Opinions on best Spyderco as only knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

I will admit it is a hard decision between the Millie and the BM 940 when I can get them for the same price.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com wrote:Yes, that is a beauty and I would love to have one..Maybe one day...
Hopefully,
We will get sprint Persian, which will be close to original C83.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mussolini

Post by mussolini »

Manix 2
Slick

Poll now

Post by Slick »

We need a poll here and now. Only current knives.
Not really all that slick ;)
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Well, I called as soon as Knifeworks opened and told Roger I might want to change. He said they got in early and my order had already been shipped. Back to square one-do I need another knife and, if so, which of all the fine ones mentioned here. I will not expect any more advice, just will wait and see how my money looks in next couple weeks. Thanks for all the kind advice. Heck, I still haven't gotten anything to sharpen with yet but that can wait a while as I do not hard use one.
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

I think your Delica will be a fine one to start with and was going to be my suggestion. Between the Millie and the BM 940, if you don't like big knives, get the 940, if you prefer big knives, get the Millie or Para.

Of course later on you'll want to try a Native, and a UKPK, and a Kopa or Kiwi and then........... :D
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com wrote:Well, I called as soon as Knifeworks opened and told Roger I might want to change. He said they got in early and my order had already been shipped. Back to square one-do I need another knife and, if so, which of all the fine ones mentioned here. I will not expect any more advice, just will wait and see how my money looks in next couple weeks. Thanks for all the kind advice. Heck, I still haven't gotten anything to sharpen with yet but that can wait a while as I do not hard use one.
Im afraid, that if you keep hanging out here you wont 'need' any advice. Just reading about other peoples' knives what they like and dont like and how they mod them will keep your wallet continuously challenged...its all good, though!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

I agree that it is all good. This is a good forum and I have been on many kinds. Mostly photography, though. Yes, I watch what appeals to others and have a general opinion already as to what I want personally. Many factors enter into knife buying and that says it all I guess. Personally I like the 940 myself and it may be my next. Aesthetics mean more to me than utility. Unless I win a lottery:-))
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Out of the current lineup, I think Manix 2 looks the best :)

Personally, I can't stand how the handle of mili looks - the blade on that knife is wicked cool though :D
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Interestingly enough, and I have said this before, the Manix 2 has always been my favorite, even when I was on bladeforum for a while. I may just go ahead and buy one but the 940 LOOKS so good to me. Aesthetics play a large part in my decisions. I said a couple hours ago that a new camera has come into play with my decisions and another knife may be out. I have had a change of heart there. Too much money.And the camera forums have become boring after 8 or 9 years.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Now you'll get a chance to combine your interests, take photos of your knife (and future knives)!

Spyderco had a photo contest here where members had a chance to submit their photo to be included on a forthcoming calendar, we can always hope they may do a similar offer sometime in the future :) .

But if you hang around here, you WILL be adding to your knife collection, it's a contagious disease :D I think I've added around 55 blades within the past year, not counting the one that is on pre-order/backorder! And you know EVERYONE has to have a Ladybug or 3! :)
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Hands down it would have to be the Stretch.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

I try not to stay confused, but the variety, and so many people with different ideas, makes me dizzy:-)) Why do you prefer the Stretch as opposed to any other?
ace

Post by ace »

get a persistence--best $35 you ever spent
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I would have to go with a Gayle Bradley. It seems to cover all the bases.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ace wrote:get a persistence--best $35 you ever spent
He has a persistence already. :D
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Amazon has the Stretch ZDP-189 Blue for $94.41.. Great price and their return policy is superb.
spyd

Post by spyd »

manix 2 FFG
bmar68

Post by bmar68 »

rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com wrote:I will admit it is a hard decision between the Millie and the BM 940 when I can get them for the same price.
I've got both, and they are pretty different designs! I like both, but carry and use them for different purposes.

The 940 will certainly ride easier, lighter and be much smaller in the pocket. If you are going to carry a lot and use little, then the 940 would certainly seem the better choice to me. If you work in an office environment the 940 would likely raise alot less eyebrows than the big Mil... BTW: You may also want to check out the 943, I actually prefer its blade shape to the reverse tanto of the 940.

The Mil would be a great knife if you use it a lot, or are needing a more heavy duty knife. But I gotta admit I don't carry it to "the office" that much, its just a bit large, and scares the peasants.... Also, BTW, a better Benchmade for direct comparison to the Spydie Military might be the BM 710 or the 740 Dejavoo? Both of those are great knives as well, and have close to 4 inch blades like the Mil.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

No, I am just trying to decide on a knife that will be much different than the Delica 4.