Buying from spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
moonberrys

Buying from spyderco

Post by moonberrys »

Does anyone buy directly from spyderco? Their prices are so much higher than retailers, I was just wondering if any of you buy direct. Are there any percs for doing so?
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Spyderco, just like hundreds of other product manufactures charge MSRP or Manufactures Suggested Retail Price.

You will see, every knife company main website sale prices are at MSRP while internet knife stores all charge around the same price which is usually half of the MSRP.

Sometimes you will come across a website that still sells MSRP and chooses not to sell prices like other competitors. Unusually(not always) these are brick and motor stores with no online store.

As far as perks... the only one I see is that most of the things like stickers, hats, display cases and many of the accessories are sold through sypderco.com.
Also sometimes spyderco comes out with a knife that is only sold through the SFO(spyderco factory outlet)which is just buying from sypderco.com
An example of somethings only sold though the SFO are the Swick series knife, the new edge angle guide and a few others.

Hope this helped.

**this is a great explation:**
Under earlier U.S. state Fair Trade statutes, the manufacturer was able to impose a fixed price for items. These fixed prices could offer some price protection to small merchants in competition against larger retail organizations. These were determined to be in restraint of free trade. However, some manufacturers have adopted MSRP — a price at which the item is expected to sell. This may be unrealistically high, opening the market to "deep discounters" who are able to sell products substantially below the MSRP while still making a profit. Recent trends have been for manufacturers to set the MSRP closer to the "street price" — the price at which items actually sell in a free market."
moonberrys

Post by moonberrys »

Tight man, thanks!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've done it quite a few times. Not so much for knives, although I've bought a few when there no other option and they always toss something "interesting" in the carton. But most of my purchases from them have been things dealers don't normally stock, like the knife stands, zipper pouches, and stickers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think it's fair to say that Spyderco's SFO cannot be seen to compete with their distributor/trader network so prices are set deliberately high - an illustration of the current MSRP. However, the SFO sells some things that are not available in other online stores (merchandising and test runs of unusual products, like the edge-guide) and SFO is used to sell things like Forum knives, which the main trader network doesn't usually sell.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I bought a Mule directly from Spyderco.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Same here, I bought a couple Mules from the SFO.
And they have sales sometimes, I remember buying a D2 Para for $99 a while back.
Some models like the Forum knives are also sold only on their site.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

SFO is cheaper for walk-ins than online. I was blessed to walk in a couple weeks ago and buy a Para 2. Wonderful knife!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I buy Spyderco knives that are in production directly from Spyderco. I go to other distributors for those Spyderco knives that are available exclusively from them or that are no longer produced.

Personally, I prefer going direct to the manufacturer for their products because I know I'm getting the actual item that's new in the box with no middleman handling them. I also like the idea of my payment going straight to the person that produced the knife.