Spyderco Native BRK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
billy blade

Spyderco Native BRK

Post by billy blade »

I just picked up a LNIB Spyderco Native at a flea market CHEEP :) The blade is marked 1st Generation BRK. The blade is 440c and it has a silver clip. Can any one tell me something about it?
Thanks
Bill
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Well, there's a reason that knife was cheap. The BRK Natives were an early run from a factory whch did not deliver on quality. They have a reputation for being poorly made knives. More info here

http://paulberetta.com/spy101_the_brk_native.htm

courtesy of forum member The Deacon
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
bh49

Post by bh49 »

440C sound quite strange. Supposed to be 440A :confused:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I ended up with one of those on accident as well...Not actually a true spyderco. Heres a link to my thread asking about it from a few years back. http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27545
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

My Bad it is 440a! Good write up by the Deacon. I still don't feel that $15 was to much for it since it was one of the first Natives. I did not realize they had so many grownig pains with the native.
Thanks for the info!
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

It's interesting, depending on who you ask, some folks say it IS a Spyderco, some say it isn't one. I have 14 Spyderco Natives (so far), of which I count this as one.

I look at it as a Spyderco that was built by someone else out of parts made by Spyderco. Kind of a poorly put together kit knife. Just depends on your point of view, I guess.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

billy blade wrote:My Bad it is 440a! Good write up by the Deacon. I still don't feel that $15 was to much for it since it was one of the first Natives. I did not realize they had so many grownig pains with the native.
Thanks for the info!
Thanks, and IMHO $15 is not a bad price at all to pay for one.
bohica1998 wrote:It's interesting, depending on who you ask, some folks say it IS a Spyderco, some say it isn't one. I have 14 Spyderco Natives (so far), of which I count this as one.

I look at it as a Spyderco that was built by someone else out of parts made by Spyderco. Kind of a poorly put together kit knife. Just depends on your point of view, I guess.
It's "not a Spyderco" in the sense that it was not sold by Spyderco and is not warrantied by them. But, to put that in perspective, my Santa Fe Stoneworks Kiwis would fall into that same category.

It "is a Spyderco" in the sense that it was assembled and sold with their knowledge and consent from parts which were originally produced for them and which carry the Spyderco name.

The only real "problem" is the way some of them are marketed on eBay, with at least the implication they are covered by Spyderco's warranty.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!