S30V vs. ZDP 189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dj moonbat wrote:Nobody could stop us, could they?
What about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? ;)
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Michael Janich wrote:Dear Vassili:

It's unfortunate that you considered the "shoe banging" reference an insult to your Russian heritage. However, compared to the inflammatory tone of your posts, it was a very innocuous comment.

I chose to delete a portion of your post because it was overtly offensive and also included profanity. As a moderator on this forum, that is both my authority and my responsibility. If I ever overstep the bounds of my authority, I am sure that Sal and my other supervisors here at Spyderco will hold me accountable for my actions.

I will not apologize for doing my job.

Mike
Well, I did not have any notices from you or other moderators before my reply to that personal national based attack. So I can not accept your reference to my "inflammatory tone", as an excuse for you repeating this to me.

It was not me who started this. I would understand your action if you correct my post and one which started this, but you did not. You repeated this reference to my in your comment to my face, removing my remarks on shoe bang history and who was Nikita Khrishev in real, not like American propaganda draw him.

I also see that Sal is OK with this.

I am really disappointed. I had different image of Spyderco in my mind before.

Vassili.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

There is a difference between disagreement on steel performance, testing metodology, sharpening, level of expertise etc. Some people may not like other people opinion or position.

But we should not cross the line and bring national origin, sex or color of hair as an argument or way to hurt someone you disagree with. It may be excusable for kids but not for "Special Project Coordinator".

I do not see how it could be innocent until it was made by 3 years old kid.

Vassili.
The General

Post by The General »

So, what do people prefer?

Coke or Pepsi?

I am a Coke man myself.
My real name is Wayne :D
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

Ohhhh coca cola allll the way! Pepsi is Like benchmade in my eyes
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Yoo-hoo.
The General

Post by The General »

SpydieZ wrote:Ohhhh coca cola allll the way! Pepsi is Like benchmade in my eyes
Rock on brother! :D
My real name is Wayne :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

nozh2002 wrote:It was not me who started this. I would understand your action if you correct my post and one which started this, but you did not. You repeated this reference to my in your comment to my face, removing my remarks on shoe bang history and who was Nikita Khrishev in real, not like American propaganda draw him.
Vassili,

Maybe it is a language barrier issue, but Michael Janich did not repeat the shoe banging comment to your face. When he edited your post for content, he removed the swearing and political discussion portions. He then summarized what he removed. The word "gist" means: summary or quick recap. So when he typed "GIST: NIKITA KRUSHCHEV BANGED HIS SHOE ON HIS DESK DURING A UN DEBATE IN OCTOBER 1960," he was only letting people know what your edited portion had been addressing. He was not repeating this attack on you.

Anyway, you should be happy that there are Americans who have taken enough of an interest in Soviet history to even know what this reference means. Or maybe you should get a sense of humor. You could have suggested that Khrushchev, immediately after banging the shoe, threw it at the head of the US president for being such a pompous ignoramus. Lighten up a little and stop taking everything so seriously.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

jabba359 wrote:Vassili,

Maybe it is a language barrier issue, but Michael Janich did not repeat the shoe banging comment to your face. When he edited your post for content, he removed the swearing and political discussion portions. He then summarized what he removed. The word "gist" means: summary or quick recap. So when he typed "GIST: NIKITA KRUSHCHEV BANGED HIS SHOE ON HIS DESK DURING A UN DEBATE IN OCTOBER 1960," he was only letting people know what your edited portion had been addressing. He was not repeating this attack on you.

Anyway, you should be happy that there are Americans who have taken enough of an interest in Soviet history to even know what this reference means. Or maybe you should get a sense of humor. You could have suggested that Khrushchev, immediately after banging the shoe, threw it at the head of the US president for being such a pompous ignoramus. Lighten up a little and stop taking everything so seriously.
No this was not summary of my post. In that post I explain that Nokita Khrushev being peasant with no education (or manners) bring SU from totally ruined by War to leadership in space. He also successfully push America around the World and make it remove nukes from Turkish and sign to not to cause trouble for Cuba as result of Cuban crisis.

It was actually for good to US - Khrushev cause America to wake up and spend billions (in 1960th prices) on math, science, education - see Sputnik Crisis in wikipedia. Results of that effort is modern US.

So Janich clearly did not summarise what he removed, but repeat same action.

Now, I do not feel like second class to be happy that there are American who have taken enough of an interest in Soviet history. Why should I be happy? How would you like me saying that you should be happy if some Russians know about Civil War? Which is in the school books in Russia BTW, it was happening almost same time my ancestors were liberated from slavery.

Russia has great history keeping piece in Europe stopping first Swedish invasion with Carl IV and make Sweden neutral for 300 years, then French with Napoleon, then Germans with Hitler.

Help North against South during Civil War deploying Russian Navy to protect New York and San Francisco from sea attacks.

It is really unfortunate that Cold War propaganda made everybody not aware of this, but remembering shoe bang instead.

Would you like to be innocuous reminded about "Clinton-Lewinsky bang" same way I was reminded about "shoe bang", if you disagree with my edge retention testing in inflammatory tone?

Thanks, Vassili.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

nozh2002 wrote:...Would you like to be innocuous reminded about "Clinton-Lewinsky bang" same way I was reminded about "shoe bang", if you disagree with my edge retention testing in inflammatory tone?

Thanks, Vassili.
Hey! You do have a sense of humor! That actually made me laugh out loud! If you were to use the "Clinton-Lewinsky bang" comeback in such a way, I would have to admit that your retort was well played, give you a hearty congratulations on your wit and humor, and move on. Life's too short to let such trivial jokes insult you. People make fun of things that pertain to me in certain ways all the time. I either laugh it off or pity their ignorance. The choice is mine whether or not to be personally insulted, and I choose not to be.

On topic, I don't have any brilliant sharpening skills, but S30V and VG-10 are two steels that hold their edges fairly well and are pretty easy to sharpen. While my Carpenter CTS-XHP Manix 2 is not as difficult to sharped as ZDP (from what I've read), it still took me significantly longer to get it sharp the first time around (haven't done a second time around yet). Until I get better at sharpening, I prefer the decent edge retention and easier sharpening of S30V.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

I have had S30V in the Millie and ZDP in the Stretch.

S30V is a fine steel, which I pushed to its limits only once. The combination of the blade geometry of the Mili and the good wear resistance led to it somehow managing to separate matter when it was very, very dull by knife nut standards(not even tearing paper)

The ZDP was not similarly pushed to its limits as I had only got the Stretch for a day or two.
whkento

Post by whkento »

jabba359 wrote:Hey! You do have a sense of humor! That actually made me laugh out loud! If you were to use the "Clinton-Lewinsky bang" comeback in such a way, I would have to admit that your retort was well played, give you a hearty congratulations on your wit and humor, and move on. Life's too short to let such trivial jokes insult you. People make fun of things that pertain to me in certain ways all the time. I either laugh it off or pity their ignorance. The choice is mine whether or not to be personally insulted, and I choose not to be.

On topic, I don't have any brilliant sharpening skills, but S30V and VG-10 are two steels that hold their edges fairly well and are pretty easy to sharpen. While my Carpenter CTS-XHP Manix 2 is not as difficult to sharped as ZDP (from what I've read), it still took me significantly longer to get it sharp the first time around (haven't done a second time around yet). Until I get better at sharpening, I prefer the decent edge retention and easier sharpening of S30V.
YES!

Vissili, thank you for the comic relief. You always have a talent for writing the most entertaining replies.

Kento
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i didnt know mj had mod responsibilities? thats pretty nice to do for free.
who else has admin privilge? taz,sal,mj,....?
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

nokita? is that the guy who runs the cell phone company?

by the way its nikita khrushchev, not the other five versions you said.
and russia didnt fight against germany... they fought with them. ask poland he'll tell you.

only after barbarossa did russia help the rest of us.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

and russia didnt fight against germany... they fought with them. ask poland he'll tell you.
Well, sure -- Stalin sold Poland down the river.

But that's hardly the same thing as Russia not fighting Germany (much less fighting with Germany).

If Hitler hadn't been so stupid as to go after Russia (before locking down Germany's other gains), who knows how ugly things might have gotten. Russia bled Hitler's army, at enormous expense in Russian lives, and without that bleeding, the Nazis would likely have won WWII.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

sorry your right .
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Guys, seriously? Enough. How about we get back on topic?
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Or perhaps we should just start a new thread to debate the various interpretations of WW2 and the Great Patriotic War? ;) Or perhaps not - to be honest, I think both sides of the debate are over-playing their hands a bit ... but let's not forget that millions of brave people died defending the world against Nazi oppression. Arguments about which side did more really don't do anything to honour their sacrifice.

What Kristi said :D ... what exactly was the original topic? :p
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Guys, seriously? Enough. How about we get back on topic?
Sorry. I meant to say: CPMS30V is for sissies; ZDP189 is for badasses.

Man, I need a sandwich.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This thread has gone mad cow. It cannot be saved. I propose we kill the suffering animal and burn it's corpse.