Whittling/carving information?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unit

Whittling/carving information?

Post by unit »

Can anyone share some resources (links perhaps) to information regarding whittling? Specifically, I enjoy carving little useless trinkets out of scrap wood, but I suck at it and would enjoy learning from others that might want to share some helpful info.

Anyone know of such a resource?

Thanks,
Ken

P.S. if any of you guys also like carving/whittling, please post up some pictures of your work!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love whittling - whether accually making something or just turning a stick into a pile of shavings. You could just try "whittling" with the search function at the top of the forum, but I bumped up to the top a couple of threads for you to check out. One's in general discussion and one's in off topic.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Ski

Post by Ski »

Jazz wrote:I love whittling - whether accually making something or just turning a stick into a pile of shavings. - best wishes, Jazz.

+1

There are few things I appreciate more than time spent outside with a good sharp friend, a straight-grained stick, and a head full of thoughts!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'll be interested in seeing what others say in response to this too!

I enjoy whittling, but have zero talent! :D I have started whittling a wooden chain just for practice, kind of like this link shows: http://www.ehow.com/how_5056435_whittle ... rving.html

But when whittling I sometimes find myself liking small narrow blades to reach into delicate curves, such as the old classic slip-joints my grandfather might have used. Which current Spyderco's have a blade like that? Something like a Ladybug has a small blade, but not really narrow.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

rodloos wrote:I'll be interested in seeing what others say in response to this too!

I enjoy whittling, but have zero talent! :D I have started whittling a wooden chain just for practice, kind of like this link shows: http://www.ehow.com/how_5056435_whittle ... rving.html

But when whittling I sometimes find myself liking small narrow blades to reach into delicate curves, such as the old classic slip-joints my grandfather might have used. Which current Spyderco's have a blade like that? Something like a Ladybug has a small blade, but not really narrow.
For my actual carving, I use old style pocketknives for that reason. I wish I had pics to show you besides this one of a back scratcher I'm working on. The Urban wasn't used on it - it's just for a fancy pic.

I make pendants out of wood, rock, bone, metal... whatever, and sell the necklaces to the waitresses where I work. I've done most of the tricks like ball in cage, sliding joints, chains, etc. and made them into pendants. NOT without a lot of broken attempts, though. Just practice and be patient. I'm about to attempt carving on a SS Ladybug - I hope I don't wreck it. Check the off topic thread, if you haven't already.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Unit, in the Whittler Recommmendation Needed thread, there is a link to a tutorial on how to do a ball in cage posted by Yablanowitz. A good project to take on. Ive done 1.9 of them. The last one is only .9 done since i have to round off the ball to make it roll better. Take a look and have fun.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
unit

Post by unit »

Thanks guys.

I figured that the best way to learn would be to just start out and tear some stuff up...hopefully I won't cut off any phalanges!

While I want to produce some neat stuff, I am unwilling to "cheat" and use tools other than what I have as an EDC. I suppose that is a built in excuse to explain why my finished trinkets are crummy ;)

I carved a little heart out of the end of a stick with my Salt the other night while waiting for my wife to finish her e-mailing rituals...it is crap and she did not even know what it was, but I will post up a photo of it later for giggles. May be it will encourage others with similar (read "little") talent to post up their efforts?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

unit

Post by unit »

Pneumothorax wrote:Unit, in the Whittler Recommmendation Needed thread, there is a link to a tutorial on how to do a ball in cage posted by Yablanowitz. A good project to take on. Ive done 1.9 of them. The last one is only .9 done since i have to round off the ball to make it roll better. Take a look and have fun.
I think that link is dead...

This one?
http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/cache/articles/t2/bic.htm

No workie for me...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

unit wrote:I think that link is dead...

This one?
http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/cache/articles/t2/bic.htm

No workie for me...
Sorry about that. Here are a couple more links - not as good as the original link, though:
http://www.wikihow.com/Whittle-a-Ball-in-a-Cage
http://www.ehow.com/how_2323478_whittle-ball-cage.html

I have hard copy of the dead link tutorial that shows the most pics step-by-step - pm me if you want me to send you a scanned file.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

unit wrote:Thanks guys.

I figured that the best way to learn would be to just start out and tear some stuff up...hopefully I won't cut off any phalanges!

While I want to produce some neat stuff, I am unwilling to "cheat" and use tools other than what I have as an EDC. I suppose that is a built in excuse to explain why my finished trinkets are crummy ;)

I carved a little heart out to the end of a stick with my Salt the other night while waiting for my wife to finish her e-mailing rituals...it is crap and she did not even know what it was, but I will post up a photo of it later for giggles. May be it will encourage others with similar (read "little") talent to post up their efforts?
Okay, now you've got to show us :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
unit

Post by unit »

Jazz wrote:Okay, now you've got to show us :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
You from the Show Me State too?

I will post up a pic later...it is nothing to get excited over, but it re-lit the whittling spark for me that went out over 25 years ago!

Pneumothorax, I may hit you up later for that scan. The links you provided make it look so easy...Only 6 steps ehh? Somehow I think I may be adding a step (or two) for bandage application when I get around to my tutorial :)

Thanks for the links you provided, they seem to give me enough to go on...for now
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

unit

Post by unit »

Jazz wrote:Okay, now you've got to show us :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Here you go. Like I said, nothing to impressive, but I enjoyed doing it and I think that is the real point.

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Ski

Post by Ski »

unit wrote:Here you go. Like I said, nothing to impressive, but I enjoyed doing it and I think that is the real point.
Unfortunately, that attitude led me to become a ski bum, who makes pointy sticks in the summer.

At least I'm working on college..sort of!

Thanks for posting the picture!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Nice.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

unit wrote:Here you go. Like I said, nothing to impressive, but I enjoyed doing it and I think that is the real point.

Cool - that's what whittling should be. Just fun and relaxation. It's also a great excuse to actually use your Spydies and get an idea of how well they cut, etc. I like to do nonsense, random shapes on sticks. If you want a really easy to carve wood, try Basswood (also called Linden). Thanks for sharing the picture.

- best wishes, Jazz.
sesshin

Post by sesshin »

you might want to check out this forum. lots of whittlers over there.
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I can make a sweet stick spear and a killer wooden pickle. LOL.
unit

Post by unit »

Scottie3000 wrote:I can make a sweet stick spear and a killer wooden pickle. LOL.
Pictures or it did not happen :D

I whittled some marshmallow roasting skewers last night as a preliminary step of s'more construction (I am REALLY trying to over-sell the magnitude of this undertaking). The finished products were not all that pretty but they functioned flawlessly. Tried to make a video, but lost the file...I guess it did not really happen LOL.

My kids now have a greater appreciation for my knife hobbies!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

unit wrote:Pictures or it did not happen :D
It was more of a joke, like the balloon artist that can make snakes and worms. But if you must, i'll take a pic or two.
unit

Post by unit »

Scottie3000 wrote:It was more of a joke, like the balloon artist that can make snakes and worms. But if you must, i'll take a pic or two.
Yeah, I got that...mine was a joke too. Tone never comes across well on these forums. Sorry.

I will say that a pickle might actually give me some difficulty at this point :p
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)