H-1 Spyderhawk, a great gardening knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacTech

H-1 Spyderhawk, a great gardening knife

Post by MacTech »

My veggie garden is starting to produce edibles, and I've found that the Spyderhawk makes a stellar garden knife, my plants are very closely growing, creating a near impenetrable thicket of greenery, hiding Sunsugar cherry tomatoes, Beefsteaks, a Pineapple tomato, green beans, broccoli, and cucumbers, here's not much room to reach in and cut the veggies off their stems, so the curve of the Spyderhawk's hawkbill blade gives me the precision I need to sever just the stem I want, without disturbing other plants.

when I have two softball-sized Pineapple tomatoes growing right next to each other, one ripe and ready, one just blushing, I want to make sure I sever the correct stem, place the tip of the SH under the stem, and pull slowly up, a quick, surgical cut results, and the tomato I want comes free of the vine without disturbing the other

Same thing for the cucumbers buried under their thick, matted canopy, with the SH I can be sure of cutting only the stem of the cucumber I want

the broccoli, the SH sails through the thick fibrous stalk like butter

and when I get back to the house and want to cut up some fresh veggies for a snack, the SH comes out again, the downturned point allowing a precise coring of where the stem attaches to the tomato, it's Scary Sharp blade cuts through the skin of the tomato without squishing it, and the curve of the Hawkbill blade conforms quite efficiently to the curve of the tomato

Grab a cuke from the fridge, and I'm able to cut ultrafine slivers of cucumber so thin you can see through them, once again, the curve of the blade conforms to the curve of the cuke, making whisper thin, gossamer cucumber slices possible, and the thinner the slice, the more readily it absorbs basalmic vinegar...

So, don't let anyone tell you a hawkbill is useless for food prep, it's actually quite useful, and the Spyderhawk is just the right size, and with it's H-1 steel, immune to tomato acids, and other fruit and veggie juices, just rinse it off, wipe it down, and back in the pocket it goes
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Nice post. I carry a Spyderhawk Salt daily. Great tool!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Cool post - I love the hawkbills! Is your knife PE or SE?

- best wishes, Jazz.
unit

Post by unit »

I have got to try a hawkbill.

Nice post. Thanks for the story. I love knives and food prep!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

It's a SE, I need to add a PE to the collection as well
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

I bought a used H1 Spyderhawk off a member of another forum a couple of weeks ago. I have a fence that some morning glories had taken over. Enter the spyderhawk. It went through them like green apple through a goose. The only complaint I have of the knife was it's size, I like big folders and this is just about at the upper limit. So, I stopped by Grand Prarie Knives Saturday and picked up a Tazman. I'll have to give them both a try at food prep.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MacTech wrote:It's a SE, I need to add a PE to the collection as well
Thank you for info. I am thinking for a while to add Spyderhawk or Tasman for my yard need for a while, mostly to remove vines from trees and bushes. It sound like I need SE. What are benefits of PE?
dewildeman wrote:I bought a used H1 Spyderhawk off a member of another forum a couple of weeks ago. I have a fence that some morning glories had taken over. Enter the spyderhawk. It went through them like green apple through a goose. The only complaint I have of the knife was it's size, I like big folders and this is just about at the upper limit. So, I stopped by Grand Prarie Knives Saturday and picked up a Tazman. I'll have to give them both a try at food prep.
What kind of food preparation are you planning to do with hawkbills?

I never thought about use of hawkbills for food preparation
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian