Best place to buy Spyderco and must haves?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grisle

Best place to buy Spyderco and must haves?

Post by Grisle »

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forums and I had a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out with. I'm just starting a Spyderco collection. Right now I've only got the Tenacious and a Ronin fixed blade. First I'd like to know the best place to purchase Spyderco online. Second I'd like some recommendations on some of Spyderco's must haves. I'm interested in the Military, Sage, Persian, Terzoula, Manix, and Captain. I'm trying to keep my next purchase between $50-$100. My knives are mainly used as collectibles with some light use. I don't need it to be heavy duty, but as it's a collectible I'm not against any type of knife. I appreciate any and all help that is given. Thanks.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Welcome to the forum
And Congrats on Ronin. Great knife and not easy to find.
Regarding best place to buy:
1.for discontinued knives -watch e-bay and "For sale" sections on bladesforum, knifeforoms, candlepower forums.
2, For current production, great customer service and good prices at new graham knives, knife center, GP knives, knivesplus. With NGK been my favorite.
Tom Berry (http://spydercovt), who is member of this forum and nicest guy also great service at good prices.
You have a good list, but looks like you forgot Caly 3.5
good luck with your addiction
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Welcome to the forum. I would add Cutlery Shoppe (http://www.cutleryshoppe.com) to your list. YourCornerStore also has good deals some times.

To your list: UKPK, Endura, Dragonfly, Paramlitary 2 - the list goes on and on...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Grisle

Post by Grisle »

Thanks for the links.

@bh49 - Luckily I bought the Ronin when it was in production a few years ago so I didn't have a hard time ordering it. I was really into Snody's customs for awhile, but I never purchased any. I hadn't realized then that Spyderco's were my favorite then and I've been off of buying knives for awhile.

I am definitely interested in the Caly 3.5, Dragonfly, and the Paramilitary 2. I guess I was hoping to get some help in what to purchase next, but I just realized that we're all Spydie enthusiasts and it might be hard to prioritize the purchases or you might just say "get them all".

I almost got the CF Sage because I like the look, but then I thought maybe I should be getting the military first. I'm having a hard time deciding and I know no one can really help me there, but I'm trying to stay within the $100 this month and I feel like I need a gameplan. I really like the look of the Captain, but it's discontinued and above $100. Part of me wants more of an abnormally shaped folder right now like the Captain, Persian, or the Chokwe. What do you guys think of The Captain? bh49 I know you like The Persian...is it really your favorite Spyderco?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

im a knifecenter guy, they havent let me down yet
Grisle

Post by Grisle »

Yeah Knifecenter seems to be well stocked. After going there I guess I can look into the more accessible Jason Breeden Rescue instead of The Captain. I really like the look of that thick blade, but I love the look of The Persian's handle. What do you guys think of the "S" folder? Too gimmicky? For some reason I like it.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

As a side note I would also like to add Knifeworks to the list, prices might be a hair higher than in some places but the service is top-notch and the stock info is usually up to date.
PLUS they sometimes have limited edition Knifeworks exclusives like the upcoming Ti/G10 RIL Military w/ M4 steel. :)
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I second the recommendation for Knifeworks. Roger has kind of become my Spydie dealer. He is only one state away, and he or one of his gals always seem to have whatever I'm looking for in stock.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, there's no single "best place" and there are quite a few very good ones. That said, my favorite Spyderco dealer is New Graham Knives. For older models, it's pretty much catch as catch can. Do keep in mind that collectors will generally turn up their nose at a knife which is not in "NIB" condition. If you're buying to use, even just a little, I'd suggest sticking to things you are pretty sure you'll like.

The "S" is an interesting knife and quite well made for its price. It's one of those knives folks who normally cringe at the sight of a knife seem to find non-threatening, which can be a plus in at work. On the "down" side, those same cutouts that add visual interest to the blade make it a poor choice for cutting viscous or thick fibrous materials.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Another Knifecenter userhere, they've never let me down and delivery has always been very quick (even delivery to the Great Southern Land!).

As for knives, Caly should be a must have. You might also wish to look at things like Kopas or Kiwis. Of the knives you listed, I've got the Sage, Military and Manix, all of which I use, paticularly the Military. I'd suggest that they really are knives made for hard work, rather than keeping it in a box.

Enjoy
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Country Knives is the place for rarer out of stock Spyderco.

Country knives and all sources listed so far have been good to me.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Best place to buy Spydercos online? Easy, Cutlery Shoppe. Nobody beats Jeff's prices.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Grisle wrote: bh49 I know you like The Persian...is it really your favorite Spyderco?
Absolutely.
I bought my first C83 Persian about four years ago and carry it since than. For a while it was only weekend carry, than I decided that there is no reason why I cannot enjoy this knife every day. I never thought about Persian as abnormally shaped. I think it has classic Mideastern shape.
C83 fits perfectly in my had, it cuts great and it is drop dead gorgeous. I use it to cut cardboard on recycle days, branches, vine on my yard, open boxes. It is always in my pocket. Probably other knives are jealous. I do not use them a lot. Even Caly3 get used much less. It is quite expensive now, but hopefully we will have sprint.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Grisle

Post by Grisle »

Yeah I guess it's not abnormal. Maybe it's just because I haven't seen them if there are, but I think the handle is unique. Country Knives has one for about $170 and there currently are non on eBay...is that about the going rate?
The Deacon wrote:The "S" is an interesting knife and quite well made for its price. It's one of those knives folks who normally cringe at the sight of a knife seem to find non-threatening, which can be a plus in at work.
It's funny you say that cause I've been warehousing for 11 years so I've worked primarily with guys who aren't scared of a knife, but I've just started working a new job where there are more women not from warehousing backgrounds and they've been commenting on how intimidating the Tenacious looks. I'd never really had people cringe at my knives until now and the ironic part is they're all too cheap to go get their own knives so I'm the go to guy when they need to borrow a knife. I was carrying 3 knives at one point...my Tenacious and 2 utility knives which I used a the "guest" knives.

The "S" is funny too me. When I first saw it I thought it was ugly, but very interesting so I stared at it. Then I started getting pulled into it's webs. I think I would love to own it, but part of me wonders if I really like it or if I'm just curious.
telemeister wrote:As for knives, Caly should be a must have. You might also wish to look at things like Kopas or Kiwis.
I do like the Kopa. If it were up to the Kopa vs. the Persian I'd probably go with the Persian right now though.

Thanks again for all the links guys! I'll be checking through these websites now to see what I can get. Why isn't there a trade thread or forum here? No one wants to give up their Spydie's? Haha.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Grisle wrote:Yeah I guess it's not abnormal. Maybe it's just because I haven't seen them if there are, but I think the handle is unique. Country Knives has one for about $170 and there currently are non on eBay...is that about the going rate?
I beleive it is a good price. Usually on secondary market NIB go for over $200.
Grisle wrote: I do like the Kopa. If it were up to the Kopa vs. the Persian I'd probably go with the Persian right now though.
These knives are quite different. Kopa is small gents knife. Both Persians look great, but both can do some serious job.
BTW, time for "good buys" on Persians are gone. Some Kopas still can be found at big discount, but it will not last long either.
Grisle wrote: Thanks again for all the links guys! I'll be checking through these websites now to see what I can get. Why isn't there a trade thread or forum here? No one wants to give up their Spydie's? Haha.
Sale and trade is prohibited on this forum.

JBE

Post by JBE »

Knife-bst.com and the B/S/T forums over at BladeForums.com are good places to trade or find rare and discontinued models.

IMO you can't go wrong adding a Delica to your list.
Jason
Grisle

Post by Grisle »

Ah crap. I took a look at that thread "The Persian Army" and I think the Persian moved to the top of the list. I really like the contrast of the Micarta handle and the stainless bolster. My biggest problem now is affordability. I'm an Amazon Prime user and they've got the CF Caly 3 for $105.49 shipped. I've got a $25 gift certificate there so I could get it for $80.49 shipped, but I don't have anything like the Persian. Really I don't have anything in terms of quality like either of these knives, but I like what one of the guys said in that forum about the Persian...Elegant and Mean.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

May be some hope for here

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... 37&page=19

but it can be long wait.

AJF

Post by AJF »

Let me add Poorfish to the list: http://www.poorfish.com/default.aspx?

Their Spydie selection is limited, but they sometimes have great deals. I just bought a Sage I at $99.99, and added a $1.49 lip balm to get my total over $100. That made me eligible for the SUMMER20 $20 off coupon (thanks, Gollum), and there's free shipping over $75. So, $81.48 shipped for a Sage (and lip balm ;) ).

There C/S also seems good. I have both e-mailed and called them on small matters recently, and they were helpful and responsive.

Andrew
Grisle

Post by Grisle »

I got my Tenacious from Poorfish through Amazon...I didn't realize they had a site. I'll check out the site.

@bh49 - How much did the large Persian retail for? If there's a print run I'd be interested in the larger version. I just emailed a guy on eBay about his Persian that went unsold for $159.

btw...I need to read the rules...is it ok to talk prices on the site?