The Cento 4 is the perfect wharnie shape, in my opinion. I've modded 5 knives to be wharncliffes because it's such a great blade shape (araneae knows where I'm comin' from ;) ). I really wish Spyderco would make a large and small wharnie in the Salt line with the Salt 1 and Pacific Salt's handles - PE and SE for both. I didn't like wharnies til I accually tried one. Guess I shouldn't have judged a book by it's cover. They are gorgeous, too. :cool: One that I really did not like was the Kiwi. I gave it away. The blade seems too low or something on that one.

- best wishes, Jazz.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

If you live to regret one thing it be that you passed on the Cento 4.
If you do get a Cento 4, your next regret will be, never getting a Chokwe.
O.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

The Urban gets high marks from my wife. I can't comment too much, because she commandeered it from me. After testing many of my knives, she was determined it to be the best knife for her uses. She needed a knife to cut very light weight paper with a cut pulled towards her (pull cut). The cuts need to be precise and the paper mustn't rip. The Urban's thin tip easily pierces the paper to start the cut. The wharnie blade puts the knife at the right angle for a comfortable, controllable pull cut. The blade geometry/angle and thin width makes a very clean, precise cut. Lastly, the light weight of the knife makes it easy to control.

So, it the end we have discovered that the Urban is a precision cutting tool.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
burntrice

Post by burntrice »

The Deacon wrote:If I'm dressed, there's a Kiwi in my pocket.
I dont want to know where you keep it when your naked :eek:
dwong

Post by dwong »

etched spin is my edc, also ss spin got a very useful blade.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

A couple folks mentioned the PPT here, so I went to take a closer look at it …

It is definitely now on the list - near the top, I think …

I have GOT to learn to stay off this forum … :rolleyes:
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
v8r

Post by v8r »

burntrice wrote:I dont want to know where you keep it when your naked :eek:
I think I threw up in my mouth a little :(
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey folks,
i just got a kiwi3, and it seems like it's gonna be a great little knife. i think the warnie blade is very useful for most cutting tasks.
this is my first :spyder: warnie, and i'm in the process of buying a centofante 4, which i've been wanting for quite some time.
i've got a few warncliffs from other companies, but of course the spydies have won my favor, so i'm really looking foreward to putting these knives to use.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I EDC a wharnie, and have several others in my rotation. Such a great blade design. I do get tired of hearing "but it's like the blade is on the back side".
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.