Endura 4 Not Locking

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jstrickland

Endura 4 Not Locking

Post by jstrickland »

I did a search on the forum and did not any solutions. I have an Endura 4 that will not lock. I have tightened the allen "bolt" at the pivot but it still does not lock. Pretty disappointing. Other than attempting to send back to Spyderco, does anyone have a solution? When you send a knife back, do you get a replacement usually or is the original fixed. Thanks. J
unit

Post by unit »

What event preceded the lock not functioning properly? This may help determine the next appropriate step.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
rycen

Post by rycen »

Have you checked to make sure no pocket lint or anything is in the way?Will the knife open fully but not stay locked open?
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
unit

Post by unit »

The most common cause is some gunk stuck in the mechanism. This can be checked with a bright light (looking into the pivot area with the knife closed). Depending on what may be stuck in there, you can remove it with an old tooth brush, a tooth pick, or some other type of pick.

Other causes can be related to improper reassembly (if someone took the knife apart). Mid locks can be challenging to properly reassemble.

Open the knife and watch the lock bar. It should raise slightly (on the end nearest the pivot) as the knife pivots open, then snap downward as the notch rotates into place. When it snaps downward, is it flush with the sides of the handle? Does it snap downward? If not, close the knife, is the lockbar still up? or did it rotate downward as the knife pivoted closed?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Whether you get your knife back repaired, get a replacement, get a credit at SFO for its value, or get told the problem was caused by something outside of warranty, depends on what's wrong with your Endura 4, and exactly which version it is. If it's version that's no longer produced (like the white Sprint Run) and has issues covered under the warranty which cannot be repaired, you'd get a credit.

Over tightening the pivots can be counter productive, it can make the lockbar bind in the handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jstrickland

Post by jstrickland »

Thanks for the quick reply. No gunk in the pivot area or mechanism. The lock bar works as you specified (Unit). No real "incident" or "event" caused the problem. I carry the knife day to day but while cutting something at work noticed the blade folding back (not locking). Slipped the fingers out quick enough. I don't have the allen wrenches here (TDY) to do any tear downs. I may have to do that before sending it back. I don't sling the blade open or snap it so I doubt that I have broken anything that way.

The knife does stay open normally but folds without much more pressure than a non-lockblade closing.
rycen

Post by rycen »

They are not Allen head they are torx.I suggest not taking it apart and just sending it in.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
unit

Post by unit »

DO NOT attempt to fix this in any manner that involves wrenches of any sort!

Your only action should be to attempt to clean out any debris or sticky stuff, and apply a bit of lubricant.

IF the lock bar moves as it should, I am without suggestions. If the lock bar is sluggish and is not snapping down with an authoritative "CLICK" when the knife is opened then perhaps you got some sticky stuff in there that can be flushed out with soap and water followed by WD40 and/or lubricant.

Perhaps you or someone else tightened the lock pivot (the screw nearest the pivot) and slowed the action down to the point of dysfunction...hard to imagine though, but you mentioned tightening screws...Rust could result in the same behavior, but if the lock bar is snapping down, it sort of rules this out.

If a bath in warm soapy water followed by water displacement and lube does not cure the problem, contact Spyderco and arrange to send it in. Any attempts you make to "take the knife down" will void the warranty. There really is a lot of REALLY easy ways to botch a mid lock by taking it apart (no offense, many before you have ruined these knives by trying to figure out how they work).

You already have a knife that is not working properly...taking it apart and figuring out what is wrong is going to be tough and should be left to the pros.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Methinks you took the knife apart and reassembled it?

I've had Enduras never to lock again after disassembly.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would be contacting CS to see when to send it in. :)
The General

Post by The General »

HotSoup wrote:Methinks you took the knife apart and reassembled it?

I've had Enduras never to lock again after disassembly.
You know, try as I might, I can't help thinking the attitude of the poster and the general post on the forum rather than contacting Spyderco directly and sending it in. Well it strikes true with me as well.

Why would anyone post on the forum here complaining about this without speaking to Spyderco FIRST and sorting something out warranty wise?

I think its very possible the poster has tampered with the knife and now it will not lock.

Send it in and prove me wrong. ;)
My real name is Wayne :D
unit

Post by unit »

The General wrote:You know, try as I might, I can't help thinking the attitude of the poster and the general post on the forum rather than contacting Spyderco directly and sending it in. Well it strikes true with me as well.

Why would anyone post on the forum here complaining about this without speaking to Spyderco FIRST and sorting something out warranty wise?

I think its very possible the poster has tampered with the knife and now it will not lock.

Send it in and prove me wrong. ;)
Could be, or it could be that he is just an average Joe-non-knife-nut that found himself with a really nice knife and never realized that it had a problem until today which was the first time he stressed the blade in a closing direction? could be that this all happened on a weekend and he stumbled into the forum before going the warranty route.

I know that I would rather ask those in the know if there were any common issues that are user serviceable that I could handle on a Sunday afternoon rather than ship off a knife and wait for an answer.....it could happen ;)

Either way, the unanimous answer seems to be some variation of sending it to its maker for a once over.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

The General

Post by The General »

unit wrote:Could be, or it could be that he is just an average Joe-non-knife-nut that found himself with a really nice knife and never realized that it had a problem until today which was the first time he stressed the blade in a closing direction? could be that this all happened on a weekend and he stumbled into the forum before going the warranty route.

I know that I would rather ask those in the know if there were any common issues that are user serviceable that I could handle on a Sunday afternoon rather than ship off a knife and wait for an answer.....it could happen ;)

Either way, the unanimous answer seems to be some variation of sending it to its maker for a once over.
Yes you are right, it might happen. ;) :D
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I don't know where this gentleman is coming from :confused: The back locks are pretty much tried and tested. The OP should respond with more detailed information.

I know when I went to BF to sell some knives I was accosted by a couple of idiots just wanting to start trouble. Some people seem to enjoy that :mad:

I'm not saying the OP is this way, but the lack of detail and follow up lead me to consider the possibility. Come back Jstrickland, more detail needed.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jstrickland

Post by jstrickland »

Whatever. I was just asking for a solution not smart remarks about being an idiot or showing "attitude" in my post.
The General

Post by The General »

unit wrote:Could be, or it could be that he is just an average Joe-non-knife-nut that found himself with a really nice knife and never realized that it had a problem until today which was the first time he stressed the blade in a closing direction? could be that this all happened on a weekend and he stumbled into the forum before going the warranty route.

Then again... :rolleyes:
araneae

Post by araneae »

The best solution was offered by several people. Send it in. If it was a manufacturing issue, it will be taken care of.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

jstrickland wrote:Whatever. I was just asking for a solution not smart remarks about being an idiot or showing "attitude" in my post.
Short of contacting the manufacturer, the only way people can give you a solution is if they have a better idea of what the problem might be.

I'd definitely try cleaning out the pivot/lockup area. If there's tension keeping the blade shut, you pretty much know it's not a busted spring (at least from my understanding). Also if there's a click when it should be locking, and if the lockbar lies flat with the handle those are major considerations (especially if either is NOT happening)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since you've ruled out debris in the lock notch as the culprit, the only other thing you can do without risk of voiding your warranty would be to inspect the lock notch in the tang to be sure it is undamaged. If it's not, then the logical thing to do would be send it in to Spyderco. That's, of course, assuming it's a stock Endura. If it's a "FrankenSpyder" (somebody played mix 'n match with 2 Enduras to get the color/blade combo they wanted), then take it apart and see if you can determine what's wrong and whether buying a parts kit might solve the problem.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fireshaker

Post by Fireshaker »

I just joined up here today from Bladeforums (member since 02) while searching Google for a similar problem I was having.

My Endura 4 SS stopped locking several months ago and I've let it sit without doing anything to it other than trying to wash it out wich didn't help at all. At first while opening the blade it had a weird "grinding" feel to it instead of the usual smooth opening. I tried washing it out, flushing it, etc...and eventually the lock just stopped working all together.

I'm not rulling out gunk inside the locking well, but I sent it to Spyderco last week anyway as I was tired of just seeing it sit there unused.

When I get the knife back I'll let you know what they tell me as it may be a similar problem. I'm hoping it's covered under warranty.