Driving phony Spydercos off of ebay

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Sequimite

Driving phony Spydercos off of ebay

Post by Sequimite »

I'm still pi$$ed that I was so stupid as to not recognize the counterfeit Volpe I bid on and "won". I'll probably get my money back . . .

Anyway I'm now determined to save other people who are as stupid as I am. Therefore, whenever I see a knife described as a Spyderco which is not, I'm reporting the item to ebay so that the auction gets pulled down. I hope many of you will join me, or if you're already doing it then I'm joining you. With the number of people here who cruise ebay, I think we can effectively shut them down.

I'm not sure what to do about ripoff designs that are not represented as Spydercos. For now I'm leaving those alone since it is a legal gray area.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

I love to report fakes.
tac

Post by tac »

Did you see this thing? I don't know if it's some model of Byrd or just a fake.
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Definitely a fake. Wait, is it still a fake if it isn't a Spyderco or Byrd design, but has a Byrd trademark comet hole and is listed as a Spyderco?
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I report every one/thing that comes across my path--may not make a difference--but I suspect it does. The spyderco listings are pretty darn "clean" compared to many searches. Figure it might also help some poor buyer if, when investigating, ebay has reports. Wish I had a venue for reporting bad drivers,...
tac

Post by tac »

yablanowitz wrote:Definitely a fake. Wait, is it still a fake if it isn't a Spyderco or Byrd design, but has a Byrd trademark comet hole and is listed as a Spyderco?
It's a fake Byrd and a fake Spyderco. :D
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Does ebay actually pull fake reported by user, or only when requested by the real company?
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

jzmtl wrote:Does ebay actually pull fake reported by user, or only when requested by the real company?
they pull them, sometimes too slowly though
JonBasha

Post by JonBasha »

Back to your original story. I too have bought a volpe. How did you realize that it was a fake?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

JonBasha wrote:Back to your original story. I too have bought a volpe. How did you realize that it was a fake?
The fake doesn't have screws fastening down the wood mini scales and the lanyard hole and screw positions at the end of the handle are reversed. The seller only showed the front; on the back the very different clip is a dead give away.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JonBasha wrote:Back to your original story. I too have bought a volpe. How did you realize that it was a fake?
Lots of differences, if you know what to look for, don't assume all eBay seller's are honest, and compare the auction photos with the Spyderco catalog pictures. Among others, the fake's handle lacks the relief cuts for at the back end of the lockbar, the "bug" is engraved/painted rather than cut out, the clip is different, and the wood blobs are secured differently. On the blade, the grind is different and it lacks G&G markings on right side.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Deacon wrote:Lots of differences, . . . G&G markings on right side.
Actually I received my fake and it has the G&G marking. I'll have to drag out my camera to shoot the two side by side.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sequimite wrote:
The Deacon wrote:On the blade, the grind is different and it lacks G&G markings on right side.
Actually I received my fake and it has the G&G marking. I'll have to drag out my camera to shoot the two side by side.
Looked at the photos you posted. Honestly don't see the G&G markings on the fake's blade. I certaninly believe you when you say they're there, hope you'll agree they're not anywhere near as easy to spot.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Deacon wrote:Looked at the photos you posted. Honestly don't see the G&G markings on the fake's blade. I certaninly believe you when you say they're there, hope you'll agree they're not anywhere near as easy to spot.
It's smaller but identical, except for the fact that "G&G" is hollow lettering on the fake and filled with white on the real one. At the right angle (which my photo did not have) it stands out pretty well.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

This one is probably a lot easier to spot then most of course, with the location and feedback and shipping charge but thought I would post the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Super-pret ... 27b19271ed
SteelDragon

pretty knife :)

Post by SteelDragon »

upon further research I see you guys have pointed this one out before, The other listing had a different seller but of course it is still the same person just changed his ebay name. Maybe the reports to ebay got him removed before so hopefully reports on his current listing will get him removed again.

here is the previous listing for anyone that didnt see it before.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Super-pret ... 6559659489
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Funny thing about the volpe seller--also likely propping up bids to make look more legit--check out the bid history of the sole bidder on the current BS volpe:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... e_ViewLink
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i just reported this one...not a copy but using the name

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0431624962
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Everytime I see a fake/copy I report it then I put it in my watch area to follow up and see if it gets pulled. This stuff burns me up.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.