Dying handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ssmtbracer

Dying handles

Post by ssmtbracer »

Sorry if there is already a thread about this but how would I go about dying my yellow handles on my spyderhawk. I think I want to go black. But maybe something else.
tac

Post by tac »

Reportedly colored scales can only be dyed black - any other dye color tends to turn out brown. White scales can be dyed any color.

Colored scales can be dyed a nice black, just mix the dye in hot (not boiling) water, soak the knife for 10-20 minutes, then rinse. Nothing to it. :)
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

tac wrote:Reportedly colored scales can only be dyed black - any other dye color tends to turn out brown. White scales can be dyed any color.

Colored scales can be dyed a nice black, just mix the dye in hot (not boiling) water, soak the knife for 10-20 minutes, then rinse. Nothing to it. :)
Where and what kind of dye?
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Colored scale can be dyed other color, but getting the color you want could be tricky.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43102
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

The brand of dye we use the most is called RIT(http://www.ritdye.com/home.lasso)

It is most commonly found is your supermarket isle(located near the sewing/detergent)

As said above white can be dyed any color you wish while yellow tends to dye better if you want a darker color. I once had a yellow salt1 that was dyed green...ish.

Also, g10 can be dyed.
Come Join Us Click Here
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

tac wrote:Reportedly colored scales can only be dyed black - any other dye color tends to turn out brown. White scales can be dyed any color.
There is a post on here with a yellow Salt dyed to blue.. don't remember precisely what dye was used, but do a search..
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
tac

Post by tac »

Thanks for the links, that red dye job looks great. That's what I get for relying on my shaky memory when posting. :o
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

defenestrate wrote:There is a post on here with a yellow Salt dyed to blue.. don't remember precisely what dye was used, but do a search..
i used royal blue rit dye. just follow the directions on the box. its pretty easy

8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager