Questions about the Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ICSK

Questions about the Native

Post by ICSK »

Hey guys, I have been pondering the sale of a Spyderco Native. For me, a CPM-S30V blade at that price point was a steal! However, I did have some questions regarding it
  1. Does the jimping on the top provide adequate grip? Can I expect it to be as grippy as my other Spydercos that have the combo thumb ramp + jimping?
  2. Same question for the texturing on the FRN. Is it as grippy as the volcano gripped endura/delica?
  3. I noticed that in the photos, part of the hole was covered. Is it easy to deploy?
  4. Is there jimping on the thumb choil? It doesn't look like it but I thought I'd ask.
  5. Is it fully riveted? From the pictures, it doesn't look like there's any screws for anything other than the pocket clip
  6. What's the purpose of that secondary edge on the top of the blade?
  7. Has sal announced plans for a FFG native?
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My opinions in red...
ICSK wrote:Hey guys, I have been pondering the sale of a Spyderco Native. For me, a CPM-S30V blade at that price point was a steal! However, I did have some questions regarding it
  1. Does the jimping on the top provide adequate grip? Can I expect it to be as grippy as my other Spydercos that have the combo thumb ramp + jimping? Adequate is subjective - I'd say it provides less grip than a high thumb ramp would, but at least as much as a finely jimped low one, like the Sage.
  2. Same question for the texturing on the FRN. Is it as grippy as the volcano gripped endura/delica? Not quite. But, IMHO, the handle shape compensates for that.
  3. I noticed that in the photos, part of the hole was covered. Is it easy to deploy? Partly covered and relatively small to boot. Still, it works fine if your hands are warm, dry, and bare. Harder to open if any of those are not true.
  4. Is there jimping on the thumb choil? It doesn't look like it but I thought I'd ask. No, there is no jimping on the choil.
  5. Is it fully riveted? From the pictures, it doesn't look like there's any screws for anything other than the pocket clip Yes, fully riveted except for the barrel bolt clip screw.
  6. What's the purpose of that secondary edge on the top of the blade? In theory, a swedge grind aids penetration.
  7. Has sal announced plans for a FFG native? Not sure what the final decision is regarding grind for the Golden version of the Native IV, or even if it has been made. There already was one FFG Native, last year's Forum version.
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Well fielded Paul!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mattexian

Post by Mattexian »

I have a question about the Native, also, tho more about the cosmetics of them. How many different colors are available for the handles? There's the basic black (which I have one of), the OIF/OEF desert tan (there's one sitting on eBay for the longest time), the "save the boobies" pink, IIRC a forum purple several years back, the stainless Native 2 (I think; I could be wrong on that one), and now the carbon fiber IV (altho isn't that just another black?).

I guess what I'm hoping for is some other colors to become available, like they are for the Delica and Endura models, specifically a coyote tan or brown model besides the OIF/OEF one (especially if it was a plain-edge, I don't need the full serrated blade).

Matt in Tx
Recovering BoyScout(TM), now doing GoodTurns(TM) fortnightly!
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Mattexian wrote:How many different colors are available for the handles? There's the basic black (which I have one of), the OIF/OEF desert tan (there's one sitting on eBay for the longest time), the "save the boobies" pink, IIRC a forum purple several years back, the stainless Native 2 (I think; I could be wrong on that one), and now the carbon fiber IV (altho isn't that just another black?).
The purple one was only last year. There was another forum knife that was done in Blue FRN, as well as a non-forum version of the same knife. There has been a G10 handled version, done in a different shade of blue. And then there were the ones with the inlayed G10 handles - one in blue and one in "root beer" mother of pearl. None of these are still being made, however.

Unfortunately, there has been no H-1 Salt version of this knife (yet?).
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Mattexian

Post by Mattexian »

bohica1998 wrote:The purple one was only last year. There was another forum knife that was done in Blue FRN, as well as a non-forum version of the same knife.
<snippage>
Unfortunately, there has been no H-1 Salt version of this knife (yet?).
Ah, I thought there had been a forum one in blue, but when I checked the first one that popped up was the purple.

A Salty Native would be cool, since I was thinking if they made a light enough color, it could be dyed, as I've seen with others (and it'd be even more rustproof!) How well does a dye-job hold up?

Matt in Tx
Recovering BoyScout(TM), now doing GoodTurns(TM) fortnightly!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To clarify, last years C41 Forum Native was purple. The only blue FRN Forum Native was a C78 Native III back in 2003. The only other blue Natives were the blue G-10 C41 Native which was BladeForums 2001 Forum knife and was available in both PE and SE. Some specimens of both the blue G-10 C41 and blue FRN C78 were also sold without forum knife markings. To the best of my knowledge, none of last years purple FRN C41's were.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!