Mr. Tenacious meets Airport Security

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
feeny

Post by feeny »

...and they still use metal cutlery in first class.. in the hands of a motivated FMA or Amok or Silat practitioner these would be quite effective... as would a humble fork or metal pen...

...not to mention the nigerian near-teenager who smuggled a bomb through all the TSA had to offer just a few short months ago...

If we were serious about security we would ban all luggage and fly naked :)
Let our clothes and bags follow us in the jet luggage plane :)

I wish I could have the 3 hours of wasted time back for every long haul flight I have taken over the last decade :(
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

feeny wrote: If we were serious about security we would ban all luggage and fly naked :)
Let our clothes and bags follow us in the jet luggage plane :)

(
..and submit to body cavity searches. :eek:
Metric

Post by Metric »

ChrisR wrote:It's certainly possible that they could have an effect and I am not sure if the average American traveler is more squeamish than others but full body scanners have been up and running in a few international airports and they seem to be accepted without any problems.

At Domodedovo (Moscow) everyone getting on a plane goes through a FBS operated by female FSB operatives and I've never felt embarrassed or worried about an invasion of my privacy. The machines are there to detect hidden weapons and not just for fun so I think most travelers accept that they are a necessary evil.

I think we'd all like to turn back the clock and get back to a simpler world but it isn't really going to happen any time soon :(
It is evil, yes, but not necessary. It is designed for exactly one purpose -- to cover the butts of politicians when the next terrorist decides to kill himself and bring a little pain to the west. Terrorism included, air travel has always been incredibly safe compared to any other mode of travel. But air disasters get headlines -- exactly the kinds of headlines politicians do not want to be in. And that is why we are made to suffer -- to protect the power and paychecks of parasites. Nothing more.

In fact, the added hassle of government security causing people to drive rather than fly has probably increased the total death rate of travellers, easily overcompensating for any small addition caused by terrorism. Our politicians are killing us so that they can stay in power.
cckw

Post by cckw »

My girlfriend made it through airport security with my native in her purse. black knife didn't show up in the bottom when she was prepping for the trip. Ran across it before the return trip and had it in checked luggage. TSA is typically mall cop quality so not surprising it made it through.

ihave since gave her a purple ladybug :)
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Great stories. I really, really enjoyed reading these! Can knives still be carried in your luggage? (not your carry on)
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

ChrisR wrote:It's certainly possible that they could have an effect and I am not sure if the average American traveler is more squeamish than others but full body scanners have been up and running in a few international airports and they seem to be accepted without any problems.

At Domodedovo (Moscow) everyone getting on a plane goes through a FBS operated by female FSB operatives and I've never felt embarrassed or worried about an invasion of my privacy. The machines are there to detect hidden weapons and not just for fun so I think most travelers accept that they are a necessary evil.

I think we'd all like to turn back the clock and get back to a simpler world but it isn't really going to happen any time soon :(
Yes, people go thru, but we may never see any large increases, so the people you speak of today may me the new standard.

I work in travel, and it so dead...DEAD. We may never know because the people who sell these machines to the TSA will never admit they are at fault.

Meeting and convention business travel is at an all time low, and meeting planners I know are retiring at record pace.

We did this to ourselves.

And good service could be in place today, but why should the airlines bother, they do not have even be nice.

My description of flying is you check your self into custody, and are under arrest until you clear the airport grounds. Look straight ahead, take your seat, say nothing. Really, am I far off? No!

I have flown millions of miles all over the world in my life, and the service will never return because business people did not complain, and now you are not allowed to.
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

In the future, if I must go thru the full body scanner, I want a female inspector, may as well give her something to remember :D Her look would be this :eek:
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Toad310 wrote:In the future, if I must go thru the full body scanner, I want a female inspector, may as well give her something to remember :D Her look would be this :eek:
Whenever I went through those machines they were operated by women officers - presumably assuming that women would prefer another woman ... and men wouldn't care either way. I never saw a single person complain or look squeamish going through ... after you have removed all your loose change and your belt, taken your shoes off and put on silly plastic socks, and stacked all your belongings into those plastic trays - believe me, it's the least of your worries! :D

But seriously, when compared to the problems with the economic crash and the Icelandic volcano blowing its top, I very much doubt that body scanners have had much effect on the travelling public. Nobody likes them but the image they produce is hardly what you'd call 'explicit' - just a grey shape that operators get to see for no more than about 5 seconds. :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

To the Op, congratulations on your wedding. And sorry about the loss of the knife. But it sounds like you brought home something way more valuable. :) I hope the new knife serves you well.

I hate not having a knife on me when I fly. And the knife laws in some places are ridiculous.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Great to come back a couple days later and see these replies. The posts remind me of the "naked" feeling I had in so many ways. Good to know you guys get it.
Chainlink

Post by Chainlink »

Dang Tampa.....I flew down there a few years back for a graduation and put my very well traveled and abused knife in my suitcase...stayed less than 48 hours...the return was early in the A.M. and I got ready to fly back.....well right before the scanner I realized my ole pal was clipped where it always was.

I stepped to the side and asked one of the security there for help. I explained the situation and offered 50 bucks cash to send it to me, it was a very worn knife, I paid less than 50 for it but 10+ years of carry you get attached. He declined my offer, I tried to persuade him to no avail. I had to drop it in a 50 gallon drum with a small opening at the top.

I need a second, sniffle

It made the worst noise ever, peeked in and saw it was almost full....imagine the money in knives in there. I couldn't see it and that hurt as well. I was so freaking bummed.

I never realized how I could become so attached to an object like a knife, I have guns I swear I will never get rid of and have a ton more value, but a cheap(money wise) knife. Well it was in my pocket 10+ years, held a good edge and never let me down. I have many fine knives and I like them all, but I do get a little depressed thinking of that little beater lost in Tampa... :(
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Chainlink wrote:Dang Tampa.....I flew down there a few years back for a graduation and put my very well traveled and abused knife in my suitcase...stayed less than 48 hours...the return was early in the A.M. and I got ready to fly back.....well right before the scanner I realized my ole pal was clipped where it always was.

I stepped to the side and asked one of the security there for help. I explained the situation and offered 50 bucks cash to send it to me, it was a very worn knife, I paid less than 50 for it but 10+ years of carry you get attached. He declined my offer, I tried to persuade him to no avail. I had to drop it in a 50 gallon drum with a small opening at the top.

I need a second, sniffle

It made the worst noise ever, peeked in and saw it was almost full....imagine the money in knives in there. I couldn't see it and that hurt as well. I was so freaking bummed.

I never realized how I could become so attached to an object like a knife, I have guns I swear I will never get rid of and have a ton more value, but a cheap(money wise) knife. Well it was in my pocket 10+ years, held a good edge and never let me down. I have many fine knives and I like them all, but I do get a little depressed thinking of that little beater lost in Tampa... :(
You have eery right to be upset. Just remember, you have a bunch of TSA employers who could not tguard the door at Wal-Mart, have a pension, and big salary.

Now, I go along...but just wait wait until I retire, I will really go after them..

Sorry, man.
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

ChrisR wrote:Whenever I went through those machines they were operated by women officers - presumably assuming that women would prefer another woman ... and men wouldn't care either way. I never saw a single person complain or look squeamish going through ... after you have removed all your loose change and your belt, taken your shoes off and put on silly plastic socks, and stacked all your belongings into those plastic trays - believe me, it's the least of your worries! :D

But seriously, when compared to the problems with the economic crash and the Icelandic volcano blowing its top, I very much doubt that body scanners have had much effect on the travelling public. Nobody likes them but the image they produce is hardly what you'd call 'explicit' - just a grey shape that operators get to see for no more than about 5 seconds. :)
Well you are wrong about the volcano. it has no impact on domestic travel.

Just wait and see if travel ever returns, I doubt it will. There are other varablies.
Whieee

Post by Whieee »

Toad310 wrote:Well you are wrong about the volcano. it has no impact on domestic travel.

Just wait and see if travel ever returns, I doubt it will. There are other varablies.
No impact at all, except for all planes in Europe being grounded for days :rolleyes:

I do remember Amsterdam Airport having a service where you could get stuff 'canned'. I took a SAK with me that way once, worked well. The face of the waitress in a bar in Rome was priceless though, when I showed her the can and asked for a can-opener :D
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I think this topic has ran it's course and is no longer an appropriate discussion for General Discussion or Off Topic.

Thread Closed.
There is nothing more important than this one day.