Knife with prying blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm surprised nobody ever mentions the Besh Wedge when talking about prying knives. If you wanna pry with your knife, that's the design to pick. But, surprise surprise, they all come as a fixed blade....if that tells you anything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

I NEED a mini prybar! I used my Buck 110 to pry lids off of chemical canisters at work because I could not find my screwdriver that my coworker borrowed.It was heavy duty and had a decent work edge not razor sharp.I prefer a one handed opener.I thought of getting a heavier knife to pry plastic lids with but the mini prybar is perfect.I have seen many times people use knives instead of the ideal tool.Many tips broken when used as a phillips screwdriver.I learned not to use a knife as a screw driver when I was about 10 years old.I still use a knife at work when I really should use my tubing cutter-especially heavy walled tubing.I see where a screwdriver tip/prybar knife would be a good idea for paint cans and such like getting jammed case out of a gun(empty case,not unfired).
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Well once the Tuff comes out that should solve the prying issue. :D

It would still be better to have a pry bar or a fixed blade, but in a pinch a tough folder will do the trick when better tools aren't available or aren't within reach of your toolbox.

I don't know anyone who walks around with a toolbox strapped to their back 24/7/365.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I choose not to pry with a knife, but I am open to a small prying tool in my daily kit.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I want a strong blade not so much to pry with, but to be able to penetrate a sternum if needed. I would think a blade that can pry would be robust enough for that purpose.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

For me a knife is for cutting, not prying. Will look into the little prybar.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

See my knife prying here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyl2CGb2N38

I've have constantly used this knife for the same type of prying, digging, and other non cutting work before and after I made the video. The difference with my use is they are not abusive tests to make it fail. I didn't expect it to handle the things I put it through right away and for what it cost I definately did not want to break it. I started small then worked my way up to larger non cutting tasks as I felt more comfortable with it's ability. If it works then I stop there. I don't keep going on to harder use that'll I will never actually use it for just to make a fail video. I do this with knives and other tools all the time and it lets me find the limits without breaking something. It doesn't replace the correct tool but it's there and it works. Sorry, I'm not an EDC nerd that carries a kit for everything that could possibly arise in my urban survial world.

"...When you need a knife, you're not looking for a knife, you're looking to separate something from something else." -Sal Glesser, President of Spyderco

Weather you're cutting, sawing, slicing, scraping, lifting label, opening a paint lid, or prying a door, your're separating something from something else. Knives are universal tools.

JK, I pry with my knife because my Droid doesn't have an app for it yet :p
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've posted this before, but STR made a small Titanium Prybar. That's what I have and use. They are medium sized, about as wide as my hand, pretty thin, and the thinner end is actually a bit sharp for getting in small spaces. I would be surprised if they were more than an ounce including the paracord.

I want to say that they are about 3" long by 3/8" wide by a little over 1/16 inch thick.

Here is your link. http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot. ... ybars.html
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Figured I would post the website were I bought my mini pry bar. I work in a cast iron shop and digging out chips from a tight contoured area or braking off thin flakes of excess slag made this an easy buy. I bought the 4 1/8" bar.

http://www.countycomm.com/straightwidgybar.htm

Oh and I just beat my frozen hamburgers on the counter till they brake off. :D

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
cr123

mini pry bars or larger is what i pry with

Post by cr123 »

Hi:

i would only pry w/a knife if that was the only tool available in an emergency situation. i carry mini prybars with me for those destapling duties and other tasks that require light duty prying. For heavier duty pry tasks, i do have a pry bar in the trunk.

i was looking at the buck bravo for a while. it looks like a folding chisel.

a benchmade mini grip combo tanto i gifted my friend lost a bit of its tip. he tried to pry something. i think he learned his lesson that knives r for cutting. i'm gonna buy him some mini prybars so he could use those for his prying tasks. and maybe replace that broken benchmade with a spydie delica. :p
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

ESEE makes a fairly popular knife with a prybar built into the end of the handle. The demand is certainly there.

The only Spydie I'd even consider prying with is a blunt tip Caspian Salt.

Prying with any folder? No thanks.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

What we need is a Spydie TL-29! :)