Has anyone ran across fake C 01 Workers?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
The Mastiff

Has anyone ran across fake C 01 Workers?

Post by The Mastiff »

At a recent gun & knife show I ran across a dealer I've known for decades that had a cache of Workers. They were all PE, 3 screw clips packed in the old blue box and foil. None of them had any stickers/writing on the boxes of any kind.

No steel stamp . Just "Spyderco -USA" on the port side, and "Seki-Japan on the Starboard ( Right, clip side)

It seems like I heard the dealer state they had lefty models too, though I didn't see them.

The clip states "US and Foreign Patents".

The size is correct, edge ground decently. The frame is thicker on the right side, and they are almost sharp enough to slice especially on the thinner, left side.

The Blade is not ground very well, with some mistakes. Not at all the precision or smoothness of my anniversary edition model with presentation box, and aluminium grips.

I'll try to get my son's camera to get pictures up. I've never seen these blue boxes unmarked, never ran into fresh caches of NOS workers before. Come to think of it I haven't seen but 1 worker in the last 15 years, now there's a box of them. It just had me suspicious. That, and the lower than I'm used to quality control.

Needless to say I had to buy one as I love these old workers.

Thanks, Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Post by 224477 »

Haven`t seen a fake worker yet. What you describe sounds more like old stock for me.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
rycen

Post by rycen »

Sound legit to me. Some of the older labels were thin plastic. When those aged and the glue failed they would fall off with little to no evidence.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Joe, I sold my 2 screw worker a while back, but what you're saying all sounds consistent with the Workers from the early 80's. Clip side thicker than the other side, no bevel and fairly crisp edges on the slabs, markings on clip and blade, all jibe, as do the blue box and foil and I'd agree with Rycen about the label. All that, and the fact it would be an odd knife to fake, make me inclined to think they're real.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks everybody. It's going to get used like it's real. It was more the box and foil than the knife that made me think it was real when I saw them . Those details would be tougher to fake than the knife itself.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"