Burn me once, shame on you...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bluntrauma

Burn me once, shame on you...

Post by Bluntrauma »

...burn me twice, shame on me... guess three times makes me a complete idiot.

I have come to the conclusion that I will never (NEVER) make a purchase on Ebay when the seller is in China. No offense to you decent sellers out there but I just got burned for the 3rd and final time by a seller from China.

A few years ago I got stuck for 200 bones for an ipod.

Several months ago for a Caly III that turned out to be a slip joint fake.

Last week I ordered a pair of Chuck Taylor Converse for the girlfriends daughter. Get a letter from Ebay saying that they pulled the listing to protect me. Then they asked me to contact the seller to try to resolve the issue.

Note to Ebay: If you pull a listing and suspend the seller how in the **** do you think I can contact them.

Sorry for this little rant but after 3 times I feel it is my duty whether anyone listens or not to proceed with much caution when buying from Ebay sellers that are based in China.

{steps off of soap box}
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

That sucks - sorry to hear that. Those UKPK fakes were very convincing though so there's no shame in falling for one ... the only shame is on the person selling them as genuine Spydercos :mad:
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

It was my own fault. Just happened to notice an auction ending a one minute so I bid on it without looking close enough. I knew I was screwed later on in the day. I have been thinking about giving it away to someone who might want to put it to the test. I'm thinking one could zip tie might be it's undoing haha

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

A couple of quick and dirty cell phone shots. Can you spot the fake or maybe the question should be do you have your eye glasses on? :D
Attachments
Caly collection.jpg
Caly collection.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Caly collection 2.jpg
Caly collection 2.jpg (60.28 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Caly collection 1.jpg
Caly collection 1.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 1880 times

liveit_loud on Ebay.

Post by 224477 »

Sorry to hear about your issue. The fake ukpk from china is nr.3 - the wire used for clip is different and the left side is missing place for lefty clip carry, the original has one. I cant comment on more, never had one in hands to compare with the real, i dont have a real one either. Its good to check the counterfeit subforum to avoid this if one is not sure. All major fakes that could fool you are there.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
tac

Post by tac »

Well, if the one in the middle is supposed to be a Caly 3, it's missing two pins and a backlock...was it sold as a Caly 3 or a UKPK?
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Yeah, the fake UKPK is easy to spot when you know what to look for, but in the heat of bidding on eBay I am sure many people would be fooled - especially if the photos weren't all that clear. Sat side by side the fake and an original are very similar indeed - size, etching and shape are pretty much spot-on - just the pocket clip colour and the missing scale slots for left-handed carry give it away. The fit & finish aren't as good as an original either.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

It was listed as a Caly. I just didn't look before I bid. On the bright side I got it for next to nothing...which from looking it over is about what it is worth.

Funniest thing about it is that it says that it is made in Golden Colorado USA Earth.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Bluntrauma wrote:It was listed as a Caly. I just didn't look before I bid. On the bright side I got it for next to nothing...which from looking it over is about what it is worth.

Funniest thing about it is that it says that it is made in Golden Colorado USA Earth.
Yeah, the etching is exactly what you'd expect on a black G10 UKPK. They retail for about $12 or less in China, so I wouldn't believe the etching that says CPMS30V :D
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Um, so how much did you spend anyway?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Sorry to hear of your...lets call it...misfortune....Had a friend order three swords from China...he got a great price on ebay, paid $10 dollars a sword....the three swords together were worth about $200...so good deal huh....but he was charge hundreds of dollars in shipping charges...he lost big time on the deal...beware of ebay and China...those two words should not be in the same sentence...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

hellhound wrote:um, so how much did you spend anyway?

liveit_loud on Ebay.
Donut

Post by Donut »

$9 doesn't sound so bad.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
butterknife

Post by butterknife »

$9 sounds more like a light tan than a burn.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Yeah it was a cheap lesson for sure. Funny, the spine of the knife has aluminum running down the back. The pivot looks like a toothpick. Sure wouldn't trust this knife for much more than opening an envelope.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
Azad

Post by Azad »

On eBay I avoid buying branded goods. from Chinese and HK sellers.. Anything with an American brand e.g. Columbia, The North Face, Apple, Spyderco etc is most likely (90%) fake. All else is OK I guess. I've bought a camping stove, tent, MP3 accessories etc.
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Azad wrote:On eBay I avoid buying branded goods. from Chinese and HK sellers.. Anything with an American brand e.g. Columbia, The North Face, Apple, Spyderco etc is most likely (90%) fake. All else is OK I guess. I've bought a camping stove, tent, MP3 accessories etc.
Agree with you 100%, except you forgot Rolex!