When it rains it pours/Fire in the Walls

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

So sorry to hear of your trouble Doc.

Well done on listening to your "little voice" and investigating further. The lives you saved could have been any of us.

Insurance?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

First off...Thank you all for your well wishes and encouragement....it is much appreciated. Things are moving slow, building permits finally in place...dealing with insurance, adjusters, Inspectors, Fire Marshall, Underwriters, Electrical Engineers, Electricians, Architects, Restoration crews, and Contractors, landlords...just to mention a few...I tell you it's very different from teaching martial arts and I'm getting quite the education...I'd still rather be teaching though...When all is said and done, they all promise to have me up and running in a week or so, but I think that is wishful thinking. I'll take one day at a time and see what happens...It's not fun, I'm trying to keep my spirits high, laughing on the outside but really crying on the inside...I'm glad at least no one was hurt. The Firemen told me If I hadn't been there when I was, and didn't think to feel the walls for a problems, in 15 short minutes the whole shopping plaza would have been engulfed in flames...So I'm glad things got under control real quick, the Firemen were great, and tried to do as little damage as they could putting out the fire...I am grateful for that as none of possessions burnt up, only smoke and water damage...Seems like the Landlords insurance is going to foot the bill for reconstruction, new electric wiring for the whole place, fixtures, new paint and any structural damage. I just have to deal with the contents, cleaning etc. So that's a good thing. It's still hard watching everyone else at work conducting business while I sit on the side lines waiting for the next appointment with the next fix-up crew. I wish I could go and teach at another location, but I can't cause I have to be in my place to accommodate all the workman....the bad news is my insurance does not cover me for loss of business, and times being hard enough right now economy wise, that kinda sucks...I hoping this to will pass quickly and I'll be able to teach once again real soon. Funny how you don't really miss something till it's gone....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Sorry to hear about your loss Doc. As you and others have mentioned it could have been much worse. A few more minutes and the shutdown could be measured in months versus weeks.

One day at a time sounds like a plan. Hang in there.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Good On Ya, Doc, for your fortunate presence there and then physically, as well your presence of mind in catching the hot spots in the wall when you did.

As a fully trained military firefighter, I can tell you that you indeed did everything right.

Rest well, my friend / Bruce :spyder:
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Sorry to hear you're going through this Doc, hope all the repairs will be quick though.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Doc, prayers sent that your school is up and running again in no time!

Thank God you stopped in when you did! I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Doc,
I am really sorry to hear about this trouble. I hope your business will be running at no time
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Day 7....Looks like we are about half-way there...My insurance adjuster just came down yesterday...Speedy huh? LOL.....Funny, the Town Building Inspector came down yesterday and yelled at me telling me that mothers of my kids in class have been calling the town to find out if the building is going to collapse, I was like WHAT? You see I only have one kids class of about 6 kids...my population of students is 99% adults. I got the real story a few hours later. Seems like my landlord's Insurance broker came by and read the stern warning sign the building inspector put in the window about my place being unsafe and dangerous....he called his friend the councilmen and complained to him that they were trying to put me out of business with that sign, the councilmen in turn chew the A$$ off the inspector who ran right down here and hand wrote on my sign "Closed: Due to small Electrical Fire" and yelled at me...LOL....I feel like the family dog who just got kicked after everyone in the house had a bad day.....LMAO.... Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

githima

Post by githima »

Best wishes to you Doc!

Stephan
Slick

Post by Slick »

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully this will turn out for the best. You saved the day and get new wiring and a chance to improve your business location.

I live in a funky older house and I would think to feel the walls because I live in older house with unknown old wiring that was remodeled by the previous owner. I know a building inspector who has amazing stories of the stupid stuff home owners and remodelers try and get away with. That someone just remodeled (buried) over exiting wiring is scary. If it was up to me we would still be using grounded steel conduit. Is there any chance the building inspector's people can figure out how this occured? There may be other remodels in the same time frame needing a second look.

Best of luck and I do not think you were there by chance.
Not really all that slick ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Well....we are getting closer to opening....Electric in my place was totally redone, air ducts clean etc. all the structural stuff done, town inspectors approved everything, now for the clean up, was supposed to have a company in two days ago to clean the contents, but I fired them, hired another company that was going to work thru the weekend to help get me up and running...Fired them as well, I don't know...what's the matter with people...seems like some of them will promise everything , then change their minds, or say they never said that, or won't move their a$$es or won't answer questions...I always do what I say, and my word is my bond, I think it has something to do with Integrity! You can call me names, you can show up late, you don't have to be perfect, but one thing I won't tolerate is when someone lies to me. So rather than deal with the BS and aggravate while dealing with these clean up crews and owners, since I have to be here myself acting like a General Contractor...I figured out I might as well do it myself!...So it will take a little longer but it will be done right!....Thanks for listening to me rant, I hope to join my spyderco familyon this forum once again in about a week or so.....Doc :D

ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Glad you are seeing progress. I hope you can start classes before the month is over.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KaliGman

Good Luck

Post by KaliGman »

Hi Doc,

I've been busy (couple of big cases in the "takedown" stage right now) and pop into the forum and see that you had some major drama with your school. Good luck with the repairs and I hope you get it up and running soon.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Donut

Post by Donut »

It's good to see that the pour has turned into a sprinkle.

Keep at it. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Dr. Snubnose

Almost there!

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks guys and gals, We are in the final stretch, The interior structure has been cleaned, walls mirrors furniture etc. I'm painting tomorrow and the next day..(contractors gave me estimates like they where doing gold leafing)..floor waxer is coming thurs.to strip clean and high gloss polish the floors, sending out the uniforming for cleaning and the rugs for steam cleaning, then all I have left is to clean my contents and put the place back together again with some improvements...I hope to re-open Saturday of this week....YAY!!!!...Doc :D

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Doc,
It is good to hear that your trouble will be over soon. You need to take some pictures at reopening and post here.
Good luck,
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ahhhhh.....This is the first day that I'm back to teaching since the Fire. For three weeks I was the hardest working unemployed individual...LOL...Feels good to be back in the saddle. Still some things to be done but I had the open floor space at the center....so I figured why wait till everything was complete...Lets get the show on the road so to say...Thanks everyone for your well wishes and kind thoughts and support...Doc :D

tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

glad to hear that you are back in business Doc!
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
githima

Post by githima »

Good news!

keep on

Stephan
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wonderful news. Take advantage of the good fortune. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!