Where do you buy your purple Loctite?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jujigatame

Where do you buy your purple Loctite?

Post by jujigatame »

I'm looking to pick up some purple Loctite (222) and all of my local hardware stores only stock the blue, red, and black. I'd like to be able to get it locally rather than order online and have it shipped so I'm curious what other brick and mortar places might carry it. Anyone seen it at autoparts stores, electrical supply shops, or anything like that?
~ Nate
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't say I ever heard of purple Loctite. How does it differ from the other three? Or is it something other than a thread locker?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

It is a thread locker, lower strength than the blue and for use on small diameter screws.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Threadloc ... B0002KKTT0
~ Nate
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You could try auto parts stores, gun shops, tackle shops, R/C and model railroad hobby shops.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Take this for what you will, but i've always heard of people using white out for small screws...
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I've used super glue, works fine by the way.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Was impossible to find locally. Ordered it from Brownells.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

JNewell wrote:Was impossible to find locally. Ordered it from Brownells.
That's what I'm starting to discover. Called half a dozen auto part stores in my area, both national chains and local shops, but none had purple. Swung by Sears and they had no threadlocker of any kind. Not much around me for gun or tackle shops. Anyone suppose that motorcycle shops might have some? There's a good sized Harley dealership two towns over, think I'll call them tomorrow.

I have gotten suggestions of other substances such as the white out and also nail polish, but if at all possible I prefer using something purpose made for screws.
~ Nate
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I've never used nail polish on anything larger than eyeglass screws. :D Out of curiosity, what are you securing (size, type, use of fastener)? Blue/242 might work just fine.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Funny you mention eyeglasses because the thing that got me looking for the 222 was a screw that kept loosening on my ancient Oakleys. (Had 'em for almost 15 years and just now the screw doesn't want to stay put :rolleyes: ;) ) It's very small, so I didn't want to try the blue for fear that even a teeny tiny amount would be too strong if I ever needed to adjust or remove the screw. I figured the 222 might work and it wouldn't hurt to have some around for knife related uses should the need arise.
~ Nate
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

That's the sort of issue that warrants use of the purple, IMO. Small diameter fasteners and especially fasteners with heads that may easily strip out or that present other tool risks. I actually have at least one unopened tube of the purple. Dunno where in the Commonwealth you live...
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

jujigatame wrote:Funny you mention eyeglasses because the thing that got me looking for the 222 was a screw that kept loosening on my ancient Oakleys. (Had 'em for almost 15 years and just now the screw doesn't want to stay put :rolleyes: ;) ) It's very small, so I didn't want to try the blue for fear that even a teeny tiny amount would be too strong if I ever needed to adjust or remove the screw. I figured the 222 might work and it wouldn't hurt to have some around for knife related uses should the need arise.
Try teflon tape, wrap a little around the threads and it'll stay in, and there's no bond to break when you need to take it out.
Stony

Post by Stony »

I use the blue, and never had a problem with removing little screws when it is applied. Little dab will do ya. :D
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

JNewell wrote:That's the sort of issue that warrants use of the purple, IMO. Small diameter fasteners and especially fasteners with heads that may easily strip out or that present other tool risks. I actually have at least one unopened tube of the purple. Dunno where in the Commonwealth you live...
I'm in Norton.

Still haven't given up the quest of finding it somewhere locally. A friend of a friend has a machine shop and said he'd check to see if they had any or could get some. If all else fails I'd be glad to pay you for an extra tube plus the postage if you were willing to part with it.
~ Nate
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Have you tried hobby stores? Maybe a place the sells radio control cars and parts would carry something like that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

No luck on the hobby store front so far.
~ Nate
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jujigatame wrote:I'm in Norton.

Still haven't given up the quest of finding it somewhere locally. A friend of a friend has a machine shop and said he'd check to see if they had any or could get some. If all else fails I'd be glad to pay you for an extra tube plus the postage if you were willing to part with it.
I have two unopened small bottles. I'm in the Waltham area. Let me know. I keep meaning to mail them back for a refund but haven't gotten around to it.
mrojohn

Post by mrojohn »

you can find Loctite 222 at an industrial distributor such as Grainger or Fastenal. Low strength for small screws. See useloctite.com
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

shoulda just mixed red and blue
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
setldown

Post by setldown »

Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.