Is anyone interested in a LIVESTRONG series of pocketknives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nemik51

Is anyone interested in a LIVESTRONG series of pocketknives

Post by nemik51 »

I would like to see Spyderco produce pocketknives for the Lance Armstrong
Foundation. Sales would benefit cancer research and Spyderco. I would like to hear from the management at Spyderco . I believe this is a great opportunity for Spyderco and the Livestrong organization. What do you think Sal ? Can this happen??!!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

YES!

A yellow G10 UKPK slipit with a wire clip and drop point FFG blade in XHP w/ cut LIVESTRONG in the scales.

I'm sure a conversation would have to happen with the org to make this happen, but I love it!

Ken
玉鋼
The General

Post by The General »

kbuzbee wrote:YES!

A yellow G10 UKPK slipit with a wire clip and drop point FFG blade in XHP w/ cut LIVESTRONG in the scales.

I'm sure a conversation would have to happen with the org to make this happen, but I love it!

Ken
Sounds good to me! :cool:
My real name is Wayne :D
nemik51

Livestrong Knives

Post by nemik51 »

I was thinking about a whole series of knives with black scales on one side and yellow on the other with LIVESTRONG molded into the handle.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Considering that Spyderco already has several models where a portion of the profits go to a worthy cause it wouldn't be the first time. Biut, there are several potential stumbling blocks.

Believe it or not, charities can be very particular as to who and what they want associated with them, and many are run by liberals, so there's no guarantee the foundation would want their name used in marketing knives.

Spyderco has, up to this point, kept yellow handles confined to their Salt series knives. Not sure if they'd want to change that.

Spyderco markets worldwide and Mr Armstrong is not held in high regard in some other countries.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
nemik51

Post by nemik51 »

I was thinking about a whole series of knives with black scales on one side and yellow on the other with LIVESTRONG molded into the handle.
nemik51

Post by nemik51 »

Would you buy one?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

nemik51 wrote:I was thinking about a whole series of knives with black scales on one side and yellow on the other with LIVESTRONG molded into the handle.
In addition to Paul's excellent points, a single knife is WAY more doable than a series. If it proves to be a run away success, a series would seem inevitable but initially, a single knife seems a more realistic place to start.

Ken
玉鋼
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I think even someting simple as an E4 or D4 with black FRN and a yellow back spacer with

"Livestrong" On the blade or handle would be cool too and easier for Spyderco to do since they haven't used (that I'm aware of) any Yellow G10.

I do love the UKPK Idea! I would buy one in a heartbeat :D
Vic
Habit Zero

Post by Habit Zero »

I like the idea of a knife with yellow or yellow and black G10 scales, but not so much the idea of a knife with words all over it... If it were to come to fruition I'd prefer to see just a tasteful little symbol incorporated into the Spydie for example. Or maybe "Livestrong" lasered around the opening hole.

Just my 3 cents.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Meh
MCM

Post by MCM »

jester wrote:meh
+1
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'll give it a no, I would not buy that.

They already have a model that donates to a cancer foundation, the Pink Native.

A line would be mildly ridiculous and probably would have a VERY tiny market. A single knife is more likely, but creation of an entirely new frn mold to have the LIVESTRONG logo in it is quite expensive.

Also, bikes and knives are not close cousins or even remotely related. Maybe a multi-tool made for bikes would be a better pitching ground for this idea.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I support the spirit of the idea, but not the idea in particular.

Nothing wrong with raising money for charity and good causes, but I don't think this has potential, to be a huge success, unless Lance Armstrong suddenly made it a mainstream thing to carry a knife.

Who knows! Maybe Spyderco, if they were at all interested in this, could make him a personalized LIVESTRONG knife, and see where it goes....

Meh. If they did it on an affordable model, I might get one, but knives won't really display the LIVESTRONG logo as well as a bracelet.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I know I wouldn't buy one.

I donate to Doctors Without Borders & breast cancer research, as well as volunteer for the Motorcycle Ride For Dad (Ride Crew for 2 years it's been going here) (prostate cancer).

I would rather send a donation, knowing that ~1/2 will be lost to admin costs, than only have them receive a couple bucks from a knife sale.
Same reason I don't buy those rubber bracelet things.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I can see a company like Case doing something like this, because they do sets of various patterns with a theme to the handles all the time, but not so much Spyderco.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

nemik51 wrote:Would you buy one?
No, I support a lot of charities but have no interest in supporting Lance Armstrong.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I saw some polling showing that Lance is the most well known athlete in the world. When Paul is referring to other countries, he means France. Bicycle racing is a more serious and well known sport outside of the US and even in France Lance has a vast number of supporters.

The real problem with the idea as I see it, is that any item done for Livestrong would need to be priced and sourced for millions of sales; not Spyderco's forte.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gmand16

Post by gmand16 »

Just as someone mentioned above, I like the thought behind it, but I would not purchase one.

I think a more appropriate (in my opinion) knife would be one that benefits the military. Say, a portion of the proceeds go to providing troops overseas with extracurricular items, candy etc...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's also a limit as to how much a small company like Spyderco can be expected to do. Right now they're sending out several free OIF Natives to servicemen each month, and have charitable donations tied to the Chokwe and Pink Native. I would be very surprised if they make a profit on the Whale Rescue Blades either.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!