2010 Forum Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ozspyder wrote:Damascus Persian sprint run as a forum knife would be "OH YEAH !!!!"
You know, I am in, even if I have to sell half of my knives :)
ozspyder wrote: Realistically speaking, a mid sized knife the Knife of the Year Caly 3 would be awesome and affordable.
I love this idea as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Grendelspyce

Post by Grendelspyce »

My vote is for a dodo.
Tousie

Post by Tousie »

Apologies for the necro bump but this has been on my mind increasingly frequently as we approach the second half of 2010. Any new ideas/info crop up in the last few months? Seems to me this has been the year of the Manix2. A FFG version with alternate handle color and an exotic steel seems like it would fit the bill nicely; especially for those of us who missed out on the blue sprint. Although the ukpk or caly3 would be nothing to sniff at either. That being said, I'm likely in for one no matter what model is chosen :D
gac

Post by gac »

Resilience
Metals of war

Post by Metals of war »

Hey,

Definitely a discontinued model!!!

+1 Shabaria!!!

Gabe
I dream the dream of steel and blade. Now I'm dreaming it awake too.

“Temptation is like a knife, that may either cut the meat or the throat of a man; it may be his food or his poison, his exercise or his destruction”

(John Owen)

My latest :spyder:'s

Meerkat sprint C64JPBG
Bushcraft Second
Lum Chinese C65FGPBK
Delica FFG C11FPBL
Endura FFG C10FPBL
Delica zdp-189 C11SGRE
Manix 2 FFG Sprint C101GPBL2
Military Titanium C36TI
Caly3 CF zdp-189 C113CF
Manix 2 Pink C101GPPN2
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

All the folks requesting Dodo's and Shabaria's......

You must be made out of money. Most folks (like me) cannot afford to shell out more than about $100 for a forum knife.

The more expensive it gets the less people will buy it. Not everyone is rich here.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
pcsheriff1

Resilience

Post by pcsheriff1 »

I like the idea of one of the less expensive Spydercos being a forum knife. Put tan G10 on it and we could buy one for ourselves and buy one to send to a soldier serving in the MidEast. What do you think?
todd
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

In the original poll the choice was between every model being produced in Golden (and a few overseas) that could probably be produced as a forum knife for under $100. Sal has made it plain that the forum knife should be widely affordable to forumites.

(I was pushing for the Lil' Temp last year so I share your desire)
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Sequimite. What ever happened to the thread that you started on the 2010 forum knife?
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

My vote goes to a Salt model. With the growing popularity of H1 and the Salt series they really deserve the spotlight this year, there is just quite nothing like H1.
Absolututely with a different color handle! Something to go with the sea/salt theme, like oceanic blue or pure white or translucent. :D
phaust

Post by phaust »

Creepo wrote:My vote goes to a Salt model. With the growing popularity of H1 and the Salt series they really deserve the spotlight this year, there is just quite nothing like H1.
Absolututely with a different color handle! Something to go with the sea/salt theme, like oceanic blue or pure white or translucent. :D
That's a cool idea. With the salts geared towards water use, I doubt we'd ever see any of those colors regularly (blue, white, transulcent). I'd definitely (try to be fast enough to) get one of those!
amar

Post by amar »

phaust wrote:That's a cool idea. With the salts geared towards water use, I doubt we'd ever see any of those colors regularly (blue, white, transulcent). I'd definitely (try to be fast enough to) get one of those!
+1 for the Salt, and the color of the handle is nice too. I'd rather say a knife with H1 steel should be the forum knife this time. I am scared to keep non-H1 blades in my jeans pocket since I sweat like a hog here - and H1 knife will be absolute stress-free. :-)

And yes, a price tag around $50 is realistic, while around $100 is difficult (at least for me with a $ to Rupee conversion of 1:48).

-Amarendra
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

+1 for the Salt
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Hector Castro wrote:Sequimite. What ever happened to the thread that you started on the 2010 forum knife?
HERE it is, alive and kicking.

Maybe we should stick to ONE "2010 Forum knife thread" :D

Dennis
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

David Lowry wrote:All the folks requesting Dodo's and Shabaria's......

You must be made out of money. Most folks (like me) cannot afford to shell out more than about $100 for a forum knife.

The more expensive it gets the less people will buy it. Not everyone is rich here.
i understand what you are saying about the orange Dodo being high priced but i thought with the demand of this knife it would be pretty cool to offer it in maybe 500 pieces as a forum knife to sooth the need for people wanting this.

i passed on the purple Native, not fond of purple. Still dont own a forum knife either. To add to the whole thing i dont have a job and cant afford a Dodo but the thought seemed like a maybe?
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Personally, I think the Dodo would be better as a sprint-run - the forum knife should be as accessible to as many forum members as possible and the price point is a major part of this. It doesn't have to be El Cheapo but I think sub-$100 is a good target to aim at. Another consideration might be world knife laws too, so sub 3-inch would be good and a SLIPIT would be even better. I think the forum knife should be an advert for the Spyderco forums so the more EDC-able it is, the better :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)