Buying Spyderco on the Net!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Neomik

Buying Spyderco on the Net!

Post by Neomik »

Hi there everybody,

I would like to ask about your experiences of buying knifes of the Internet!
I live in Europe, in Greece to be exact at the moment and I do not have the opportunity to buy Spyderco products in a physical store cause there are simply none. There are some shops in Athens the capital but the prices are insane and that would be to far from where I live anyway. So I would not buy my knifes there in any case cause those shops rip you off by saying that those are the prices they have to sell the knifes for!

I do order my knifes directly from the U.S and to be exact from a few Ebay Stores that I found to trust. And as long the Euro is a bit stronger than the $ it makes twice as much sense.

My question is what are your opinions about those stores (remember not private listings from people but registered stores!).

I know that the knifes are originals but I wonder why sometimes how those stores do keep the prices so compatible and the shipping so low!

I would appreciate any input and information about those shops!

Thank you in advance and God bless you all

Michael
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Public stores then New Graham Knives, a bit pricey sometimes, sometimes not, but first class service.

http://newgraham.com/store/category/1/34/Spyderco/

On-line store, then Knife Center, large selection of all the current Spyderco's and often offer great deals again first class service and again quality is excellent.

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/spyderc/

Dealers, my now-friend Tom Berry at Spydercovt.com, all knives personally checked and great service, where the vast majority of my new knives come from.

http://spydercovt.com/

There are other people and companies out there but I'm more than happy with these. As I live in Australia the distance stops some people from doing business with me which is their choice........and their loss!

Regards,

BRIAN
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hi Michael, I would agree that there are a number of very reliable Spyderco dealers selling on eBay. Like you, I don't understand how some of them offer the prices they do. I know one has commented that it's a way of attracting business and, having worked in retail years ago, I am somewhat familiar with the "loss leader" concept (offering something below cost to get folks into the store). But I find it hard to believe that works on the internet, at least to the degree it does in brick and mortar sales. On the internet, your competitors are only a few mouse clicks away, and it's so easy to do comparison shopping for each and every item.

But, if it works for them, and it seems to since some have been around for a few years, then who am I to argue with a good price. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I have had excellent service and low prices from K&R Knives... and they say they ship worldwide now... worth a look...

http://krknives.com/

(I am merely a very satisfied customer)

Mike
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

Awesome!

I really appreciate your input guys!

Thing is that if you really like American Brands and products sometimes it's a bit difficult to satisfy your needs when you are half across the earth! But thanks to the internet today we can all trade and buy stuff from each other most likely all over the world!

Have a great day ya all

Michael
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

What's a physical store? ;) Every time I walk in a brick & mortar knife store I feel like I am going to get mugged.
Seriously, buy on eBay from Whitemountain or PoorFish and you will save a lot of money.
Other online dealers ship abroad upon request, although shipping to Europe is the worst because of local customs.
R.S.R

Post by R.S.R »

A good site is Heinnie Haynes,in the UK,they have a nice Spyderco range.
It might be cheaper than ordering from U.S.A?
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

For those that sell knives on Ebay that are reputable, I've heard horror stories. The lack of a substantial global tracking system outside the US presents the buyer an opportunity to say they never received their goods. Paypal will then look for tracking documentation. If there is nothing that indicates the package arrived in its country of destination - the seller loses the knife and the money when Paypal rules in the buyers favor.
Hope this makes sense.
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

@ Lorenzol: Whitemountain is one I order from and outfittercountry. They have a good collection and reasonable shipping.

@ R.S.R: The U.k is not good for me (to date) because of the GBP conversion to the Euro. Plus the retail price in U.K in general is always higher compared to the U.S.
Example: I checked the price let's say for the Caly 3 today at Heinnie Haynes it's £120.

Heinnie Haynes:
Caly3 VG10 : £120 = 138.00 Euro
Shipping : £4.50 = 5.00 Euro
Total : £124.50 = 143.00 Euro

On Ebay.com:
Caly3 ZDP-189: $119.95 = 94 Euro
Shipping : $ 14.95 = 11 Euro
Total : $134.90 = 105 Euro

The numbers speak for itself and in this case you get a superior version of the Caly 3 in the U.S for less the money as in the U.K if you have to pay with Euro.
And since I never have a problem with customs or anything I don't see why I should not order from the U.S!!!
Michael
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Well there is knifeworks.com they ship world wide,the prices are not half bad and friendly service as well.
Metals of war

Post by Metals of war »

Hi,

Dear fellow European Spyderholic.

Try Spydieguys.com Jess is a good man I ordered some of my knives from him.

Knifecenter.com is a SUPERB site. No1 reputation. Shipping is a bit high, due to the lack of USPS shipping, (UPS only).

And there is always Spyderco.com....

Gabe
I dream the dream of steel and blade. Now I'm dreaming it awake too.

“Temptation is like a knife, that may either cut the meat or the throat of a man; it may be his food or his poison, his exercise or his destruction”

(John Owen)

My latest :spyder:'s

Meerkat sprint C64JPBG
Bushcraft Second
Lum Chinese C65FGPBK
Delica FFG C11FPBL
Endura FFG C10FPBL
Delica zdp-189 C11SGRE
Manix 2 FFG Sprint C101GPBL2
Military Titanium C36TI
Caly3 CF zdp-189 C113CF
Manix 2 Pink C101GPPN2
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I have purchased several from spydie guys on ebay fair prices fast service. Poor Fish is another one on ebay fast shipping great prices,not sure about international shipping on them.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Giasou!
Welcome to the forum, first of all, and greetings from a fellow Greek in Canada.

I hope you manage to get your hands on some Spydercos!
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Metals of war wrote:Hi,

Dear fellow European Spyderholic.

Try Spydieguys.com Jeff is a good man I ordered some of my knives from him.

Knifecenter.com is a SUPERB site. No1 reputation. Shipping is a bit high, due to the lack of USPS shipping, (UPS only).

And there is always Spyderco.com....

Gabe
Spydieguys? I don't think so... The only Jeff that' s great is Jeff from Cutlery Shoppe.
Jowens

Post by Jowens »

RevDevil wrote:For those that sell knives on Ebay that are reputable, I've heard horror stories. The lack of a substantial global tracking system outside the US presents the buyer an opportunity to say they never received their goods. Paypal will then look for tracking documentation. If there is nothing that indicates the package arrived in its country of destination - the seller loses the knife and the money when Paypal rules in the buyers favor.
Hope this makes sense.

That's why you pay the extra money and require a signature for pick up.
pjt

Post by pjt »

Another fellow European here, from Finland to be exact.
I've recently purchased something like 10+ Spydercos from "Spydieguys" and "Wholesale Knives and Swords". I've had no problems with either of them and my knives have arrived in perfect condition as they have been advertized.
I think the mailing costs add to the price with us Europeans so that we do not have to find the absolute best deal; at least that's how I think. Through eBay you might get better prices for the items but the "regular" netshops might have better options for cheaper mailing.
My mailing costs have been between 20-35 USD when ordering 1-3 knives at a time. When the total amount of items have been around 150 USD or less, the Finnish customs have not been always that awake to collect their duties and taxes (around 20 USD) - the system might be different in Greece though.
We do have places that carry Spydercos but if one is after a particular model/colour/finish/edge, it's like trying to win the lottery.. Which is sad of course, it would be ideal to get to handle the knives before buying. And to support local businesses of course.
Hopefully that helps some,
-pjt
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

Hello friends,

I have to say that I own 13 Folders from Spyderco and all of them I have ordered from the U.s specifically from ebay stores.

As for Spydieguys.com.... I did order from this shop once 3 knifes together and the sharpmaker worth $250 without shipping... and the shipping was $35 and understandable since I ordered 4 items... but it would not make a difference for them if had ordered only 1 item.... and that is not acceptable... 1 to 4 item $35 dollars shipping? That forces you to order more stuff to make it worthy ordering from those guys! And guess what even if you order something worth only 10 -15 dollars you still have to pay the high shipping! But in all fairness it should be mentioned that it is express priority service which can be tracked to your doorstep even in Greece! (But on the other hand in my experience takes longer than 1st class which is cheaper and also traceable till it's departure from the U.s!)

So yeah I will continue ordering my knifes from ebay stores since there is a great discussion here going on here and no one has made the worse experience with those ebay stores!

Thanks to you all for your time and input

Michael
Michael
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

LorenzoL wrote:Spydieguys? I don't think so... The only Jeff that' s great is Jeff from Cutlery Shoppe.
+1 on this. Jeff is at Cutlery Shoppe is my go to guy.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

Jowens wrote:That's why you pay the extra money and require a signature for pick up.
Although I agree with you, sometimes it's easier said than done.