Prototype or fake ?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
M2P

Prototype or fake ?

Post by M2P »

Hello,

First post, didn't find where to present myself, sorry.
I found this Spyderco Khalsa (loved or hated !) on ebay as a prototype. Because it's one of my favorites, i bought it. But now I'd like to know if it's a real proto or just a fake ?

Thank you very much.

Math
Plain Edge Friendly !
Favorite ones : 1- Native (+ Poliwog) 2- C42 H.Viele 3- J.S.Khalsa & Dragonfly
~~ Looking for Native 5 FRN Brown Operation Inherent Resolve
C41BN5
~~

Post by 224477 »

To me it looks more like proto than fake, however I cant tell anything on the proto /age, story, etc.../

I havent seen a fake Jot yet, and I think the model is too old for the chinese engineers to be copied now.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
M2P

Post by M2P »

By fake, I was meaning that the guy could have worn it, used it, and to sell it on ebay, engraved it as "prototype Spyderco" ...? :mad:
Plain Edge Friendly !
C41BN5
~~

Post by 224477 »

Uhm, I cant comment on that, not sure if someone might 'adjust' that one aftermarket to artificially increase the 'value'..
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My "guess" would be the markings were added by someone. Any legitimated Spyderco prototypes I have ever seen were stamped on the blade. The style of lettering is also one I've never seen on a Spyderco. The chances that the markings were added later increase exponentially if the seller was either travis... or discountjds, they are both known to sell "frankenSpyders" assembled from parts.

But, in truth, only someone from Spyderco, or Jot Singh Khalsa himself can say for certain. If the markings were added by Jot Singh Khalsa, then they would definitely increase the knife's value, so you might consider contacting him.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

The lettering on the scales seems clumsy to me (especially the way the tail of the 'y' almost drops off the scale) and doesn't resemble anything I have seen Spyderco put on knives but it's hard to say for sure. Do Spyderco ever put the word 'prototype' on any of their pre-production knives? I have one and it is unmarked but it is a fairly new model.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
M2P

Post by M2P »

Thanks for your answers, and the seller was ... discountsjds ! Arghhhh :mad:

Edit:
As you can see on these pics, the blade is "scratchy" (i don't have the good traduction !):
Same the other side :

EDIT : in fact, I was able to put these traces off the blade and it became as a new one ! But the pieces of steel under the micarta handle are not smooth on their edge. Look like a pre-production... (I still hope it's a real one ;) ) . Now I think only someone from Spyderco could tell me more ...
Plain Edge Friendly !
C41BN5
~~
araneae

Post by araneae »

M2P wrote:Thanks for your answers, and the seller was ... discountsjds ! Arghhhh :mad:
That's enough to me for it to be ruled as likely not authentic.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
knifeman64

Post by knifeman64 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2142wt_972

This knife looks a lot like the one in your pic . I would say its not a fake.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

knifeman64 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2142wt_972

This knife looks a lot like the one in your pic . I would say its not a fake.
The Khalsa is a real knife, but the question is more of whether it's an authentic prototype or a regular production knife that someone had altered and is trying to pass off as a prototype. As Deacon pointed out, the seller is well known for taking sub-quality parts and assembling knives that he tries to pass off for a rare or one-of-a-kind official Spyderco when they are, in fact, not official.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sal

Post by sal »

Hi M2P,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

I think the knife is real except we didn't put the Spyderco on the handle. It's not likely a prototype, just a production piece that some one aded the Spyderco on the handle aftermarket.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's becoming pretty clear that knifeman64's only reason for joining this forum is to promote his auctions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

The Deacon wrote:It's becoming pretty clear that knifeman64's only reason for joining this forum is to promote his auctions.
Checking back through his few posts they all lead to auctions by the exact same seller. I would have to say good catch Deacon. Looks like you hit the nail on the head on this one.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.