Mule Team 7?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

sal wrote:Hi Ken,

We're currently trying to make kitchen knives in China with 8Cr13 steel.

sal
I do enjoy 8Cr13 steel and kitchen knive....

How about a REAL 8 Inches chef knife????!!

My 5 years old Sanelli is due for retirment!!! ;)

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I don't either - I wish I had more free time. I've got a backlog of bare steel... :(
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

The Deacon wrote:Am trying to see the logic of the Takefu VG-10 core Damascus in a Mule. Just seems like an expensive way to test VG-10.
Perhaps it will be a hammered steel, similar to the new Shun kitchen knives introduced recently. Would look quite nice. I'm very interested in whatever Spyderco does in a damascus. I expect it will be a knife appealing to the eye - a good show piece. And since it's Spyderco, it will be quality too.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Hector Castro wrote:I put a handle on the last mule I own, I want another great piece of steel to put some handles on. Who can blame a guy?
I've still got 4 more to go. I'm still not sure if I want to try my hand at the ZDP mule. I'll probably leave that one alone until I get more confident. I've been using your pictured mules as inspiration. And now that I've practiced on a couple of 9Cr mules, I'm ready to start on the others.

Heck, I can even send you a mule or two to hold you over. I won't even charge your for the service. :p

But all kidding aside, I admire your work.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

dsmegst wrote:I've still got 4 more to go. I'm still not sure if I want to try my hand at the ZDP mule. I'll probably leave that one alone until I get more confident. I've been using your pictured mules as inspiration. And now that I've practiced on a couple of 9Cr mules, I'm ready to start on the others.

Heck, I can even send you a mule or two to hold you over. I won't even charge your for the service. :p

But all kidding aside, I admire your work.
The ZDP seems like a particularly likely suspect for the Halpern Titanium pre-made scales for the reasons we're all aware of?
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

Does anyone think a Coticule would be a good hone for one of these carbon steel mules?
Have you tried one Sal?
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

JNewell wrote:The ZDP seems like a particularly likely suspect for the Halpern Titanium pre-made scales for the reasons we're all aware of?
That's very true. I'm thinking that another pair of removable scales would be good for it. I'll use my last 9Cr mule as the template. Good idea.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

swanseajack wrote:Does anyone think a Coticule would be a good hone for one of these carbon steel mules?
Have you tried one Sal?
Coticule= Sharpening wet stone, right? This is the first I have heard of them, do they work well for other knives?

Any updates on the Next Mule Release?
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I have all the mules except for the ZDP. I was out of the loop for awhile on the posts concerning it and did not get one purchased. Could someone fill me in on the issues with this mule.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

billy blade wrote:I have all the mules except for the ZDP. I was out of the loop for awhile on the posts concerning it and did not get one purchased. Could someone fill me in on the issues with this mule.
The short answer is that some of the ZDP mules were cracking or breaking while being scaled. Original thought was that the heat treat was off and it was too brittle for a fixed blade.

Sal pulled them from the online store and the plan was to re-temper them. After further research, they found that the ZDP Mule alloy was different than the normal production ZDP steel. Re-tempering would not work and they were permanently removed with no word on what becomes of the leftover Mules.

I still have one of the ZDP Mules and expressing my nervousness at attempting to scale it. :p
Dan (dsmegst)

Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Shucks, I thought someone updated this with release information...... Sal ? hint hint!
billy blade

Maybe just a little hint!!!

Post by billy blade »

I'm trying to be as patient as possiable on these knives being released. However, I find myself feeling like a 6 year old on December 24th :D
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

I've already got the shakes man....
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I wish more info had been provided re the ZDP mule. Are we to assume that the chemistry is off on these blades so that it's not really correct to call them ZDP-189? It's some mystery steel that resulted from an error?
Hector Castro

ARe yUo cOnceRned?

Post by Hector Castro »

RevDevil wrote:I've already got the shakes man....

I am very concerned about what is going on over at Spyderco right now. Maybe the person heading up the Mule Team program has been kidnapped. This is the only reason I can think that the program has been help up so long.

If you are the culprit in holding the Mule Team Captain hostage, please release him. The Steel Afi's here will gladly support your psychiatric treatment so we can have our next run of Mules. :D
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

Hector Castro wrote:I am very concerned about what is going on over at Spyderco right now. Maybe the person heading up the Mule Team program has been kidnapped. This is the only reason I can think that the program has been help up so long.

If you are the culprit in holding the Mule Team Captain hostage, please release him. The Steel Afi's here will gladly support your psychiatric treatment so we can have our next run of Mules. :D
My, my, my.... You are attempting to use a bit of the old reverse psychology ehh? Could the current Mule Team Project Manager be locked inside a room with no windows say in...I don't know...DFW? Hmmmm??? :p

If you really need some steel - I guess I can send you one of my S35VN mules and you could scale it for me? I've seen your work...you are NOT human are you? lolz
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Am I hearing voices? Did someone say "Mule" oh I'm sorry. it was Perrin PPT
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Clear the building, Hector is about to go postal... ;)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I'm also greatly anticipating whatever Mule comes out next.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

JNewell wrote:Clear the building, Hector is about to go postal... ;)
LOL :eek:

Not sure if anyone can tell, I am patiently awaiting the release of the next Mule. Maybe patiently is a term used loosely..... there I go, talking to myself again! :D