Citadel for Duty Use!!

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
BillyJack

Citadel for Duty Use!!

Post by BillyJack »

Hey guys. I'm looking for input on the Big Citadel, for duty use. I'm thinking about getting one for duty use. Do you guys know how strong the lock is compared to the Auto-Axis from Benchmade. And also the deployment speed compared to the 5000 Presideo and 6150 Rukus, from Benchmade?

Thx,
Brad
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Brad, I don't have any experience with the Citadel, but I do have some with the Embassy. I used the Embassy while On-Duty and it was Top Notch ...didn't have any issues with it and the lock is STRONG/Rock Solid. I'm sure the spydercrew use the same Strong lock in the Citadel as well.

As far as the opening speed ...Super Fast!!! If you don't have a good grip on the knife when it opens, it could pop out of your hand. I'd have to say that all the spydie autos are faster than some of the other autos I've handled. I think you'd be very happy with the performance of the Citadel.

In saying that, I'd have to say using the Citadel as a Duty knife would be just fine for you. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
BillyJack

Post by BillyJack »

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to get it. The price is definately right.

Be Safe,
Brad
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Brad, You won't be disappointed ...let us know when you get that Bad Boy and give us your thoughts. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
BillyJack

Post by BillyJack »

I will get it right after the holidays. I will definately let you guys know all about it, when I have it in hand.
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

will let you know, as I am a Police Officer and my wife is getting me one for Christmas. :D
BillyJack

Post by BillyJack »

Very cool. Cannot wait to hear your opinion about the Citadel.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

I "dont" have one and love it. When you hit that botton it explodes out! Get the black on black.... You will not be sorry. And the prices seem to keep dropping, dont know if people dont like it or cant legaly buy it or what. I cant imagine it is not popular but maybe peeps cant obtain them cause of the silly laws
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

raven wrote:As far as the opening speed ...Super Fast!!! If you don't have a good grip on the knife when it opens, it could pop out of your hand. I'd have to say that all the spydie autos are faster than some of the other autos I've handled. I think you'd be very happy with the performance of the Citadel.
I concur with raven's comments on the action's speed and power.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
BillyJack

Post by BillyJack »

My only concern is deploying it with my left hand under stress. With the training I have been through, we are taught to use our "off-hand", opposite our gun hand. Considering its a a plunger deployment, I would have to use my index finger to deploy the knife. Under stress it might be a challenge. This is the only reason I am not sure about the knife.

From your posts, I see the deployment speed is top notch. This is not a concern anymore. Im debating purchasing the Citadel or one of Benchmade's Auto-Axis knives. But the price on the Citadel is considerably cheaper, through the SAS program.
raven

Post by raven »

Hey BillyJack, It's actually not that difficult to deploy. I'm left handed ...well more ambi than anything. I was gifted the Embassy from a real cool Bro here when I was having issues opening a knife when I injured my right hand :( .

I carried (still do on occasion) the Embassy in my left pocket, because of the "tip-up" carry ...it's easy to deploy the knife and index the plunger button and lock the blade. The design is rock solid in the hand when deploying with a solid grip, so when the blade springs open you'll have a pretty solid grip and control. Hope this helps some :o . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-

ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

BillyJack wrote:My only concern is deploying it with my left hand under stress. With the training I have been through, we are taught to use our "off-hand", opposite our gun hand. Considering its a a plunger deployment, I would have to use my index finger to deploy the knife. Under stress it might be a challenge. This is the only reason I am not sure about the knife.

From your posts, I see the deployment speed is top notch. This is not a concern anymore. Im debating purchasing the Citadel or one of Benchmade's Auto-Axis knives. But the price on the Citadel is considerably cheaper, through the SAS program.

The advantage with the Auto Axis is that it's ambidexterous. I have the 5270 Auto Presidio Ultra. I got it from the Five Star Cutlery (based in NJ) booth at the MD State Fair for 127.20 including tax. That's at least 30 dollars cheaper than anywhere else I've seen it online. They pretty much beat any online price by that much. Since I was already in uniform because I was working the detail, I obviously didn't need to show any creds. I think they may be able to ship to you as long as you fax them your creds (they won't sell autos to non-LE). I know that you can order directly from Benchmade if you do that but they will charge full retail price.

PM me if you want the actual number of the place. I think I still have it on my receipt.
papaac

Post by papaac »

I handled a NIB Citadel recently. The button seemed "gritty" and the action was delayed compared to my spring assisted Benchmade and Kerhsaw.