MT07P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Damascus/VG-10

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mattman wrote:SFO won't ship anything but SlipIts and sharpeners to NY (the WHOLE state) while this debacle is proceeding...

Gonna have to jump through some hoops to get one of these...(will be my first Mule, so a lil adventure story to go with it right from the start might not be a bad thing...)

Edited to add: Thanks guys...should have worded that first post a little better!!
Thought it was just locking folders, and Sal seemed to imply in the the other day in the exchange quoted below that even that restriction had been removed for everywhere except NYC.

Sal wrote:
sal wrote:The new model is the same size as the original kiwi.

It really wasn't designed to be easily one handed. It's more of a "pocket" knife that's ok in areas like Germany and New York, where laws are prohibitive.

I imagine we could add a clip if our customers would prefer one?

sal
To which I responded:
The Deacon wrote:Only in 470 sq miles of New York, Sal. Darn near any Spyderco other than a Citadel or Embassy is good to go in the other 54,000 square miles of it. ;)
To which he responded:
sal wrote:You're correct Paul, but we still have to service the market. The other 54,000 square miles are permitted to get our other stuff.

sal
Given the context, I'm assuming "other stuff" to mean anything except the federally restricted items in the SAS Guide.

At any rate, I'll find out Friday if Kristi doesn't clarify things sooner.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry Paul,

I thought that was sorted, but I guess not.

sal
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Holy cow u gotta try and get a few of these. Thx taz for the heads up!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal I definitely hope you get this fixed by Friday. At the very least for the sub 4" fixed blades like the Mules, which according to one of these contradictory messages, should be available to all New Yorkers.
Please Note: The following items have been removed from your cart: Mule Team CTS-BD1. Please see the additional message below regarding orders to New York.

Due to the current events taking place in New York, Spyderco has elected to ship only select items until we have a clear understanding about how NY is interpreting their laws. Spyderco will ship only non-locking knives (SLIPITS & Slip Joints), fixed blade knives with blade lengths less than 4", and sharpening systems, to New York State residents.
Paul
mattman

Post by mattman »

Deacon- Thanks for jumping in (I know this affects you as well...)

Sal-I'll post my experience here, as you seem to be following

In August, my brother (the more 'active' collector between the two of us) attempted to order the last mule offering, and got in on the Edge Angle Finder before they were gone...SFO cancelled his order with out notifying him beforehand, then sent an email explaining the unfortunate situation regarding shipment to NY (obviously not Spydercos fault...) this would not have been too much of an issue, but he was really excited about the Edge Angle Finder...as along with this knife collecting bug, has come a sharpening theory/practice interest...so he missed out on the Edge Finder, which was actually the primary reason for the order to begin with, given its very limited availability.

Now, there is another attractive mule offering that I am interested in as well, and I called the SFO today to see if the policy was still in effect... It seems that it still is...so I was trying to figure out my options and get my ducks in a row prior to the release date of the new mule...

I did not realize that there had been a convo about the NY situation in another thread, but I'm glad to see that there are steps being taken to rectify it...

Lets hope we can avoid extra hoop-jumping to get some of these, not because I mind the extra work, but because of the principle of the matter...

Thanks again guys!!
slick228

Post by slick228 »

Hi Sal and Kristi,

Can you please tell us how many pieces will be or were produced?

Thanks!

:spyder:
Spyderco knife collector on a “Q” quest! :spyder: Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! :D
WTC #1520
Nukemkb

Post by Nukemkb »

Wow! Just beautiful!! I'm in for two!
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Is this damascus similar to the new damascus delica?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I love this. It will go so well with my JSA equipment. All of my JSA buddies will be really jealous.

I can't wait!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
The General

Post by The General »

Ahhggggg... wanted a Spyderco Damascus blade for ages. Now one comes along at a reasonable price and I cannot afford it. :(

Wish this had come about a couple of years ago, I would have bought two. :(
My real name is Wayne :D
angusW

Post by angusW »

Really tempted to buy two of these. Looks fantastic. I'm assuming each blade will have a slightly different pattern.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
MCM

Post by MCM »

Finally! :d
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
yuraelektra

Post by yuraelektra »

Excellent knife!!!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Quick Question,

Is it San Mai?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SolidState wrote:Quick Question,

Is it San Mai?
Not sure. The generic sense of the term is a blade made of three layers, with the center core being harder. The blade on the CF Caly 3, for example, would definitely qualify. However, a blade with damascus, which is itself comprised of multiple layers, as its outer layers does seem to blur that definition.
Paul
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

The Deacon wrote:Not sure. The generic sense of the term is a blade made of three layers, with the center core being harder. The blade on the CF Caly 3, for example, would definitely qualify. However, a blade with damascus, which is itself comprised of multiple layers, as its outer layers does seem to blur that definition.
Yeah, I agree Deacon. Generally, at least in Japanese cutlery, hitachi steel is sandwiched between damascus layers giving beauty and strength. The description sounds like it may be san mai with VG10 in the center, and the picture looks like that as well, but I could be wrong. Either way, I will be the proud owner of two.
Sir Humphry Davy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SolidState wrote:Yeah, I agree Deacon. Generally, at least in Japanese cutlery, hitachi steel is sandwiched between damascus layers giving beauty and strength. The description sounds like it may be san mai with VG10 in the center, and the picture looks like that as well, but I could be wrong. Either way, I will be the proud owner of two.
The way I understand it, it's a laminate, just like the 420J2/ZDP-189 on the Caly 3, only the two outer layers are damascus and the "core" is VG-10. From what I understand, the litereal translation of San Mai is "three layers", so I'm not sure whether or not it's valid to call the Takefu damascus used in the Mule san mai since Kristi described the damascus portion as 15 layer.
Paul
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Excellent,

Thanks for the input Deacon. I can assure you that what you described constitutes San Mai construction. San mai just means a 3-layer sandwich. It is not indicative of the folding used on the outside layers. The outside steel may be ayasugi, masame itame, or my favorite Mokume folding patterns and it will still count as san mai if there is hard steel in the middle.
Sir Humphry Davy
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

Gator at zknives has a great glossary of Japanese knife terms.

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/jpnk ... ypes.shtml
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Received an email from SFO this afternoon that, as the Mule's blade is under 4", they can, and will, ship to New York State customers!