Important Clarifications

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Important Clarifications

Post by TazKristi »

Hey ya'll. Reading through a few different threads this morning and a couple of things popped out at me that I think need to be clarified.

1st - Disassembling a Spyderco voids the warranty. Period. There was a question about this being a "myth". It is not a myth. It does not matter if you don't break anything when you do it. If we can tell that a knife has been disassembled (whether it's a FrankenSpyder or not) the warranty is technically void. We manufacture knives with all screw construction not because we want you to take them apart. We do so, so our Crew can take them apart for maintenance and repair. I'm sure there might be some other questions, but bottom line, if you take your knife apart, the warranty is void.

Every item that is sent in to W&R is evaluated individually and on a case by case basis. Every situation is different. We will always handle W&R issues in a fair and proper way. But it's important to understand the warranty as we state it, not as it's interpreted by others. There are a lot of great, knowledgeable, helpful people on our Forum. However, they cannot make a judgment on a Warranty issue. Only we can and we can only do that by having the knife in question in our hands.

2nd - Lightweight Manix2 Country of Origin is the U.S.A. The Lightweight Manix2 will be made using FRCP, Fiberglass Reinforced Co-Polymer. Not FRN. It will be produced right here in Golden, CO by our amazing Crew.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Good info to know. Thanks Kristi.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As one of the parties guilty of perpetuating the notion noted in #1, :o please accept my apologies. Won't happen again.

As someone who has to deal with computer related, knife related, bureaucracy related, and a few more "colorful" acronyms, I can relate to the too many acronyms syndrome. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thanks for taking the time to explain the warranty to all of us. This will definitely clear up a lot of the confusion.

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but are there any significant differences between FRN and FRCP?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Thanks for the clarification. :)
THG

Post by THG »

May I ask, then, for what reason is the Delica/Endura repair kit sold to the general public by Spyderco?
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

FRCP? sounds new and exciting :D
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

THG wrote:May I ask, then, for what reason is the Delica/Endura repair kit sold to the general public by Spyderco?
The repair kit is a very effective turn-key solution for end users who are either not in a position to easily return knives for warranty repair (overseas customers and deployed military personnel) and for people who knowlingly choose to void their warranty because they prefer to repair their knives themselves.

The average user in the continental U.S. is usually better served by not tinkering with his knife and returning it through the established warranty repair process on the rare occasions that something goes wrong. Folks in other locations and circumstances often need other options. Those kits are a practical way to meet those needs.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

D1omedes wrote:Thanks for taking the time to explain the warranty to all of us. This will definitely clear up a lot of the confusion.

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but are there any significant differences between FRN and FRCP?
The most significant difference is that there is no Nylon in FRCP.

Hope that helps.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Hey Kristi, can you clarify something else....

Will there be a forum knife this year ;)
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Thanks for clearing those things up Kristi.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

TazKristi wrote:Hey ya'll. Reading through a few different threads this morning and a couple of things popped out at me that I think need to be clarified.

1st - Disassembling a Spyderco voids the warranty. Period. There was a question about this being a "myth". It is not a myth. It does not matter if you don't break anything when you do it. If we can tell that a knife has been disassembled (whether it's a FrankenSpyder or not) the warranty is technically void. We manufacture knives with all screw construction not because we want you to take them apart. We do so, so our Crew can take them apart for maintenance and repair. I'm sure there might be some other questions, but bottom line, if you take your knife apart, the warranty is void.

Every item that is sent in to W&R is evaluated individually and on a case by case basis. Every situation is different. We will always handle W&R issues in a fair and proper way. But it's important to understand the warranty as we state it, not as it's interpreted by others. There are a lot of great, knowledgeable, helpful people on our Forum. However, they cannot make a judgment on a Warranty issue. Only we can and we can only do that by having the knife in question in our hands.
This is not a good Warranty I would expect from Spyderco really.

If I have to clean and oil my knife after using in dirt or sand or some sticky or salty liquid- do I have to send it to Spyderco in Colorado and wait for few weeks?

I remember some example of W&R issue handled and free repair was denied because in the past different knife was disassembled.

I am not sure how much money Spyderco save this way, but it defenetly lost a lot of "great customer service" credit this way.

Thanks, Vassili.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

This is good to know.

I have a suggestion... how about a section on spyderco.com about knife maintenance? I couldn't find something like this by glancing through the site quickly so maybe I missed it, but you could have cleaning suggestions, lubrication instructions, and emphasize the warranty.
yuldeli

Post by yuldeli »

This is not a good Warranty I would expect from Spyderco really.

If I have to clean and oil my knife after using in dirt or sand or some sticky or salty liquid- do I have to send it to Spyderco in Colorado and wait for few weeks?
With all due respect, I disagree. As Mr. Janich stated in his post, there is nothing preventing anybody from effecting repairs to their knife, however they should do so with the understanding that they are voiding their warranty.

It is entirely reasonable that a manufacturer, any manufacturer, would stipulate that end users not disassemble their products in order for the warranty to remain in effect. Warranties exist to protect end users from defects, if a product is disassembled it becomes difficult for the manufacturer to ascertain whether the issue was caused in manufacturing or by "the repair". I don't think this would be as big a deal if we were talking about a stereo or computer.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Thanks for the information. In order to have "disassembled" my spydies, do I have to actually take it apart? Meaning if I mess with screws etc and make adjustments without taking the scales off or anything, is it still covered under the warranty?
Slick

Post by Slick »

The Mentaculous wrote:Thanks for the information. In order to have "disassembled" my spydies, do I have to actually take it apart? Meaning if I mess with screws etc and make adjustments without taking the scales off or anything, is it still covered under the warranty?

I would assume the "Every item that is sent in to W&R is evaluated individually and on a case by case basis" would allow for reasonable knife care tasks.
Not really all that slick ;)
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

yuldeli wrote:With all due respect, I disagree. As Mr. Janich stated in his post, there is nothing preventing anybody from effecting repairs to their knife, however they should do so with the understanding that they are voiding their warranty.

It is entirely reasonable that a manufacturer, any manufacturer, would stipulate that end users not disassemble their products in order for the warranty to remain in effect. Warranties exist to protect end users from defects, if a product is disassembled it becomes difficult for the manufacturer to ascertain whether the issue was caused in manufacturing or by "the repair". I don't think this would be as big a deal if we were talking about a stereo or computer.
Kershaw seems to be OK with customer repairing their knives - they send you replacmet torsion bar expecting you to replace it yourself.

Again this is not best warranty I ever see.

Thanks, Vassili.
THG

Post by THG »

nozh2002 wrote:Kershaw seems to be OK with customer repairing their knives - they send you replacmet torsion bar expecting you to replace it yourself.
Are you absolutely sure that it doesn't void the Kershaw warranty, though? Spyderco sells the repair kit for the D4 and E4, but self-service does void the warranty (as Mr. Janich explained, and as I confirmed for myself by reading the back sheet of the repair kit.)

I don't expect any company to not consider a warranty void if the product was taken apart. If you F with your own car, you void your warranty. If you F with your computer, you void your warranty. It makes sense.

If it's something minor, I guess it's usually or sometimes overlooked, both by Spyderco and I'm guessing other companies, but you can't seriously expect them to have a do-what-you-want-without-penalty-to-the-warranty type of warranty.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

THG wrote:Are you absolutely sure that it doesn't void the Kershaw warranty, though? Spyderco sells the repair kit for the D4 and E4, but self-service does void the warranty (as Mr. Janich explained, and as I confirmed for myself by reading the back sheet of the repair kit.)

I don't expect any company to not consider a warranty void if the product was taken apart. If you F with your own car, you void your warranty. If you F with your computer, you void your warranty. It makes sense.

If it's something minor, I guess it's usually or sometimes overlooked, both by Spyderco and I'm guessing other companies, but you can't seriously expect them to have a do-what-you-want-without-penalty-to-the-warranty type of warranty.
Um no you don't, you only void your car warranty if you modify it, and that only void warranty on that particular system, not the entire warranty. Not 100% sure about computers but some come with instructions on how to upgrade hardware.

As for kershaw, requesting parts is a section of their CS website, and the few times I did it there was never any mention of voiding warranty.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I don't want to twist what TazKristi's said but I picked out these 2 phrases:
"If we can tell that a knife has been disassembled (whether it's a FrankenSpyder or not) the warranty is technically void."
"Every item that is sent in to W&R is evaluated individually and on a case by case basis. Every situation is different. We will always handle W&R issues in a fair and proper way."
A warranty is pretty much a promise by the company to replace or repair an item come what may but the company has to be released from the promise if the customer might have done something to the knife that damages it. But I wouldn't expect a great customer-oriented company like Spyderco to wash their hands of any problem if they spot a slight burr on a screw and in most cases people only do very sympathetic things (like cleaning) that would leave no marks or signs that it had ever happened.

So I would expect that even if a customer takes a knife apart for cleaning and doesn't obviously damage it while putting it back together ... but months later finds that the back-spring has broken then Spyderco would still look after that customer. That may or may not be under the warranty - it might just be on 'goodwill'.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)