Opinions on best Spyderco as only knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Opinions on best Spyderco as only knife

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

I am curious what others think would be the one Spyderco they would buy, all things considered. Since I am in the market I will rule out fancy Ti knives. Thanks for any suggestions.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

My vote is for the Salt 1. It's inexpensive, fairly easy to sharpen, and 100% rustproof! A complete no-brainer.
kawr

Post by kawr »

Stretch 2 would be my vote. One of the most comfortable ergos and amazing cutting performance.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

A FFG Delica for me. Light weight, solid construction, slim design, ergonomic, easy to sharpen and a wicked slicer.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Wow, no consensus yet. Maybe we should just say get anything, you won't go wrong.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I would also suggest the Spyderco Stretch in FRN (VG-10).

Great knife.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

Spyderco makes a lot of great knives. If you're picking just one knife, you have to consider the style (hard use vs. lightweight), the blade length you want, and the lock type. It's tough for us to recommend one particular knife if we don't know what you'll be using it for and what kind of knives you like.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Para 2
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Trust me, it won't be "the one", but will be known as "the one to start it all" :cool:
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

And for this one spydie, I would pick one of the colorful FRN FFG Endura 4s. If it's too long for you, a FFG Delica 4 instead.
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

If I had to pick a single knife? Probably a Street Beat. Legal in most places, easy to maintain, fantastic ergos, and I could use it for just about any job you could reasonably expect an EDC to do.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome rkhndjr :) You're making a good choice.

I too would agree that a FFG Delica or Endura would be a great place to start. You get a lot of quality knife for your money. VG-10 is terrific steel. Skeletonized liners, feels great in the hand, and slices like crazy.

Enjoy your journey :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

One single Spyderco? Stretch or Centofante 3, maybe a Para.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sorry, I've never understood this "if you could have only one" business. What coat or jacket would you buy if you could have only one? What hat? What pot or pan? What spoon? What saw? Beginning to see how silly the question is?

Knives are purpose driven tools. Some are more specialized than others, but all are specialized to some degree. Given the diverse collection of tasks even a computer potato like me uses them for in the course of a week, expecting any one of them to do all things reasonably well is irrational.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

^, What Deacon said, but if you've only got the money to buy one right now, I would start with a Delica.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

The Deacon wrote:Sorry, I've never understood this "if you could have only one" business. What coat or jacket would you buy if you could have only one? What hat? What pot or pan? What spoon? What saw? Beginning to see how silly the question is?

Knives are purpose driven tools. Some are more specialized than others, but all are specialized to some degree. Given the diverse collection of tasks even a computer potato like me uses them for in the course of a week, expecting any one of them to do all things reasonably well is irrational.
An even more similar question would be like "If you only can buy one screw driver, which 1 will you get"
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It's not a "silly" question at all, and a Delica is a great all around knife, especially if one is all you want or can afford.

- best wishes, Jazz.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

Thanks to all. I was surprised though that no one mentioned a Manix 2 or a military. Delica will probably be my choice.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I don't know if I could pick just one.

If I had to it would be the Caly III. I think that's the best knife they ever made, for me anyway.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Splice

Post by Splice »

If I had to only have one of my spydercos, it would be my Sage 1. Size, blade shape, fit and finish, deep carry pocket clip, FFG, amazingly smooth action, no blade play... it's a perfect 10. I also have a Stretch 2 in VG-10; it would be second on my list. The only thing that I'm not jazzed about on it is that if I thumb flick it too hard it won't lock (it's going too fast for the lock bar to set in, and instead if pops back to an almost open position). Aside from that the blade shape and the handles are utterly astounding.