Opinions on best Spyderco as only knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

My Sage gets a lot pf pocket time. Really a well made knife!
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Looking for an all around knife as an only knife is quite a legitimate concern especially for non-afis. I would have been quite satisfied with an E4 before I ever found out that there was a whole new horizon out here.

As for rkhndjr he probably still doesn't realize that he's on the slippery slope now. BTW, welcome to spyderco forums knife bro rkhndjr.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Looking for an all around knife as an only knife is quite a legitimate concern especially for non-afis. I would have been quite satisfied with an E4 before I ever found out that there was a whole new horizon out here.
A very slippery slope I am finding, but a wonderful ride.

As for rkhndjr he probably still doesn't realize that he's on the slippery slope now. BTW, welcome to spyderco forums knife bro rkhndjr.
Thank you so much. I just found this forum last night and love it already.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I don't think it's silly either. You could apply the same thing to vehicles, but most people only have 1 car even though it would be more ideal to have three or four. I would say the Delica, you can't go wrong with that knife.
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

I would recommend the manix 2
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Im going with my PPT. I like the blade length, steel and handles. Plus, I like th cool look. It is a bit heavier than I might like, but that is what I would pick.

Having said all that, I agree with Deacon. I need more than one knife to fit different needs - and to date, I have 30+ different needs! :D :p
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

I think the one thing at least applies to wives! I only need one!

However, I would have to second the Stretch 2.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Sage III. What, you say it doesn't exist yet? It will.
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

dorfinator wrote:I think the one thing at least applies to wives! I only need one!
Have you tried having several, mate? :D

Ok, back to the topic at hand. If I were to limit myself to a single Spyderco it would be a model with a flat ground blade and G-10 or carbon fibre handle. I feel that FFG Spydies get the most out of quality steels like S30V and VG-10, and while I've got nothing against FRN I think G-10 and carbon fibre are nicer if you're only going to have the one knife.

The particular model will depend on your personal needs, your local laws and your budget. It's hard to suggest a knife for another person without knowing these things. For pure versatility I'd go with something medium sized, like a Paramilitary (or the newer Paramilitary 2). It has a decent blade length, great lock, steel (S30V) and ergonomics.

My personal favourite Spyderco folding knife of all times is the Mini Manix, but it's been discontinued for a while (you can still find them on eBay and different knife forums).
carrot

Post by carrot »

It depends on what your perceived needs are. For me, it comes down the the Military or the Paramilitary 2 (if I end up liking it as much as I think I will), or if I'm looking for a high performance slicer maybe the Caly3 CF or the Stretch 2 (in any variation), or if I'm looking for a great all-around small urban carry knife like the Rookie.

If you really can only have one knife and you want to use it for everything from urban carry to camping to backpacking to breaking down boxes and cutting ropes, something from the Military family (Para & Millie) would be my top choice. Manix 2 if you perceive the Military family to not be beefy enough, but trust me, they can handle "it."
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

davibocce wrote:And for this one spydie, I would pick one of the colorful FRN FFG Endura 4s. If it's too long for you, a FFG Delica 4 instead.
Me too! I got two Enduras One G10 FFG and one FRN Spyderedge-both foliage green.Best selling Spydercos of all time for a reason.Manix 2 would be my second choice.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LowTEC wrote:An even more similar question would be like "If you only can buy one screw driver, which 1 will you get"
I'd get one with interchangeable bits ;)

I haven't handled enough Spydies to really have much of an opinion here, and even though we've covered the fact that one knife being perfect for everything is asking a lot...if we just assume general EDC duty, i would say you can't go wrong with a Delica. Granted i like my Caly 3 a lot more, it was also twice the price.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Military or Stretch
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2cha

Post by 2cha »

carrot wrote:It depends on what your perceived needs are.
At a minimum, these other factors need also be considered:

Do you live in NYC? What are knife laws where you live?

Do you wear a suit, jeans, carhartts, a uniform or khakis to work? Do you live in an apartment or a single home? Do you do repairs in your home or pay another? Do you camp, climb, hunt, boat, fish? Do you like tacticool or traditional materials? Can you sharpen yourself or are you willing to learn?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

mine would be a Delica 4 combo edge, if you dont lose it, it might last a life time.
MrCharlie

Post by MrCharlie »

What is this "only one" you speak of?
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Military, the be-all end-all of Spyderco knives.

Ookami
________
Vision insurance forum
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

TrojanDonkey wrote:Me too! I got two Enduras One G10 FFG and one FRN Spyderedge-both foliage green.Best selling Spydercos of all time for a reason.Manix 2 would be my second choice.
We share the same taste buddy ... look at my sig :D
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ookami wrote:Military, the be-all end-all of Spyderco knives.

Ookami
If it were legal in every state, i'd agree 100%.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

2cha wrote:At a minimum, these other factors need also be considered:

Do you live in NYC? What are knife laws where you live?
north Georgia where all carry knives of their choice:-)) At my age I do not worry about the laws.

Do you wear a suit, jeans, carhartts, a uniform or khakis to work? Do you live in an apartment or a single home? Do you do repairs in your home or pay another? Do you camp, climb, hunt, boat, fish? Do you like tacticool or traditional materials? Can you sharpen yourself or are you willing to learn?
I will cut walking sticks in the woods, whittle, look at and hold the knife, enjoy the aesthetics...