Edge Angle Guide AG1 - experiences and discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

sal wrote:I must support FLYcrash's suggestion.

Learning to shave with a straight razor is a great experience to learn and do, especially for a knife afi. I did so for a couple of decades.

sal

Does this mean you are considering my request for a Spyderco straight razor? Come on Sal, you know you want to.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

HeiHeit wrote:I've not been able to pick up a straight razor yet, but I do definitely want one; I just keep buying knives! I do however use a badger brush and traditional cream and it is fantastic! It is sandalwood scented and wheww it's nice! Any recommendations for a rather inexpensive straight razor?

Sorry for the hijacking :o

I have a few straight razors I use, best place to pick one up is an antique store. An 80 year old straight will work just as well as a brand new one, but save you $100 or more.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tex,

We've thought about it. We've got too many irons in the fire to do that right now.

As far as getting them, there are a few good sources around and I just heard a new company is making them in the US. I think they Tim Zowada designs.

I still use the soap and brush, but they don't make eyes like they used to. ;)

sal
butch

Post by butch »

yes Tim and a CO. are behind the new US made razors and are a great deal for a new razor made here in the US

wander how well some of my kitchen knives or razors would read on the angle gauge
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

well i just got mine in the mail today....i wanted to check a Krein regrinded zdp horn that i bought 2nd hand. the main bevel of the blade is probably 7 degrees and the bevel at the edge is 10 degrees. i think it is a useful lil tool, probably more so for the sharpening nuts on here. thanks for making it Sal. :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
cr123

snoozed and loozed

Post by cr123 »

ack,
i remember seeing this guide mentioned in another thread. this guide and the Sharpmaker rods would make a pretty good portable sharpening kit in the field.

will there another run of these? they seem to have sold out quick.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tonydahose wrote:well i just got mine in the mail today....i wanted to check a Krein regrinded zdp horn that i bought 2nd hand. the main bevel of the blade is probably 7 degrees and the bevel at the edge is 10 degrees. i think it is a useful lil tool, probably more so for the sharpening nuts on here. thanks for making it Sal. :)
Mine too! And similar results with my Krein Kiwi. Regular ones, by comparison, are between 25 and 30 at the edge although a couple of my most used ones are down between 20 and 25.

Hope I'm using it right, can't figure how you could use the tip guards and still see the gauge.
cr123 wrote:ack,
i remember seeing this guide mentioned in another thread. this guide and the Sharpmaker rods would make a pretty good portable sharpening kit in the field.

will there another run of these? they seem to have sold out quick.
IF you're in the US, try calling SFO, or check the webpage again tonight or tomorrow. They seem to be putting them up in batches, rather than all at once.

If you did miss out, there's a chance it will become a production item, if feedback from this test batch is positive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

i checked wednesday, and they were sold out.
saw this post yesterday evening and checked the store, ordered mine last night and got the shipping con. today. :)
should get it next week sometime.
thought it was a very cool item!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Butch,
butch wrote:yes Tim and a CO. are behind the new US made razors and are a great deal for a new razor made here in the US
Tim does great work. I still use a forge that he made for me many years ago. We've got a sprint run going on one of the early Zowada Spyderco's. I hope their razors are getting a good response.
butch wrote:wander how well some of my kitchen knives or razors would read on the angle gauge
I reground one of the Spyderco kitchen knives many years ago and shaved with it for years.

sal
phaust

Post by phaust »

I got mine today, too. It's been interesting to see what each knife is really at. For instance, a week ago I cut through an apple too fast and hit the counter with an Atlantic Salt, and it bent the edge quite a bit, so I decided to reprofile it to a larger angle for a bit more strength. It turns out the new angle is ~15 degrees, so it was pretty darn acute before (it sees light duties mostly).

When I picked up the package, I thought they must've sent me the wrong order because it was so heavy! It was just the various catalogs, pricing guides, etc., though. No wonder shipping was originally so high :p (which is not to imply I am not glad to have the catalogs)

All in all, it's a very cool tool. It will be nice for more people to be able to share experiences with different steels at specific angles.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I have a couple of old razors from the early 1900s, Ludwig baer, and a Wade and Butch. What would be the best way to clean them up and get them super sharp again, although they both are still sharp now.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Sharpening aside, I'd be interested in using this guide just to check edge angles among all of my knives. Which company has the greatest consistency, who uses what angles, are old models similar to new models in their angles, etc.
~ Nate
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Simple Man wrote:Well I am a fan, and Old is just a state of mind....or an opinion, take yer pick.
I think I just got what you meant by "old". I didn't mean you, I meant the old, original Lynyrd Skynyrd band. One of my first concerts. "One More From The Road" album tour. Capital Center, Maryland. Like it was yesterday. Thought the collisium was going to explode. Yes youngsters, I said album. Nothing to do with knives so seel ya later.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

A suggestion for the production version would be to consider putting the numbers on both sides.

A couple "how to" pictures on the letter that comes with it, or a link to a short YouTube video would help too. Using it may be totally intuitive to some but, as an example, I am trying to figure out how I would use the tip guards without blocking my view. While I can be a box of rocks at times, I may not be the only one who isn't 100% sure he's using it correctly.
Paul
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

The Deacon wrote:A suggestion for the production version would be to consider putting the numbers on both sides.

A couple "how to" pictures on the letter that comes with it, or a link to a short YouTube video would help too. Using it may be totally intuitive to some but, as an example, I am trying to figure out how I would use the tip guards without blocking my view. While I can be a box of rocks at times, I may not be the only one who isn't 100% sure he's using it correctly.
Uh oh, there's no pamphlet with the product? Um, I hate to sound like the village idiot but how do you use one of these things? :confused:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

D1omedes wrote:Uh oh, there's no pamphlet with the product? Um, I hate to sound like the village idiot but how do you use one of these things? :confused:
Take a number and get in line, as of now I have dibs on that title where this tool is concerned. ;) :D

In fairness, given that this was a test, sinking too much time and effort into literature might have been foolish. On the other hand, a photo or two on the online catalog page, or links to such photos from it, would either assure us we're doing it right, or help us see how to.
Paul
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I am trying to figure out whether I need a really bright light, a magnifying glass, new specs, or all three. :D
unit

Post by unit »

JNewell wrote:I am trying to figure out whether I need a really bright light, a magnifying glass, new specs, or all three. :D
Yep it is all three plus an eye patch for your non-dominant eye. Otherwise you go cross-eyed.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

JNewell wrote:I am trying to figure out whether I need a really bright light, a magnifying glass, new specs, or all three. :D
Yes all three would help.
I'm also not quite sure if I'm using it right , and if all else fails it makes nice Ipod jewerly.

The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
sal

Post by sal »

AAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

I'm a designer. I eat feedback.

sal