No Spiders or Arachnids for Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FIMS

No Spiders or Arachnids for Spyderco?

Post by FIMS »

I've often wondered why Spyderco has not used any Spider or Arachnid names for their models of knives.

I can only think of the Scorpion/Scorpious as of recent.

Anything I have missed?
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

funny as I have wondered the same thing!

Maybe because "black widow" or "brown recluse", is nothing you would want in your pants pocket ;) :p :rolleyes:

I think it would be pretty cool though to have a few models named after them :)
Vic
unit

Post by unit »

I can only speculate why that is, but I am glad that they do not.

Just my opinion (that probably is best NOT consulted by those modeling the direction for Spyderco's business model), but if given a choice, I like knives that have names that rarely associated with things that might scare an average person.

Bug, Cricket, Adventura, Co-Pilot, and Worker are great names IMO.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

StangBang wrote:
Maybe because "black widow" or "brown recluse", is nothing you would want in your pants pocket ;) :p :rolleyes:
HA! But, I must agree:

"small number of bites produce severe dermonecrotic lesions, and, sometimes, severe systemic symptoms. These symptoms can include organ damage, and occasionally even death; most fatalities are in children under 7[7] or those with a weaker than normal immune system. (For a comparison of the toxicity of several kinds of spider bites, see the list of spiders having medically significant venom.)
A minority of brown recluse spider bites form a necrotizing ulcer that destroys soft tissue and may take months to heal, leaving deep scars. The damaged tissue will become gangrenous and eventually slough away." wikipedia
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

a lot are also designs by others that have names already-
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Would be too cliché given the company name.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

If there was a Spyderco Multi-tool, it would definately have to have 8 tools to it, and be called the Tarantula!
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

jzmtl wrote:Would be too cliché given the company name.
this
In omnia paratus
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

I agree. Hey man, just picked up a Spyderco Spider.
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FIMS wrote:I've often wondered why Spyderco has not used any Spider or Arachnid names for their models of knives.

I can only think of the Scorpion/Scorpious as of recent.

Anything I have missed?
Probably you did.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=194
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Also the name is derived from the fact that European sports convertibles are usually called a "spyder", to lend the name an air of class and exclusivity, and does not come from a bug. At least according to the book "Spyderco Story: The New Shape of Sharp". Now, how the logo came about, not sure..
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

There's also the Spyderfly.
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

You just blew my mind!
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

monsterdog wrote:Also the name is derived from the fact that European sports convertibles are usually called a "spyder", to lend the name an air of class and exclusivity, and does not come from a bug. At least according to the book "Spyderco Story: The New Shape of Sharp". Now, how the logo came about, not sure..
spyder = convertible
In omnia paratus
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Yep, this. It'd be pretty lame if they made a bunch of stuff that aped the company name, but I think it's really cool when the the spider company makes knives with cute names, like Ladybug.

monsterdog wrote:Also the name is derived from the fact that European sports convertibles are usually called a "spyder", to lend the name an air of class and exclusivity, and does not come from a bug. At least according to the book "Spyderco Story: The New Shape of Sharp". Now, how the logo came about, not sure..
As I recall, Sal's love of sports cars was only a part of the incentive for going with that name. His first product was that mechanical hand device that resembled a spider, which led to the company name.

However, just like Kumo is Japanese for spider, Spin is Dutch for spider. The word is similar in various other European languages too. So they do use spider names occasionally, but they have the good sense to do it in subtle and clever ways, rather than getting hung up on their company mascot.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

to me it would sound too tacky, never thought of it till now but im glad they havent done it.
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

SaturnNyne wrote:Spin is Dutch for spider.
Good one Sir! :D

Sal told us in Amsterdam that it can be sometimes quite difficult tot find a good name for a model. The name has to be fitting, original, non treatening, etcetera. I can imangine this and want to compliment the crew with the names, much names are really fitting.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Note: many Arthropoid names (Bug, Ladybug, Honeybee, Grasshopper, Dragonfly, etc. ) but FEW Arachnoid names (Scorpius, Kumo), the former Arthropoid names being specifically Insectoid - to clarify:

Under the phylum Arthropoda :
Class Arachnida (Scorpius, Kumo fit here)
Class Insecta (All Insect names)

I might propose class Crustacea names for future H1 Salt series knives with obvious purpose.

summarily:
Crustacea, Insecta, Arachnida = all classes under the Phylum Arthropoda.

</biogeek>
:D
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
tikkidaddy
Location: marietta sc...but im not sure if its on earth though!!

Lunch?

Post by tikkidaddy »

Spyderco Mudbug? Crawdaddy? Rajun Yabbies? red FRN handles?...ok so we already got "lob--beesters...ill give ya that...micro lobster w/ cayenne, salt, crab boil, lemon, corn, sausage, onion, garlic, potatoe, etc..would ugly up a blade.,,
"I hate the thought of killing anything, its the last thing I would advise, but as a matter of survival, all creatures are fair game."-- Les Stroud.

I wonder if spyders feel that way too??--mark.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

defenestrate wrote:Note: many Arthropoid names (Bug, Ladybug, Honeybee, Grasshopper, Dragonfly, etc. ) but FEW Arachnoid names (Scorpius, Kumo), the former Arthropoid names being specifically Insectoid - to clarify:

Under the phylum Arthropoda :
Class Arachnida (Scorpius, Kumo fit here)
Class Insecta (All Insect names)

I might propose class Crustacea names for future H1 Salt series knives with obvious purpose.

summarily:
Crustacea, Insecta, Arachnida = all classes under the Phylum Arthropoda.

</biogeek>
:D
Funny! Just got back from North Carolina. Me and my boys were on the beach catching sand fleas. Looking at them made me think of a Cricket-like knife with H-1 steel called a Sand Flea. Crazy the way a knife obsession makes one think...
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.