FRN Stretch II lock up woes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
firebert

FRN Stretch II lock up woes

Post by firebert »

Hey guys, just was wondering if anyone else with the FRN version of the stretch 2 was having lockup issues.

No matter what I do I cannot remove the side to side wiggle (not blade bend) that plagues my Stretch. The only way to make it stop is to tighten the pivot so much that the blade deployment cannot be opened easily.

I have a Manix 2 and Sage I that deploy much faster and lock up solid. So I am hoping that this can be fixed. Is this an issue with all lockback FRN models?

Also when I open the knife the lockback part protrudes over the blade on top, and it feels bumpy (almost like there are machine burs inside the lock back surface)

Any ideas would be helpful, thank you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
NAKK77

Post by NAKK77 »

Hope not, i just ordered my first Stretch 2.
Galatians 2:20
Total Surrender /FONT]
firebert

Post by firebert »

most other online reviews claim "solid perfect " lockup, I'm hopeing for your sake mine is just different
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I've never felt so much as a an inkling of movement in my stretch, and I don't believe I've heard anyone complain about this before. In fact all my Spyderco mid-back-lock knives have been solid as a rock. You can try tightening the pivot screw somewhat, but be careful not to do it too much or it will not open as smooth. There's generally a perfect pivot tension where there's no blade-play, but the deployment is still smooth. If tightening the pivot does not take away the blade-play and it is significant, you can certainly send it to spyderco's warrenty & repair, they certainly would take care of it.

Many people say (and I agree) that a little side to side movement doesn't inhibit the functioning, but when I'm paying more than $50 for a knife i would certainly hope for a solid lockup. Certainly with every spyderco, my experience has been that the lockups are solid, and any play that develops can be easily adjusted.
firebert

Post by firebert »

thanks for the insight, I have many spyderco knifes that have the perfect sweetspot, but the machining on the back lock seems out of spec. the boye detent is also uneven, and I have confirmed the burns underneath the lock visually.

Looks like I'll call them in the morning!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TBob

Post by TBob »

Yep, sounds like a W&R issue. Mine opens smoothly after break-in, locks up perfectly and there's zero play in any direction.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

Try adjusting the lockbar pivot screw. When it's right it shouldn't be that tight at all.
Intentionally Left Blank
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Are both washers in place?
Are the SS liners straight?

<:{{{{{>
Tom
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Three possibilities.

The knife could be defective, in which case returning it would be the sensible thing to do.

Your expectations could be unrealistic. Midlock knives will never open with the same fluid ease as liner, frame, and ball lock models. Attempting to meet such expectations could have caused you to loosen the pivot, which would cause the side to side play.

If the source was other than a dealer, a prior owner may have tampered with the knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

My Stretch has an awesome opening action, especially for a lockback. I can flick that sucker out if I want, it's smooth, it's just a very good knife. I think I may have gotten lucky with my example. It's nothing like the Delicas and Enduras I've had, and I've had a few.

It has a bit of side to side play but nothing really serious. The only lockback I have to compare it to is the G10 Dragonfly and it definitely has more play, but still nothing to really worry about.

I don't know what you mean by machining marks but Boye dents always look a bit funny because they seem to bevel the edges of the spine in the dent a bit. If you mean the area on the sides of the lockbar, that just isn't polished in this model... but it shouldn't have goughes/scratches in it. If it just has grind lines that's normal.
HeiHeit

Post by HeiHeit »

I've experienced this with a couple of spyderco lock backs and you fix it by finding the perfect "zen" between the pivot and the screw right behind it. You'll have to play with the tightness or looseness of both to get it right. Make sure to put some blue loctite on them before you start!
unit

Post by unit »

Mine has play in all directions. I would characterize it as identical to 12 or so other odd midlocks I have from Spyderco. Various users will have various abilities to detect the play, and different personal tolerances to it...therefore the reports will vary.

Now the real issue is in regard to yours and how it is different or similar to the specifications set by Spyderco. That will likely require contacting the manufacturer.

The Manix 2, and the Sage 1 are very different knives and the amount of acceptable blade play on them is going to be different. I suggest that there are different standards for different lock types and blade play is not always bad (though some people can not tolerate it). If you can not tolerate blade play, I would suggest a different type of lock.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

firebert wrote:Hey guys, just was wondering if anyone else with the FRN version of the stretch 2 was having lockup issues.

No matter what I do I cannot remove the side to side wiggle (not blade bend) that plagues my Stretch. The only way to make it stop is to tighten the pivot so much that the blade deployment cannot be opened easily.
I have a Manix 2 and Sage I that deploy much faster and lock up solid. So I am hoping that this can be fixed. Is this an issue with all lockback FRN models?

Also when I open the knife the lockback part protrudes over the blade on top, and it feels bumpy (almost like there are machine burs inside the lock back surface)Any ideas would be helpful, thank you.

Hello firebert, your case looks familiar than mine. I get Stretch for my birthday gift from my girl and since I live in Slovenia I didn't send it to WR as I didn't know if that's ''normal'' and the shipping would be expensive and maybe there would also be some custom taxes. I see now I made a wrong decision.

Well I got rid of lockback part that protrudes over the blade but there is still some vertical play which I hoped I would get rid off if the bump would ''click'' in it's place. So now the knife locks nice but there is some vertical play. I belive that even more than before.

On my example it also looks like there are some mashine burs inside the lock. So that might be the reason for our issues.

About side to side play I think it's like people have told you. You just have to tighten the pivot. It will not be as smooth as manix but I can still flick it open and close it one hand so this I don't really consider an issue.

I belive we get bad apple as all the rewievs I read about Stretch were positive. It really is nice and ergonomical knife but this issue about the lock bothers me (for a new knife) so for my EDC there is manix in my pocket :)

P.S. I think you should send it to warranty rapair especially if you are from USA.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would think most concerns could be tweaked with a Torx set by you (if done properly). A well oiled knife that's been tightened properly has the best of both worlds.

Blade play is subjective and VERY rarely a concern regarding "lock up", at least with Spyderco. Similar to why brake pad pulse is very seldom a concern with stopping distance...it's just a little less comfortable. Having "no lockup" is nearly impossible because I can get a little out of my Manix2 and can see a little when Nutnfancy does tests on his other tactical knives.

Some of your other concerns could simply be manufacturing issues as these are not custom knives. My lockbar has your same marks when it raises and the Boyle lockbar grind is uneven also (many are).

As for the deployment speed almost all frame locks or similar designs will feel more free. There is less natural resistance which is why fewer people go to the ER after reaching into a lockback pocket. =) Sometimes you have to decide if you want lightning fast deployment or a little less blade play and go from there.

Another solution is to call W&R and ask them or send in the knife. If your knife is within spec I suggest selling it or adjusting your expectations.

It's a value-priced performance tool with great ergonomics and a superb slicing profile. It's far from the perfect knife for everyone. Nobody here would judge you if you didn't dig it.