Sharpmaker Tip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Sharpmaker Tip

Post by catamount »

It is VERY important to make sure that you are holding the blade truly perpendicular to the base. If you seem to be getting nowhere, I have found that tilting the blade inward, slightly past what you perceive as perpendicular, can make all the difference.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Using a black marker on the edge will allow you to visually verify whether you're getting the edge or not, similar to the use of machinst's dye.
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

JNewell wrote:Using a black marker on the edge will allow you to visually verify whether you're getting the edge or not, similar to the use of machinst's dye.
I'm fairly new to carrying and collecting knives and new to the Sharpmaker too. So the black marker on the edge has really helped me in developing the correct technique in ensuring I get the edge correct.
catamount

Post by catamount »

The marker trick works well, but it is a pain to clean up afterwards. With VG-10 (and other relatively easy to sharpen steels), if it doesn't get sharper fairly quickly, then you are not hitting the edge.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
tac

Post by tac »

catamount wrote:The marker trick works well, but it is a pain to clean up afterwards. With VG-10 (and other relatively easy to sharpen steels), if it doesn't get sharper fairly quickly, then you are not hitting the edge.
Acetone takes the marker right off the blade. No pain at all (unless you cut your finger). :)
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yep - I was going to say that if it doesn't come off right away you're not using the right solvent. Nail polish remover is mostly acetone (often with various scents, etc. added...oh well...)
nevermind35

Post by nevermind35 »

I've found that liquid butane, or zippo lighter fluid works fantastic for getting permanent maker or other sticky residue off your blade.
Current Spydercos: CPM-D2 Para, Mini Manix 80mm, Sage 2.
Waiting on: CPM-M4 Military.

~Ryan
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

I find that putting the SM on a low desk/table so that you can almost stand over top of it while sharpening ensures that you keep the knife in the right place.

The other thing is to "rock" the blade appropriately for the shape of the blade. Often I find it easier to do half the knife at a time.
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Good post!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

gull wing wrote:Good post!
Yes, I've found that I can only get good results standing directly over the Sharpmaker. Others may have better eye/hand coordination?

Two other tips, neither original:

To change the angle, shim the black plastic base.

To obtain alternative grits, rest or secure the alternative media on/to the rods. I've done with with DMT diamond hones and with 3M abrasive papers.