How long until waved knives are illegal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

How long until waved knives are illegal?

Post by Evil D »

Or are they already in some areas?

The reason i ask is because they almost seem more dangerous than switchblades if you think about it.

Here's a quick story....there's a kid at work who's a bit of an idiot. The other day he's in the break room with a cheap butterfly knife flipping it around looking stupid talking about cutting someone up. I laughed and told him his little flippy moves would only get him stabbed when it came time for action and he called me out on it. So i told him, here's my knife clipped on my pocket....i'll bet anything you want that i can have mine out and opened before you get the butterfly knife out of your pocket at all. He laughed and said because his butterfly could be flipped open that he'd have the upper hand, but he didn't know i had the zip tie on my Delica..lol.

Anyways it was like a wild west gunfight. We both stood there and this other girl said "GO" and i snapped my D4 out and had it pointing at him before his hand even got into his pocket let alone getting his knife out. He was pretty shocked and we all kind of laughed about it, but really it got me thinking about just how long will it take for police and the powers to be to catch on to this, or have they already? Even if he had a switchblade in his pocket, my waved knife was out of my pocket and ready to use way faster.

Do you think it will stay legal for long or is it already illegal in some areas?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
unit

Post by unit »

Hard to predict what/when each locality will decide. Laws can be funny...

When it comes right down to it, you really do not want to know how some things are made. Sausages and laws are two examples of this.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unfortunately i grew up on a farm and know all too well how sausage and bologna are made :(

Which sucks because i love both. I just try not to think about it lol.

I guess if they're not gonna outlaw assisted open knives then this should fall into the same group.
~David
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

unit wrote: When it comes right down to it, you really do not want to know how some things are made. Sausages and laws are two examples of this.

One of the funnier posts I have read in a while. Thank you kind sir.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

nick.gomes

Post by nick.gomes »

I was just thinking the same thing about wave knives. Like you said the wave is just about the fastest knife you can have but I don't see how it can be considered illegal except when it comes to blade size. As far as I know all the knife laws I have read have always been about a ballistic, and spring energy to assist the knives that make them illegal. It funny that my D/A microtech and your coworkers butterfly knife should be illegal because they are alot slower than a fix blade or manual knife.

So after reading some of the NC knife laws. Its seams in the spirit of the law if you are going to use a knife to threaten some ones life it doesn't matter what kind of knife you have.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess it's really no faster than a fixed blade coming out of a sheath so if a 3 inch fixed blade is legal then this is no different right?
~David
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Its hard to see where knife laws are currently going. Some states are opening up the laws, the 2nd amendment was just incorporated, while other places crack down harder and harder.

I want to say it depends on where you live.
unit wrote:When it comes right down to it, you really do not want to know how some things are made. Sausages and laws are two examples of this.
I will be quoting you. A lot.
cr123

what's a wave?

Post by cr123 »

hi:

i use the hook to open up a bottle of soda pop. :0)

reading this thread makes me wanna get an endura 4 while i still can. :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

^^ That's what i'm sayin, although illegal doesn't mean they won't still be made...we just might not be allowed to carry them.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

No clue what you're talking about. I got the delica that has a bottle opener built in.

That said, a few Rescue 911 episodes with kids knife-racing might push them into the courts quicker... ;)

Ps: the guy with the balisong was breaking laws every which way possible. Carrying, brandishing, etc. I wouldn't get within witness distance of the moron.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Just go to show how out dated and stupid our knife laws really are.

Its just ridiculous.

You can carry a fixed blade, but not an auto?

You can carry a waved blade, but not a Butterfly?

You can carry an assisted knife, but not a gravity knife?

Things are really out there...........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
phaust

Post by phaust »

I don't think it's known by enough people to get banned any time soon unless a murder puts it in the news.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:Or are they already in some areas?

The reason i ask is because they almost seem more dangerous than switchblades if you think about it.
A waved knife is no more dangerous than any other knife, just faster to deploy. It is that kind of thinking that will have them prohibited.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
markg

Post by markg »

Life is not the movies.

How fast a knife deploys has not one wit of consequences when it comes to the knife being used as a weapon.

Most people who are going to harm you with a knife, have had it drawn and hidden for a period of time before they attack. If you are under attack, you are pretty focused on not being injured by your attackers weapon.

If you do any force on force drills, and knife draws under stress you find out some pretty important things. Case in point, a time ago, I was training with some folks, and doing just this. I was being beat with boxing gloves and pads, I had to break contact and draw the knife. It was a waved Emerson Commander trainer. I broke contact, drew the knife and in the process tossed it across the room.

Knife duels as you engaged in, are an unheard of reality on the street.

The message that needs to be out there, is that a knife that opens quickly is no more dangerous than a knife that takes too hands to open. It is not hardware that wins fights, it is software.

I have come to dislike the wave. It works when you don't want it to, and it does not work when you need it to. I won't kick a waved knife out of bed, but I also don't need to have a waved knife to feel complete.
THG

Post by THG »

I don't think the wave will be attacked specifically. It's not widely used at all.

One way it might become illegal is if they write a law that happens to include the wave (e.g. "Any knife with an opener besides a thumb stud/hole is illegal.")
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:A waved knife is no more dangerous than any other knife, just faster to deploy. It is that kind of thinking that will have them prohibited.
By dangerous i meant as far as through the law's eyes, or in other words faster to deploy and use by the bad guys but again it's no more "dangerous" than a legal sized fixed blade either.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All other arguments aside, I believe they are already either illegal, or of somewhat questionable legality for carry in Massachusetts. "Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position" Not sure how LEO's there interpret that, or if there has ever been a test case or official ruling, but for me it would put waved knives on thin ice there, at best.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

How long have they been around? I had never seen one until recently when i started shopping for a new Spyderco and saw them in the catalog. The more i think about it the more i'm glad i'm using a zip tie..just in case. At least then i can break it off and possibly save myself from legal trouble if the situation came up.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:How long have they been around? I had never seen one until recently when i started shopping for a new Spyderco and saw them in the catalog. The more i think about it the more i'm glad i'm using a zip tie..just in case. At least then i can break it off and possibly save myself from legal trouble if the situation came up.
The Delica 4 and Endura 4 were the first Spydercos to receive factory waves. believe that was in 2006. Emerson has been using the wave a lot longer, but have no idea just when they started. Like many knife ideas, that feature may have appeared on a custom knife long before Emerson popularized it. I'm even inclined to see it as a refinement of the "one armed razor" slipjoints that became popular after the US Civil War and the idea of hooking a part of the blade on clothing to open a folding knife may go back much further than that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I had an Emerson CQC-7 with the wave feature for a while, then I sold it. It was super cool to wave it open while playing with it, I won't deny that. However I often will unclip my knife and drop it in my pocket while entering a public place where I don't want a knife clipped to my pocket. I did this several times with the Emerson and totally forgot about the wave, which resulted in me slicing my finger or palm open on several occasions. Walking around with blood dripping off your hands probably looks worse then having a knife clipped to you pocket. That's the main reason I got rid of it, other then that it's a nice knife.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.