Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Nice job jzmtl! What did you use to skeletonize the liners?
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Simsmac wrote:Nice job jzmtl! What did you use to skeletonize the liners?
Thanks, I used cobalt drill bits and a corded drill to drill, dremel and a few grinding stone to smooth the edge.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

sharpguitarist wrote:put scales on my tenacious:
added a matching backspacer:
removed the delrin backspacer on my d2 milie:
took the black off of my clip and gave it a "stonewashed" finish:
removed the black from my other :spyder: :
Love what you did to the Tenacious. Is that Brown Linen Micarta? Do you do these for others or just for yourself?
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Bluntrauma wrote:Love what you did to the Tenacious. Is that Brown Linen Micarta? Do you do these for others or just for yourself?
thanks! ;)
it's green linen micarta, even though it does look brown. after a few days of edc, the micarta kinda gets "polished", and darkens.
i made these scales just to personalize my knife, and i had to do it the hard way. i'm not at all set up to make these, but there are a few around that could probably help you out.
i used a scroll saw, a drill driver, a rotary tool, a bastard file and sandpaper to make these, primitive compared to what you would need to mass produce scales.
it was time consuming, but a lot of fun. and now i have a knife that's mine!
i would suggest trying it for yourself. there are enough folks around these parts that could help coach you through the process.
give it a shot, you can always put the original scales back on if you're not happy with the results.
good luck!
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Thanks for the tips. That is really one sweet looking knife!
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Jazz

Couple of Delica 4's

Post by Jazz »

No grinding or any kind of real modding - just switched the blades. The FG needed a thicker blade, so I put my favorite one on it.

I really like the FFG blades, but would be much happier with a higher flat grind, not full. They seem a bit too bendy to me.

- best wishes, Jazz.
unit

Post by unit »

My latest work...
This is the greatest amount of time I have put into a single knife. The inspiration was to create a knife that many would look at and assume to be stock. In other words the modifications should appear to be as if the way the maker would have done had time and money not been a concern.

I will let you guys decide if I managed to pull it off or not.

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Wow - you can see your face on that back-bar ... did you use a mechanical buffer or just lots of wet&dry, energy and time? :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
unit

Post by unit »

ChrisR wrote:Wow - you can see your face on that back-bar ... did you use a mechanical buffer or just lots of wet&dry, energy and time? :)
I used both. I used only a mechanical buffer on the clip, but not so much on everything else.

I made a stand alone album for this knife if anyone wants to see more photos.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

unit wrote:I made a stand alone album for this knife if anyone wants to see more photos.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59
I'd love to see them but when I click on the link it asks me to log in (even though I am already logged in) and says I don't have permission to view the page :(
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
unit

Post by unit »

ChrisR wrote:I'd love to see them but when I click on the link it asks me to log in (even though I am already logged in) and says I don't have permission to view the page :(
Aww dang. I am new to the Spyderco photo album feature. I am not sure how to post a link to it.

Try clicking on the community tab above and go to pictures and albums...perhaps you can search it that way? (if you really want to)

Will this work?
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

unit wrote:Try clicking on the community tab above and go to pictures and albums...perhaps you can search it that way? (if you really want to)
Thanks - found it that way ... I think the correct link should be http://spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59 but I'm not sure if the link will work.

Anyway, nice work - you can really appreciate it when it's held next to an original one :)
unit

Post by unit »

ChrisR wrote:Thanks - found it that way ... I think the correct link should be http://spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59 but I'm not sure if the link will work.

Anyway, nice work - you can really appreciate it when it's held next to an original one :)
Thanks...I wish I knew more about that album feature. I am starting to host a lot of my Spyderco photos there and it would be nice to post links to albums for those who are bandwidth-challenged...I guess you do not come to the Picture Gallery Forum if you can not handle the bandwidth though?

Thanks for the props. In order to REALLY appreciate it you need to hold it in your hand and use it. A good bit of the grinding and polishing took place on the blade. She will pass any cut test I give her at this point. I set a new PR for hair-whittling last night! (Spoken like a true knife geek, LOL)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice job, Unit. Is that rounded off too, or just polished?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, I guess this is a mod - my first engraving. There're more pics in General Discussion...

Thanks for lookin'.

- best wishes, Jazz.
unit

Post by unit »

Jazz wrote:Nice job, Unit. Is that rounded off too, or just polished?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Rounded and polished. This one was tough to photograph...wish I had a good video camera with a macro lense.

Thanks.

BTW your engraving job is fantastic!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

unit wrote:Rounded and polished. This one was tough to photograph...wish I had a good video camera with a macro lense.

Thanks.

BTW your engraving job is fantastic!
Thank you sir. I really want a camera with macro on it, too. It would make our mods even better. ;) You've inspired me to (maybe) do a bunch of filework on a D4 and maybe I'll change the scales to Stag or something. Thanks for your cool pics!

- best wishes, Jazz.
unit

Post by unit »

Jazz wrote:Thank you sir. I really want a camera with macro on it, too. It would make our mods even better. ;) You've inspired me to (maybe) do a bunch of filework on a D4 and maybe I'll change the scales to Stag or something. Thanks for your cool pics!

- best wishes, Jazz.
Likewise. Your work inspires me, sir.

I have to figure out what to try next...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

A pretty simple mod to my latest Para, polished clip (pain in the arse to get the paint off!) and sanded down the rear bump.
unit

Post by unit »

Bushbadger wrote:A pretty simple mod to my latest Para, polished clip (pain in the arse to get the paint off!) and sanded down the rear bump.
Fantastic work!

Some day I will get back to carrying my PM...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)