More Spydie Fakes

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
bohica1998

More Spydie Fakes

Post by bohica1998 »

Well, I was looking for knife cases and happened on this site. In addition to these fakes Spydies, they have knock-offs of Gerber, Kabar, and several other well known brands.

Cricket knock-off
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-265398 ... AID=113559

Fake Byrd - They call this one the Merlin! :eek:
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-265320 ... AID=113559

Ladybug knock-off
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-200241 ... AID=113559

I finally gave up looking to see what else they had after 35 pages! :D
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
jonsidneyb

Post by jonsidneyb »

That is sad. I wish more could be done to stop it without costing the original producers so much time and money.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jonsidneyb wrote:That is sad. I wish more could be done to stop it without costing the original producers so much time and money.
I look at it this way. Disney, who'd sue an 80 year old widow for selling hand made quilts with Mickey Mouse embroidered on them, can't stem the tide of fake Disney DVDs from China. Bill Gate, who has more money than God and who's threatened to sue schools in third world countries for putting a single copy of Windows 3.O on more than one computer ten years after all tech support for it ended, can't stop them from cloning Vista. What chance do companies the size of Spyderco stand.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

I consider a fake spyderco something what would like to make someone think that its the real thing but it is not. An obvious case is the UKPK with right hand only clip mount. Thats a clear counterfeit. Like a 50USD Rolex wannabe. Same for a never made spyderco model with spyderco signs and branding on.

Then we have knock offs, like these above, which are more or less resembling simillar models that spyderco makes, but do not pretend to be a genuine spyderco product.

Is that okey? Or do you see it in a different way?
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

224477 wrote:I consider a fake spyderco something what would like to make someone think that its the real thing but it is not. An obvious case is the UKPK with right hand only clip mount. Thats a clear counterfeit. Like a 50USD Rolex wannabe. Same for a never made spyderco model with spyderco signs and branding on.

Then we have knock offs, like these above, which are more or less resembling simillar models that spyderco makes, but do not pretend to be a genuine spyderco product.

Is that okey? Or do you see it in a different way?
Depends Jano. To me, if it uses a trademarked opener (Spyderhole or Byrd "comet" hole) it's an infringement. If not, it depend on the closeness of the resemblance and the length of time the original has been on the market. Close copy of a knife released last year would bother me more than one with a strong resemblance to a ten or fifteen year old design. The three linked to here don't really bother me much at all, although the opening hole on the "Dragon" is a bit too Byrd like for comfort. I'd call that "wrong" but definitely not to the degree the fake Guntings and UKPKs are wrong. Not even close.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Yeah, if a private knife-maker decided to make a knife with a hole then I'd say that's less of a problem but when a company basically copies someone else's design and trademarks and then sells it for a profit then I'd say it needs stopping. As Paul said, it's not perhaps as bad as when people make blatant fakes, but I still think they shouldn't do it. It's all about the intent to profit from something that isn't their's. Also, these knock-offs look like cheep Chinese rubbish so it doesn't help Spyderco's reputation if their trademarks are associated with poor quality knives - even ones that aren't theirs.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)

Post by 224477 »

I see your point guys. As for me, I tend to look close at things, means when someone would offer me something being pretended as as 'spyderco' for a tempting price, I would check. Deac you know I spotted the modified original CF stretch my buddy wanted to buy, which was most probably a masked second. I know its a little different thing, I simply want to say I train my eyes for the details. And I try to know what the other side has on the market, thats why I always asked Taz to create this subforum for counterfeits, so the average John Doe, non-afi, can simply stop by and check /or ask/. Thats the little of help we can offer.
The counterfeit market is a huge underground econony actually, and all we can make is to help educate people, so they can decide, whether they want to have the real thing, or pretend to have one.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."